1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement (GenII) Like you've never seen - NEW Cylindrical Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that the answer to the first question I asked?

I am genuinely interested to know your credentials or training as it goes directly to your credibility.
    Probably more a case of very suspicious of the new kid on the block coming in guns blazing in attack mode.

Seen it before.

They usually swoop in and then disappear just as quick.

#81 dolj, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Cute.

Clearly not reading what I post. No problem.

My credentials aren't relevant. 3rd party data provided. Descriptions of physical dimensions and characteristics that are self-evident with a touch of conclusions based on the supplied facts. Even if you dismiss the conclusions, you can't argue with the data provided or the parts you can see for yourself just by looking.

Essentially, you are taking the position that if a 3rd party, such as a journalist, presents data you can verify through other channels is NOT an authority in the field of the data presented, the article/information is not credible. I don't think it works that way.

You should really do a personal assessment of your motivation, objectivity and effort you're exerting to embrace completely unsubstantiated claims and reject claims supported by 3rd party data or data you can see for yourself.

toymo and kenoarto like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm genuinely interested in your credentials and I've read all you've written in response to the OPs claims.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not trying to be cute or anything else.
    Well kind of, if I am going to pay attention to what someone is saying I do really need to know they know what they are talking about. I can accept an article from a writer with no expertise in the subject, but it is whole lot more credible coming from a writer with expertise in the subject.
    I actually am not embracing or rejecting anything in particular at this point, and my motivation is to ensure I have a good understanding of not just what is said, but also who is saying it and why. Nothing more at this point.

#84 dolj, Jul 21, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll try to say this again in a different way.

OP says he is running cylindrical batteries in his car.
    He documents with pics and info on what he is doing.
    He offers to sell similar setup to other people, identifies pricing, etc

Other people can do it if they want... or not.

The negative reaction to someone sharing what they are doing kind of stifles any conversation on alternatives.
    I don't get it.

As far as warranty from China there issue can be quality, sure, but it can also be simply a matter of logistics.
    The OP is being transparent that there is no warranty rather than trying to be coy or offering a false hard-to-redeem warranty.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think BK310 has issues with the claims of the China batteries being superior to that of Toyota batteries. The data he is sharing is to debunk the superiority claim

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i understand disagreement and fact posting. it would be helpful to eliminate attack mode, as that intimates hidden agenda.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a little controversial as I see PriusChat has a sales orientated mission, coupled with other side discussions that of course tend to predominate.

If Prius batteries continue to die at the rate we see for say 2004-2006 models, we will have an enormous bumper crop of bad batteries down the road as sales increased in the 2008-2012 period. However on the surface anecdotally it seems to me batt failure rates are going down since 2008, so maybe Toyota has improved reliability (from good to excellent) as they moved into Gen3.

There is a curious question, if it costs $2000 for a NiMH, how can Prime be so darn cheap for a much larger Li battery?

kenoarto likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thankyou for trying to say what I am trying to say in another way.

On the warranty, that's exactly what it is. There are lots of companies that are offering a warranty and I seriously doubt you will ever collect on it. I see claims on eBay all the time for cells with 1 year or 6 month "warranties" and then you read the stories here how every claim is denied because it was installation error, or the seller just gets up and leaves, or makes a new user account, etc. That's shady. I've invested the better part of a decade on PriusChat and other Prius related mediums so it would be really inconvenient for ME to disappear! lol

I say no warranty, have never said otherwise. I have the intention of offering a goodwill style replacement for any early failures, but I want to be clear this isn't a warranty or a promise to offer one. It is like all the other things I sell on eBay, Amazon, etc. If it breaks and it seems accidental or a manufacturing defect, I will replace it, usually ship it out free too. Again no promise to do this, no warranty expressed or implied now or in the future. And one person's hypothetical goodwill replacement does not mean a pattern.

I'd be interested to see what everyday items he uses that aren't from China! Even most Japanese and Korean companies are doing the actual manufacturing in China. Not to mention almost every US company making there stuff in China. China has top of the line manufacturing and test capabilities just because they do so much they can afford to spend on the highest end equipment and easily make it back up. My local assembly shop has an x-ray machine for BGA (Ball Grid Array) components from the late 1980's. My Chinese PCB assembler has an MRI style machine that does a full 3D image with thin skin slices like a high end brain scan. They can tell exactly how the ball has compressed onto the pad and if/where any cracks are. The x-ray just gives you a 2D top down black/white blob that you can tell by the size of blob if it is compressed enough...

Anyways, here is a small sample of qualifications for the electrified automotive market from about 6 years ago. It is not hard to figure out what company this is, but again obfuscation because I am not in the business of taking credit for everything. No NDA here, but a fun project. Most of the BMS system, instrumentation system, charge system, and even the system that turned the blinkers on and off was done by yours truly. Note the red 2006 Prius on the left with the non-stock wheels... That whole truck is electric, no gas engine.

IMG_20110312_004320_smaller.jpg

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At production volumes, you can get NiMH for about $550/KWh. Prius is 14*14.4*6.5*550/1000 = $720 of NiMH cells. That would be approximately what Toyota pays for only the cells inside a pack. Thanks in large part to Tesla, A123, and even cell phone companies, Lithium packs as long ago as the end of last year were being priced at around $180/KWh to $270KWh. There is a large variation in chemistry and architecture.

As of today, not only is Lithium denser, meaning more juice for the same footprint or a smaller footprint for the same juice, but it quickly becoming the cheapest option. Everything is lithium today. There was a study showing that about 96% or 97% (going off of memory) of all hybrids/electrics sold by major auto manufacturers were Lithium recently and in the next wave of MY changes, it will be nearly 100%.

NiMH is dead for cars. But there are a few millions of these cars on the road and the pack will eventually die. The packs will likely become more expensive over time as the used market for packs dries up due to age and the only source being new packs that the auto-makers do not want to make. Why make a $2K pack for a car that's worth $2K in value? They do now because they are forced to by warranty laws. I do not believe it will financial sense to do so in the future. Just like I can't find any parts for my DeLorean except for some New Old Stock from the early 1980's when it was made and aftermarket things. And when you do want a new part, the price is 10x or more what it was or should be, and everytime one gets sold you know it since the price of all the remaining ones jumps.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "NiMH cells have an alkaline electrolyte, usually potassium hydroxide. The positive electrode is nickel hydroxide, and the negative electrode is hydrogen ions, or protons. The hydrogen ions are stored in a metal-hydride structure that is the electrode."

So not acid but a base, but the point is a corrosive liquid that can leak out in some failure modes, right?.

#91 wjtracy, Jul 21, 2017
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wth?!? Toyota batteries have reliable, 3-year warranties. And cost the same as this unproven prototype. This semi-new copycat system is going have to be MUCH cheaper and have a longer track record to be considered anything other than a VERY expensive science experiment. Hell, any real world data would is essential before a $2000 purchase. 2k1Toaster should be giving these things away for testing well before he tries to make any profit. Do I really need to remind anyone of the well intentioned EnginerPIP failure?

toymo and strawbrad like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do we know how much toyota pays for a prime battery, or if they are making, breaking even, losing money, or need carb credits?

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Todd at Tampa Hybrids did a conversion using a 2016 NiMH modules and putting into Gen2. It seems to have worked well. So Toyota would have to at least service the 2016 NiMH batteries for a good 10+ years with parts. By 2026, the Gen2 cars will probably be in junkyards.

Also Panasonic doesn't even produce these batteries anymore. I was told the following information from a friendly source.

Panasonic EV Energy produced Honda/Toyota cells from 1996 to 2010. 60% Panasonic ownership, 40% Toyota.
    Panasonic divested itself of EV Energy to 20% with Toyota holding 80% sometime in the 06-09 time frame. This was to alleviate monopoly concerns when they acquired Sanyo.
    In 2010, Panasonic EV Energy changed their name to Primearth EV Energy.

Also keep in mind these modules are not only in Prius cars. They are in many other cars (listed below, but there may be more). Different configurations but using the same 6 cell modules. I don't think these will be in short supply. Even GM SUV's use them, 40 in a pack.

Lexus CT200 (28), GS450h (40)
    Camry (34)
    Altima (34)
    Prius (28)
    GM SUV (Yukon, Escalade, etc.) (40)

kenoarto, Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are welcome to not purchase if you don't want it. I think I have been rather clear that this is currently a hobbiest DIY solution and have called would-be first adopters guinea pigs multiple times. Also welcome to develop your own kit and give your time away for free, and I won't rain on your parade for doing so. I have mailed out about 18 of my CAN to USB adapters that I designed and produced here on PriusChat as a weird side project long ago with a little OLED screen. Never intended to sell them, got some PMs, mailed them out for free. I intend to sell this. Different story.

The Toyota pack has a warranty and the backing of Toyota for slightly more ONLY if you do installation yourself and return your old pack for the $1.3k core charge. If you buy $2k worth of kit and new cells my way, you end up with 28 extra stock cells, 26-27 of which should be very usable. Sell them on eBay for about $700 after fees, and now you have a $1.3k kit with brand new cells and no warranty. I am being very upfront about this and the onus is on the seller to get rid of their own cells. I seem to sell a few original Toyota modules online every day, easy money to just post for sale and let the cash roll in to get rid of used but functional cells.

wrprice likes this.
  16. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes the KOH is a very strong base and usually looks like a white chaulky powder when it accumulates around the terminals. However the part underneath begins to corrode and that's what you see. The white powder is the KOH, the remaining stuff is the evidence that it was there. Along with a few warning triangles over the years about a "HV Isolation Leak" that have gone away after replacing the pack...

"Battery Acid" is used mostly in lead acid batteries (surprise!) however I am not trying to be super technical. You start getting the deer in headlights look when you say anything that starts sounding "chemistry like". But "battery acid", people are aware is "goo that leaks out of a battery" and that's what I've got. I doubt many people remember the differences between their bases and acids let alone the chemical makeup of a battery.

Same reason why I just smile and say "not quite" when someone concludes that I as an electrical engineer with a focus in power level semiconductors does the same job as the guy that puts lightswitches in houses. Explaining the existence of a semiconductor is actually a very difficult process to people who have little knowledge in the field let alone the minutia that separate them. Also why my basic electric engineering debug advise is "if you see the smoke and let the magic genie out of the part, it probably won't work anymore".

17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know you can't just put a price in $/kWh on a battery. A 1 kWh battery in a hybrid must cope with 20C, 60kWh battery in EV does not so it can have lower $/kWh price. PHEV battery is somewhere in between, I don't beleive Toyota is loosing money on Prime.

18. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Exactly. I've already indicated that I accept it as an option; however, every single claim of superiority is false and unsupported.

I'm just an enthusiast with a technical degree in a technical field, i.e., nerd.

toymo and kenoarto like this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tough crowd. Toaster has been here a long time many years and knows what he's talking about. Bk's been here a few days and taking him to town. Geesh.
    I wish you well toaster. Keep it coming.

20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I consider myself an enthusiast and have a Chemical Engineering degree in the chemical industry (a fairly technical field). I don't see the need to be contrary for the sake of being such ;).

Life is too short, I choose to focus on the positive and I let the negative thoughts drift away.

Good luck in your endeavor @2k1Toaster (y).

#100 Raytheeagle, Jul 21, 2017
    Fred_H, milkman44, m.wynn and 3 others like this.