1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Traction Battery please help i am out of ideas

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Javierz0509, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Apologies for being the class clown here, appreciate @Javierz0509 has a serious issue.

2. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I am getting the P0A80, Toyota want $3516 out the door.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are DIY, check if @2k1Toaster has a kit of new cells. I know he does Gen 2 & 3.Several people here, including hybrid experts, have put thousands of miles on his cells with no issues.
    If you are ever near Tampa, Todd at Tampa Hybrids (@TampaPrius.com ) sometines has good used packs.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For sure it's out of warranty? You're dealing with dealership, not direct to Toyota I assume? If so, and you're just a bit out of warranty, talk to Toyota, see what they can do, say split the bill or similar.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Soooooo, looking back through this thread, I'm reminded of the thread started by forum member fermuscolo with a 2012(?) Prius C. He had a similar issue with his battery. It ended up being foreign material (ah-hem.....cockroach & eggs) in the HV battery electronics module that was causing the P0A80 code. Considering all your module voltages were identical at 7.6, and you see nothing else obviously wrong, why not check that also? It may seem like a crazy thing, but you just never know. Read the thread at this link.

Hybrid system failure | PriusChat

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We also have many stories here of their batteries, rebuilt with used modules, failing. Sure, they may replace the battery under warranty, but your car is down again and you may need to pay for installation again,

I am sure @TMR-JWAP or @ericbecky or @2k1Toaster have the equipment to check the voltage drop for a good battery.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Here is the thing I have checked all modules in the battery and all 20 read 8.1 voltage with no load, I don't have a way to check in with load but from the AutoZone check it reads the code with higher voltage than normal in one or two trips.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the thing for me:

Given the above information, I think it is HIGHLY unlikely that your battery has failed due to bad cells........and continuing to pursue a "fix" that includes replacing cells would be a BIG MISTAKE.

Is there not an independent hybrid shop in the greater Miami area that has a good reputation ???

It sounds to me like you need some help and I think it is unlikely that you will get it here......unless it might be a referral to a good shop.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In addition, you seem to be ignoring the posts I made about being SURE that you don't still have a 12 V problem before you sink a lot of time and money into what may NOT be a problem with the HV battery at all:

In addition, a few other folks have suggested along the way that things other than bad cells can cause the HV system to report that it is in trouble, including bad connections, controller failures and........12 V problems.

11. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey guys if I get another battery from a donor prius c is there anything I have to look for? Any vin matching ? The other battery is from a 2014 with 29k miles.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That number 29k sounds ominously familiar? Maybe someone with a better memory will weigh in, but I'm pretty sure there was one scammer selling dreck batteries, always advertised as being pulled from a wreck with 29k miles?

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

See post number 24...

14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The HV battery should be a direct swap.

15. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

i am going tomorrow to check it out and might get it :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    P0a80 sets when the voltage between all blocks varies by more than 1.2V. This happens when the resistance in the blocks is different, and manifests during charging and discharging. When it's just sitting, the blocks balance, and show the same voltage. When they charge/discharge, a difference in resistance will show a different voltage. Of course, dirty connections will cause resistance, but if you've cleaned or replaced them, and it still sets, one or more cells in the battery are going south.

Test: With scan tool, graph "Battery Block Min Voltage" and "Battery Block Max Voltage" PID's. With a fully warmed engine, and no codes (erased), and the ICE stopped, put the car in reverse, and step on the brake and accelerator at the same time. This will discharge the battery without starting the engine. When the battery gets low, the engine will start; release the accelerator. When it stops, push the accelerator again.

This charge/discharge action will set the code if the block to block variation is more than 1.2 volts, and you'll see it on the scan tool. It also tells you which block was highest and lowest. Also look at block resistance PID's.

17. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Why did my battery fail at such a short time?

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see you are in Miami. Heat is a real enemy of these batteries. Have you regularly checked & cleaned the HV battery fan?
    Is the car kept outside or in an air-conditioned garage?
    Remember the Prius c ("city") is designed primarily for city driving, not freeway. If there was a lot of highway driving that could stress the systems more too.

19. Javierz0509

Javierz0509 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I see, makes sense.

20. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Actually highway driving is considered easy on the EV side of the hybrid drivetrain. Hills, climate (heat), low-use and, ultimately, age are considered the major factors in battery degradation.

In the OP's case, I'd say it's mainly heat and a bad roll of the dice.