1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 3rd gen common issues before buying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Haschwalt, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Miight as well buy extended warranty coverage with such a long list :LOL:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good luck collecting on those items though. :rolleyes:

Haschwalt and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Extended warranty plans are disreputable. I think just socking away $30-50 a month over 5 years makes more sense. It seems the major issue is the EGR assembly destroying the engine, or the oil burning issue, but honestly, the oil burning issue isn't really that bad if you just check your oil and refill - it's what like $30-50 more per year? Minor nuisance.

So we're talking like $1,000 for the intake assembly being replaced every say 100k miles or so, and possibly a timing chain cover reseal job for ~$1,000? So $2,000 for say 8.33 years (12k miles a year makes 100k miles), or sock away $20 a month. Let's say $4,000 for the other miscellaneous crap like brakes, wheels, blah blah. So $40 month over 8.33 years or $4k. Or spend what $1700 for a 7 year extended warranty ($20/month) that probably won't cover something anyways.

Am I missing any major repair costs?

How about service jobs at major mile points? Timing chain, water pump, belts, transmission/brake fluid/etc. changes? What are the big costs there and what miles?

Per AAA, "Maintenance is $766.50 and tires are $147 per year. Combining the two, we’re at $913.50, and that looks about right for late model cars" - so after 8.33 years about $7600 in repairs/maintenance vs. Prius at say ~$2,000-4,000 for the Prius. Prius is still way cheaper than most other makes/models.

#43 Haschwalt, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The timing chain cover leak is more of a weepage than a leak. Not worth the time or expense to repair in its own;).

The egr circuit cleanse can be done at your labor rate (which is free in my case):).

So even though there are weak points in the Gen3, they can be sorted easily as at very little cost(y).

RMB, Grit and Haschwalt like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd double check arithmetic, that's 1,000 miles a month. You'll be better of with a camry, or corolla or civic finance wise.

6. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean 100k miles at 12k miles a year is 8.33 years so 1,000 miles a month. Or about 50 miles a day M-F.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you hit the defect lottery, you're not going to have all those problems on one car.

keep an eye on all maintenance, check the egr every so many miles with menders technique and clean as necessary.
    add an occ if you want, sock away a couple grande as you can and you're good to go.

there are lots of people with 150-250k with no major issues, but it's good to be prepared

8. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Third Gen Prius Maintenance Schedule

Here is a good summary of the scheduled maintenance for the Gen3 Prius up to 120,000 miles. Worth noting: There are no indicator lights for low oil, low inverter coolant, low engine coolant, or low brake fluid. (The lights will only tell you when your engine has seized, inverter has overheated, engine has seized again, and brakes have stopped functioning.) Also, by the time the TPMS light comes on ("low tire fluid"?), you've already lost quite a bit of efficiency - and are now into the range where it might be getting unsafe. Pop your hood once in a while, and check ALL of 'em.

1) Oil changes and new filter every 10,000 miles (0W20 synthetic oil). The owner manual recommends checking the oil level every time you gas up.
    2) Replace the air filter every 30,000 miles
    3) Replace engine/inverter coolant at 100,000 miles
    4) Replace spark plugs at 120,000 miles
    5) Change brake fluids every 3 years or 36,000 miles (FWIW, while Toyota USA says nothing about brake fluid, Toyota Canada now says to replace it every 3 years or 48K kms, whichever comes first.)
    6) Prius chat gurus recommend an ATF change (transmission fluid/transaxle fluid) at 30,000 miles then every 60,000 miles based on used ATF analysis. Per @JimboPalmer "This is Prius specific, but we are not changing it because it is transmission fluid, we are changing it because microscopic pieces of metals short out the windings of the Motor/Generators, burning off their insulation. We want or ATF to be a clean nonmetallic fluid to cool electric motors."
    7) “There is a serpentine belt on the ten 2 that needs replacing around 100k, but it's cheap and easy.”
    8) Have the brake calipers freed up and lubricated annually to postpone expensive brake repairs (Toyota USA says tri-annually or 30K miles, which seems about right.)
    9) Inspect the brakes and lube the caliper pins as necessary, especially in salt country.
    10) Check the coolant level in the reservoir every month or so, a good habit to get into. The factory Toyota coolant is considered long life and shouldn’t need a change for at least 5 years or 100,000 miles. Also a good idea to check the translucent brake fluid reservoir which is near the firewall on the passenger side: your left side with the hood open and facing the car. If you do need to add coolant, DO NOT use the green stuff you get at the store! you need special toyota coolant. it's red. There are two separate coolant reservoirs, one for the gas motor and one for the electric inverter. Due to the requirement to keep the inverter at a sane temperature, it needs liquid cooling. Kind of neat how Toyota could package two separate cooling systems into such a small space. Assuming the Pre Delivery Inspection was actually done by your dealer, all the fluids should be at the proper level. The coolant reservoirs are translucent and the coolant is a pinkish/reddish color, so the level is very apparent. The inverter coolant reservoir it near the firewall and is easiest to check, the engine reservoir is near the front of the hood but still pretty easy to check. The coolant is also good to -40 minimum, so you shouldn’t have to do anything extra to prepare for winter.
    11) Wheels balanced every 5k miles (3,000 - 6,000 miles (5,000 km - 10,000 km or more). Wheel alignment every two-three years (when you replace tires).
    12) Check windshield fluid periodically.

POSSIBLE REPAIRS:

1) EGR Valve, EGR pipe, EGR circuit, intake manifold, & EGR cooler inspection every 50k-100k miles? If neglected, engine misfire upon acceleration; replace the intake manifold assembly ($1,000) or clean it (DIY might be tricky but doable).

“With the EGR (full system, not just the valve) I would suggest to start by checking just the EGR connector pipe, between EGR valve and intake manifold. This is relatively easy to access/remove. @NutzAboutBolts has a video on this, includes removal of the airbox for access (pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance forum).

I would say check it every 50K miles, at the least, and be prepared to do a full EGR and Intake Manifold cleaning around 100K miles at the latest.

Again, there's @NutzAboutBolts videos, on both the Intake Manifold cleaning, and the full EGR cleaning. And Oil Catch Can install. The latter will vary, depending on the can you get, and there's lots of options for install.

2) Watch out for oil burning issues after ~75k-100k miles
    3) Rodent proof the car (lol)
    4) They eat rear brakes every 40k miles or less. Tires are 40k.
    5) I have learned Prius' have weak wheel bearings since they are made to be so efficient apparently. Replaced a rear one after only 70k miles.
    8) inverter, brake actuator, a/c compressor
    9) Oil flap

Notes: Keep an eye on all maintenance, check the EGR every so many miles with menders technique and clean as necessary., add an occ (oil catch can) if you want, sock away a couple grande as you can and you're good to go.

Other:
    1. Number one on the hit parade: inspect/clean the EGR circuit
    2. Timing chain lasts 'forever' - maybe around 150-250k miles
    3. If you have over 100k miles, I would buy a water pump belt and store it with the spare tire. This way if it every breaks, at least you have the belt (and any mechanic can install it).
    4. Check the ENGINE air filter more often (only takes a sec) and clean replace as needed. same with cabin filter
    5. I think your best bet for the battery is to get a cracked version of Techstream so you can run a drain-down test. Techstream has the added benefit of showing you any DTC that has ever occurred apparently when you do the health report. Borrow a friend's Prius to try it out first so you know the software and drivers have been loaded properly and how to accomplish that test.
    6. Another option is to get an OBDII bluetooth adapter and run the Dr. Prius App which does a run down test that estimates % of battery life left. Doesn't do everything that Techstream does but is inexpensive and easy. I would use one or the other before buying a used Prius.
    7. The timing chain cover leak is more of a weepage than a leak. Not worth the time or expense to repair in its own: “On a gen 3 expect the timing cover to need a reseal job between 50-65k miles or more. It's a $1000 (maybe $1700+) job." – ANSWER: I think they mean the timing chain cover? If that's leaking copiously, yeah, and $1000 is low end; I think $1700 was mentioned a lot, and higher. You can check for yourself how it's doing: take off the front passenger side wheel, one or two fasteners on the plastic panel at the inside face of the wheel well, and flex it back, for a look at the bottom of the timing chain cover. If oil is leaking it will end up down there - #32
    8. Things like brake fluid (DOT 3), transmission fluid (Toyota branded WS) and antifreeze...are NOT lifetime fluids.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#48 Haschwalt, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    inspect the brakes and lube the caliper pins as necessary, especially in salt country.

check the air filter more often (only takes a sec) and clean replace as needed.

same with cabin filter

and number one on the hit parade: inspect/clean the egr circuit

Haschwalt likes this.
  10. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That EGR tip is very useful. Would have totally missed that if it wasn't for this forum and you guys! There was just a recent thread of someone having the EGR issue, & the repair cost was in the $5k range. Yikes!

Do any of you do rust protection for the undercarriage & other areas in salt country? Dealer quoted me $1,000 which seems excessive.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you aren’t sealing out the salt right at the absolute get-go, there’s no point. It’s already in there. The car will last the same 12-21 years they all do in salty winter environments.

Haschwalt likes this.
  12. Haschwalt

Haschwalt Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a pristine condition Prius I'm looking to fly to California to buy, and then keep around NYC & occasionally visit family in upstate NY in the winters. $1,000 is a bit too much for rust proofing, so not sure what a reasonable fee would be.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I’m still not sure I’d bother. But then I see a Prius as the right car for a lot of miles rather than for a lot of years.

Grit and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you’re out here away from the salt belt, you can have it both ways:).

Cars like this still exist in very good condition:
    4F42421E-C4C5-4A7E-A878-99BA50E6018E.jpeg

That’s a 91 corolla that’s gotten a little love recently to last another 28 years(y).

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

:ROFLMAO:

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That’s a simple car. Perfect for long-term ownership. We also have an old simple car and it is phenomenal for low-cost operation. The mileage is not as good as our Prius, but on one long drive last week I did get 45.2 MPG. I figure that’s not bad for a car that I can replace for $2500 if I had to.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1,000 miles a month, I'd go with that car also. The only way to reap the cost saving of gas/a prius would be drive far and often.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh it’s simple alright;).

But the 3 speed automatic screams on the freeway at 65 mph:eek:.

Didnthe trans fluid flush a couple of weeks back and the fluid in there was dark:cool:.

But you see a lot of Gen1’s out here which are now at least 16 years old:).

They can last as long as you know what to do or know someone who does(y).

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mmm, yeah. Our simplecar is a Hyundai Accent. I do appreciate the 4th gear on that auto. I change ATF frequently- and it is due in the next month. Rarely hear more than 2800 RPM from the 1.6. The A/C is still frosty-perfect and that’s the end of the feature list. Buckle up and drive.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No cruise control on the corolla and it has AC:).

But it was shorting out on its owner, so she kept replacing the fuse:cool:.

Found a bare spot on the wire near the compressor, covered that and back in the cool(y).