1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c Maintenance Schedule

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 6, 2012.

1. bdub

bdub New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  2. wongnog

wongnog Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Technology
    My dealer claims that while the oil may last 12 months, the filter isn't designed to. Thoughts?

3. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yes.. the filter doesn't last as long.

4. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    why is that? I would think a filter should have no problem lasting a year.

5. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    For the filter I was going to run the M1/K&N which is the same synthetic media that should last no problem to 10k.

6. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Are there normal dipsticks on the Prius C (traditional dipsticks so you can check oil and trans fluid yourself)? Dipsticks such as Oil, Trans, and etc?

I've presently got an Olds Eighty Eight and I never take it to the dealer since I can do all the work myself (or I know someone). So when it comes to maintaining fluid levels, its vital. My Olds is a 1995, it runs beautifully, has minimal issues, glides over the road, but it does burn a little oil so I've got to keep on that. Other than that my Olds Eighty Eight has been maintained diligently, when something needs done its addressed (137,000 Miles). I just top off the oil as needed.

I plan on getting a Prius C in the future and I don't want to be sandbagged after I buy one and find out I've got to rely on the dealer after it passes its 10-15 years of life (for fluids nonetheless). I plan to buy a Prius C for ultimate longevity, just like my Olds Eighty Eight.

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  7. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    that's great, who writes comedy like this ? keep in mind a filter is more efficient the older it gets, right up until the point when it is blocked, at which point a bypass valve will open and still allow oil through so your engine dos not sieze, yes it is unfiltered oil but it is better than no oil,
    and just another point In Australia service intervals are 10,000klm or 6 months whichever occurs first

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can do both the oil and tranny (not sure about dipstick on the tranny). Both have drain plugs and you will have to use a filler pump to get the fluid into the tranny. But if you do your own work, you probably have one.

9. Ubu the Tech Guru

Ubu the Tech Guru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    WOW, this is awesome! Fewer maintenance dollars to spend as well as all the gas money savings. I am loving my purchase more and more every day.

So 0W-20? I am coming up on my first 1,000 miles and wanted to do an oil change to remove any break-in metal shavings and obviously want to replace it with the most recommended oil. It's a leased car, does that matter? Will they find out I did my own oil change and void warrenty? My dad leased his as well and said he lets the dealership handle the oil changes BUT i've been reading a few recommendations and 1 was to change oil out at 1,000

10. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, it's 0W-20 (synthetic oil). The normal service interval is 5K miles, but they don't change the oil until the 10K interval. The changes are listed in the service manual doc that you came with all the other documentation you received.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2 additional things I can think of:

1. Brake inspection interval.
    2. Transaxle fluid change. (likely Toyo saying "sealed", "lifetime", yada yada, but just saying...)

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That doesn't make sense... why would they say the interval is 10k if they wanted you to really do it every 5k?

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tire rotation is every 5k. Silly.

ztanos likes this.
  14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Ah yes... I got confused when he mentioned oil first. :D

15. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just changed my cvt fluid at 100k. It was dirty. Don't believe that lifetime stuff. The stuff I have been reading on prius's that are going strong into 300k + miles are people who change fluids before the recommended intervals. It makes sense. I also have been using the larger YZZF1 oil filter on my C-Two instead of the recommended YZZF2. The former does seem to keep the oil a little cleaner at 10k interval than the YZZF2 likely due to additional media surface area? Others have likely done this too I assume: prius-filters1.jpg

VLAM87 likes this.
  16. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I change my HSD oil every 30 K. Those toyota filters are made in Thailand and are not a very good quality under testing. I recently went to royal purple. I yous to use Mobile One which is also good just but they use a lesser quality media. Both filters are made by champion labs but the media in royal purple is of a higher quality. I also run the larger capacity like you.

#36 priusCpilot, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    cant say I agree with using the larger oil filter, because of :-
    1, what pressure does the bypass valve open ? the same as the recommended filter ? higher, lower etc
    2, by using a filter which is not recommended for your vehicle you are voiding the warranty
    3, larger filter - more oil capacity, the dipstick is calibrated for use with a the correct filter (yes I know the difference is negligible)
    4, more oil capacity, the engine will run cooler, take longer to warm up therefore less efficiency (+ extra cost of more oil)

not meaning to offend just my thoughts

18. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the oil change interval: Is it not 5K miles (8,000 km) for driving in harsh conditions and 10K miles otherwise?

19. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Disappointed you, of all people, would agree with the factory (MINIMUM) maintenance schedule. Fan of the mods you did to your old Gen2, BTW.

Toyota says its ATF-WS is a "lifetime fluid." No lubricant lasts forever; nothing that gets used lasts forever. As someone stated it best: Toyota's idea of lifetime (say 150,000 miles) is very different than a consumer's idea of lifetime. Toyota needs to sell cars (those cars/parts need to die). Average consumer wants to hang onto their money (by making stuff last as long as possible).

My Gen2 transaxle started to die at 99,100miles; ATF-WS fluid had never been changed. "Lifetime fluid," just top off as needed, right? I got lucky and it was replaced under the emissions warranty, when transaxle is listed as 5year/60,000mile. After this experience, I learned this fluid needs to be changed!
    Read my post #473 (ATF fluid changes ARE Required. | Page 24 | PriusChat). All the proof is there as to why this fluid needs to be changed: pictures and study link to Bob Wilson and Profesor Eddenberg's used ATF-WS oil analysis. READ and become informed.

In addition to that, read Art's Automotive view on fluids (ATF-WS, SLLC, Dot 3), you might change your mind. http://artsautomotive.com/publications/7-hybrid/116-prius-30k-service/

Brake fluid absorbs moisture overtime. Yes, the Prius is easy on the brakes b/c Regen braking does the bulk of the work.

Brakes will last a very LONG time, with occasional maintenance: clean braking surface, scuff the rotors and pads w/ sand paper to get rid of any glazing. RELUBE the caliper pins! People who don't relube, find themselves changing pads prematurely.

Engine Air Filter
    Replace as needed: "Remove the filter and hold it up to a bright light (not direct sunlight, but indirect sunlight; look away from the sun with the air filter). If the filter is very dark and transmits little light, it is dirty and needs to be replaced." (Source Link) You can always change it more frequently if wanted.

CHECK Oil Level regularly
    This should probably be #1 maintenance item, as many people don't do it. Funny how come to PC, panicking b/c they saw the "low oil" light, which is actually a low/no oil pressure light. Essentially what happened is the oil level was low to begin with. Braking hard or taking a turn hard made the oil shift in the oil pan, causing the level to drop below the pick-up tube, to where no oil was being delivered to the engine. If you check it regularly (weekly/monthly), you notice when your car beings to burn oil and how much; the more frequently you check, the better. And check the oil on a flat level surface with the engine having been off, for hours (ideally before you drive it off in the morning). You'll get a more accurate reading.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Dimitrij

Dimitrij Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think "lifetime warranty" means that the item is guaranteed to last for longer than it usually takes the owner to throw out or misplace the warranty paperwork.(y) Besides, lifetime warranties usually come with a half-page list of disclaimers and T's and C's in fine print, which makes them unpractical to enforce.

Now, regarding the oil level .. you recommend to check it "before driving off" rather than on a warm engine .. what's the science behind it?