1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Aftermarket headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by MagnusAG99, Dec 25, 2017.

1. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, anyone here who knows about any aftermarket headlights like the G`s headlights? The G`s headlights got the awesome looking parklight LED strip on the bottom there. That i also could use as DRL`s at day like... i could just turn on the parking light instead of the whole projector and stuff, or i could maybe wire it differently so they r on all the time or just something So yea... thats what im looking for. In Norway its not legal to install LED strips in the headlights or anything like that... (stupid rules) and the headlights gotta be E-marked/certified. Ultimatly i would buy the G`s headlights but they cost like freakin $2800. Anyone here who knows about any other AF headlights? something with good light spreading and stuff also. I got the stock 2010-2011 LED headlights now btw. I really likethe light they r giving out, much better then cars with only one projector in each light. I hav ebeen thinking about the 2012-2015 facelift headlights. But yea... something like the G`s wouldve been great. And if anybody knows about any LED strips thats E-marked that would be greatly appreciated also.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I see some other company sells these custom type lights for the Prius C with DRL`s, does anyone know if they r to come out with ones for the normal prius to? NHP10 Aqua Prius C 2012-2014 Altezza Style Headlight Tail Light Fog Lamp LED DRL | eBay[​IMG]

#1 MagnusAG99, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the record, the G's components are not aftermarket. The G's trim level (grade 7) is all OEM.

If you're forbidden from retrofitting or modding an OEM headlight, then I don't think you're going to find a better headlight than the G's.

Unfortunately, the G's headlights are made for RHD roads. If the police in your country are super picky, they might have issue with your blinding oncoming traffic on the left. So, even the G's lights will need to be modded to be 100% copacetic.

MagnusAG99, apt5020 and Burna J like this.
  3. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is that in Norway u cant even change out a bulb with LED without it being illegal... only if the lights got original LED in its housing, if u wanna change to LED`s u gotta change the whole lamp with one that is ECE approved for LED.
    The states road authority here r douche bags... (not just when it comes to light but also when it comes to everything car related). But yea...

And ahh lol, guess i mispoke about the G`s lights then lol, i knew they were original on prius in japan. And grade 7? damn... we only got to grade 4 here... like, we got different names on the packages but with the same equipment, it sucks that they never sold The G`s in Norway, if u walked into the dealership here and asked for it they probably wouldnt even know it existed... same with the damn Prime... i asked them if it comes to Norway anytime soon and they were just like "huh? that doesnt exist..." but then 4 months later its getting sold in Norway as the "prius plug in" lol.

But yea.. In norway they would never EU approve my car with those lights if the lights where adjustet as they r in britain and japan... Except if it was a real JDM. The priuses sold here isnt JDM so yea, lol. but since its original toyota that means they r SAE and ECE marked then? I think all lights in japan gotta be some sort of E-certified to... (all lights here have to be ECE marked, only american imported cars can be SAE marked after american standard). Dont they got adjustement screws on the back like the LED lights for the 2011? like a little screw thingy u screw on and the headlights adjusts up and down?

4. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is interesting tho... vipmotoz didn’t say they weren’t intersted in making AF headlights for the Prius?

Attached Files:

5. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The JDM HID units do indeed have adjustment screws, like any other headlight assembly. But the issue is that the cut-off plates inside the projector are designed to shape the light beam differently.

hid-cotoff-plate.png

Notice that the beam is shaped to throw light higher on one side than the other.

hld-vs-rhd-beam-pattern.png

In either case, the headlights will give you better visibility for road signs, pedestrians, bicyclists, and any obstacles to the side of the road, while sparing the oncoming traffic as much glare as possible.

hid-beam.png

Perhaps it's my stubborn American nature to defy authority --- but if it was me living in Norway, I'd mod the lights any way I wanted and do it in such a way that they're indistinguishable from the OEM product in outward appearance and performance.

Marcilla Smith and Burna J like this.
  6. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yea, thats what im thinking about doing, its just that in norway they r such nazzies at anything car related... it has to be certfied everywhere with stupid certfications and shit... like, an example is the ECE certification that we have to have on all lights. The SAE certfication is stricter then E certfication and still we r not allowed to use SAE lights... Theyre just control freaks, but yea... what im thinking about doing is just adjust the left one further down and the right one higher up, so it atleast doesnt blend anyone. We do got this rule in norway that says we r not allowed to modify lights, like adding light strips and stuff like that...

7. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But one thing Dylan, i just got an idea... the headlight cut off plates, r they the same dimension as the Halogen prius lights? what if u take out the cut off plate and halogen projector from a righthanddriving country version and replace the Prius G`s headlight cut off plates and projector with it?
    [​IMG]
    Like... u take off the projector from these and add them in these? [​IMG]Do u think they r the same dimensions? i would maybe imagine they r... why would toyota make a complete new set of prjectors when they can just use the one from the halogen base version?

8. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The halogen light assembly and the G's HID assembly look similar on the outside, and I can see why you might have hopes that the internals are interchangeable. Unfortunately, they're not. On the inside these two headlights are nothing alike.

For example, here's a photo I took of a halogen cutoff plate.
    20151224_125129.jpg

I took it from this particular angle to highlight the rectangular hole underneath the cutoff line which is used to create the so called "squirrel finder" beam.

upload_2018-1-7_14-35-52.png

This is why halogen cutoff plates are not okay with HID bulbs.

In comparison, check out this G's HID cutoff plate.
    IMG_0872.JPG

These two bits of hardware are no-way interchangeable. :confused:

There are many threads on this topic. In short, there is no low cost, low effort, plug-n-play path to awesome headlight nirvana.

There are definitely low cost, plug-n-play, solutions. But they're not likely to pass a safety inspection of any rigor. To get great HID headlights that will pass a safety inspection your solution is going to require money, effort, and skills.

Burna J likes this.
  9. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yea i guess... sucks that noone have made aftermarket lights thats somewhat looks like the G`s headlights yet.. theyve made it for the prius C and V, so why not the regular... The LED parking light stripe on the G`s just look perfect and the prius shouldve had those headlights from the start lol. Ive tried to find solutions to cover up the parking light on the LED 2011 headlights. I just think it looks way better with the cover u can buy to put over the parking lights. U know these eyelid covers. Im gonna get that aimgain front bumper to and the eyelid covers just really finishes up the look. [​IMG]

What i have been thinking about doing is making a light that looks like the G`s from the halogen version. Using a switchback DRL, dimmed DRL and blinker tube where the G`s got its stripe and stuff. but yea, thats also expensive lol, I guess i just have to keep looking to find a solution. I know that it exists DRL lights with certified parking light function atleast. Which means that i can take away the parking light in the headlight. In Norway its only legal to have two lights in the color white lighting forwards on each side as parking light, but then again "we r not allowed to modify our headlights". We dont even know whats legal and not lol, the different garages that EU approves vehicles here makes up their own rules and shit to and noone stops them... The rules here got so many flaws its ridiculous... most of them r only rules for the old reflector lights and not for the newer ones with projectors.

#9 MagnusAG99, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Dylan Doxey likes this.
  10. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: How to buy and import JDM car parts from Japan | Balancing Act

One thing i am confused over tho.. is that there is two versions of these lights? its the Prius G`s and the PHV?
    Apparently the Plug in prius in japan came with the G`s headlights just with halogen bulbs instead of HID. i even got the part numbers for the two differnet lights.

Part numbers for ZVW30 G's spec HID head lights are (not including ballasts and bulbs):

• 81110-47571 - G's spec HID head light, RH
    • 81150-47571 - G's spec HID head light, LH
    • [​IMG]

Part numbers for ZVW35 PHV Prius head lamps are (not including ballasts and bulbs):

• 81185-47411 - ZVW35 PHV Prius head lamp, LH
    • 81145-47411 - ZVW35 PHV Prius head lamp, RH
    • [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like the plug in version got a blue tone on the top but the Gs got the black tone.

also shit loads of auctions from Japan where they sell the G`s headlights pretty cheap.. on hybrid pit they sell em for like 3200 dollars, here u can get them for like a 10th of the price. Its just the damn cut off plates thats the issue.
    The guy on the Blog says that the halogen version might blend om coming traffic but the HID may not if u adjust them?

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=zvw30&auccat=2084197960&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce

11. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't want to be the party pooper, but there really is no easy way out.

With my JDM G's headlights, I just "adjusted them down" so I wouldn't blind oncoming traffic. I did it. It works. The problem is that sometimes you actually need to see where you're going. If you're on a dark road with no supplemental lighting it can genuinely get very scary. It's truly dangerous.

So, what I did was I gave a set of the HID cutoff plates to a machinist friend and asked him to shave the cutoff plate flat.

Compare this with the picture above:
    [​IMG]
    (credit @Burna J )

Here is the BEFORE spread (adjusted down to avoid blinding oncoming traffic):
    [​IMG]

Here is the AFTER spread on the same street:
    [​IMG]

(see: www.priuschat.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-ur-gen-iii-prius-today.112616/page-667#post-2433869)

Mission Accomplished. What a relief it was. After spending $1200 USD for the lights, the additional couple of hundred for spare parts and machine work was worth it.

On the matter of the cost of buying JDM lights on Yahoo auctions, I advise you to be VERY cautious about any bargains. If you get a set of lights that's missing anything, such as projectors, ballasts, adapter harnesses, access covers, or anything missing at all, you'll end up losing your savings by sourcing the additional parts separately.

Burna J and MagnusAG99 like this.
  12. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P.S.

I never noticed this ...

upload_2018-1-10_19-56-3.png

Are you sure these are Halogens? Maybe @sfv41901 knows something about these?

MagnusAG99 likes this.
  13. MagnusAG99

MagnusAG99 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and yea.. according to the guy on that blog its two different ones, i asked a OEM toyota dealer on ebay and he said it was a JDM part he couldnt get in stock.
    He didnt really show em lighting up but thats what he claims... cheaper version with halogens.

and yea, i was thinking about getting some cut off plates maybe machine worked or something. My old school got machines like that and the teachers never says no on making parts like these. They also got 3d printers lol, but i bet that the plastic would melt.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  14. Arkadiusz

Arkadiusz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have such LED lights but I do not shine and I am looking for some kind of wiring diagram for Led

15. PutPutMobile

PutPutMobile Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    22028F83-91E8-4634-8F96-DCDF520FE1C7.jpeg
    If your on a budget, just paint that sucka.