1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Battery Replacement Kit (GenII/GenIII) with NEW custom cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 2k1Toaster, Oct 13, 2017.

1. YAWP

YAWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have upgraded to a Tesla Model 3 and passed on the Prius to my girlfriend. The Prius HV battery I installed and posted about earlier in this thread is still going strong at 13 months and 6500 miles later. Unfortunately, the 12V battery has been drained by my gf liking to leave the dome light and the headlights on all the time, so we may have to replace that now.

Still very glad I installed the toaster kit, and it's going strong!

m.wynn, donbright, George W and 3 others like this.
  2. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    GREAT.....!

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have roughly 7,000 miles and one year on my NPB battery in my 2007 Prius, with no apparent problems and several 200 mile road trips as well as a bunch of 5 mile commutes. I have been recording data from my BAFX OBDII dongle and the Torque app, and making some graphs. I am not an expert but it does seem to me like the data is basically unchanged from last year.
    For example here is the Internal Resistance as well as Voltage of each of the 14 readings you can get from the Prius. The first graph is from August 2019, the second is from July 2020. (the older data is from a run of about 2000 seconds, the newer one is from a run of about 4900 seconds)

Anyways I would like to say a big thank you to New Prius Batteries for all they have done for old Prius owners. In my personal experience there have been no problems so far.

more data is at https://treecricket.com/vehiviz

#804 donbright, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    offib, m.wynn, spindiceate and 6 others like this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love data.

Thanks for sharing some results! This is what we work hard for.

6. kicker22004

kicker22004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi @2k1Toaster, I currently have a post going asking for suggestions on my wife's 07 gen 2. My question for you is from your experience should I buy your pack once they are available again?. I fully understand that it's a DIY project and the car could crap out in other areas but could it make this car last (battery wise) for another year or two? She only puts about 5k on a year at most. Also does your pack cause engine codes as I live in California and smog is a nightmare when engine codes are involved. My other post has some torque screenshots for help. Thank you for your time

#806 kicker22004, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Once replaced the pack will function just like an original pack. There won't be any error codes, visible or logged, once installed and cleared.

If you are only concerned with getting 1 year or maybe 2 years out of the battery, I don't think you need a brand new battery. A used refurbished battery has a warranty that is usually that long (and you'll need it with all that sitting the Prius does). If you're hoping for at least 1 to 2 years, and maybe you'll keep it another decade, then a new battery is the way to go.

Fred_H, Prodigyplace and Tim Jones like this.
  8. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Order placed, can anyone upload the install instructions somewhere so that I can review them along with YouTube while I wait?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure @2k1Toaster can provide them.

How long is the wait now? I heard they were back logged about 5 months a while ago.

10. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No idea but let's hope not that long. As the car probably won't make it.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Nilson

Nilson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just ordered mine on Sunday evening (08/02) and got a shipping tracking number on Tuesday morning (08/04) with delivery slated for Monday (08/10). Can't say future orders will be that quick, but very fast turn around for me. Price was $1600, no tax in CA and free shipping. Very excited to give this a try!

12. Nilson

Nilson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have had my NewPriusBattery (Gen 3) for about a month now, put nearly 1000 miles on it and so far so good!

Did not want to take up too much space here, so I posted a new thread in the GEN3 forums about my experience. Feel free to take a look and happy to answer any questions.

13. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Way to go........

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe the newpriusbatteries kits are now backordered. @2k1Toaster mentioned it in a different thread.

15. Electricae

Electricae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is my update after two years with one of 2k1Toaster's battery packs, but first original post,

Hi all, wanted to throw out a quick run-down of my experience with 2k1Toaster's Gen II kit I bought.

Shipping was speedy and batteries were well protected - no dents, or scoffs, etc. Install was very straight forward with the manual provided. The one thing I recommend getting is a impact driver or drill with a socket adapter to unscrew and re-screw the numerous little bolts on the bottom of the pack (the ones that hold in each battery cell). I would also invest in some 1000v electrician's gloves to be on the safe side - depending on your understanding of electricity. Final comment on technical, install details: there's a flimsy piece of metal that you'll encounter around where the high-voltage lines (coming from the engine compartment on the driver side) make first contact with the battery pack contacts; take note of how this was installed and be gently with it. I didn't think much of it and did not treat mine gently, which then required me to do another disassemble to bend that thing back to shape so that it would ground properly (props to 2k1Toaster for troubleshooting with me via email).

So how are they working out? I wanted to wait a few months until I got some good mileage on them before I said anything. Gen II Prius with 237k is getting 48MPG on a commute that requires me to climb a steep 2,000 feet there and back. So stoked to have this thing running again, and so well at that. I don't know 2k1Toaster in person, but based on my experience with these batteries, the help he provided over email and the quality of all the parts included, I recommend anyone interested to go for it!

#448 Electricae, Jun 15, 2018

That original battery pack is going strong. I swapped it into a different (2006) Prius and I've put over 40,000 miles on that car, commuting. My commute puts a lot of strain on the car, as I climb and descend a ton of vertical feet four days a week.

I was happy enough with the results and the ease of install that I ended up resurrecting a dead Prius to give to a family member. Second battery pack has been going for over a year and it too works swimmingly.

I really don't know what else to say. Thank the mighty Prius in the sky for skilled engineers and talented hobbyists?

Cheers,

Electricae

m.wynn, R-P, WHCSC and 4 others like this.
  16. Bill Fry

Bill Fry New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really wanted to order one, but I can't wait until mid-November for replacement battery... I've cleared the P0A80 (I think that's the one) code a few times already, trying to get a replacement. The reviews have been good, and I appreciate and support the work @2k1Toaster is doing.

Prayers for continued success.

17. 8AAGen2

8AAGen2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I ordered mine on 9/27 and received it this morning (10/15). Wish me luck with this weekend's project.

donbright, Prodigyplace, R-P and 2 others like this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck. They are back in stock. Apparently two shipments cleared customs at the same time.

19. Woka

Woka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm excited to bring my Prius back to full life and have recently placed an order. I hope I made it in time for some of this stock!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. Woka

Woka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm happy to report that I indeed made it in time! It was in my hands by the evening of the 28th.

The outer packaging had a tear down one corner that certainly allowed the manual to escape somewhere between CO and GA. The inner packaging was very sturdy and the hardware was quite safe. One email later I received a prompt, helpful, and detailed reply full of tips and a digital manual.

I took my time making sure to enjoy the process including double checks. One additional email clarifying that I had the correct wiring harness was quickly answered.

My Prius is ALIVE and I am a happy customer.

donbright, WHCSC and Tim Jones like this.