1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Exhaust Mods?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 240sxer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I wonder what it would sound like if you just cut the exhaust pipe off 2 feet just after the bend and then welded on a stinger pipe like the old VW BAJA Bugs? That would wake you up when the engine kicks on.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One of us does NOT understand the difference between an Otto cycle engine (exhaust is still expanding past the cylinder) and the Atkinson cycle engine (expansion stroke is 30 larger than compression stoke, so exhaust is close to atmospheric pressure) used in the Prius. You are not going to find 10 HP, perhaps 1 HP, but mostly just nasty 4 cylinder noise to annoy everyone else with. If you want HP, turbo/superchargers will have some effect, but not the effect you expect, I bet. (the batteries remain charged longer)

Browser Warning
    Browser Warning

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One

I hate it when people say this. The truth is auto manufactures do not always do things in the best interest of the customer. They do what's cheapest, that meets the basic needs and minimal wants of the customer in order to maximize profit. If this argument were true, then all Ford Mustangs which should be designed for speed and power would come stock with Eibach suspension, K&N Cold-Air Intakes, high-performance headers with an x-pipe, and FlowMaster exhaust systems.

Why do people have to criticize others for wanting to modify their Prius? This is the modification section of the web-forum! I'll mod mine, and you can keep yours stock and we'll both be happy!

But don’t put others down for trying something new, or wanting to be different.

Seal2, ZFL and KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy like this.
  4. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Instead they come with driveshafts that shatter: Watch what happens when a Ford Mustang driveshaft fails at 135 mph

Why do 2011 Ford Mustang driveshafts keep exploding?

ZFL and KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy like this.
  5. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm glad I've given up on any American made car. I can't believe Ford wouldn't design a better driveshaft, but then again if they fail at 120+ mph, in order to reach that speed the speed limiter has to be disabled, thus voiding the warranty, so Ford is no way responsible for building a flawed product... (aka a crap product) When I win the lottery and have the money to blow on a high-performance car, I'm getting a Porsche. American made car's suck!

But going back to my point, even Porsches have after market parts to boost performance. Why criticise others for wanting more power or control. Just because it's a Prius, doesn't mean it can't be improved or modified.

KLD_Prius_PI_Synergy likes this.
  6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just straight pipe it!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

DBCassidy

7. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who says you can only choose one or the other? ;)

8. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like sayin Ford auto exc and engineers would have made stock shelby vehicles

9. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
  10. powerjo

powerjo Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did on my 2008, cut it off before the gas tank and removed the 2nd cat. All it had was upstream cat and resonator.

PC36100 ? 2

12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    did it give any more power or just get loud? any pix?

13. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That looks awesome! I wish the Prius came that way stock. where did you get the exhaust and what shop installed it?

14. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Pics and why you did it would be nice

iPad ? HD

15. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hate to revive, but didn't really want to start a new thread...

Why has no one just done a header install from the Yaris?

Yaris OEM header
    [​IMG]
    G2 Prius Header
    [​IMG]
    DC 4-1 long tube header for 1NZ-FE 1.5
    [​IMG]
    TRD Header for 1NZ-FE 1.5
    [​IMG]
    Megan Header for 1NZ-FE 1.5
    [​IMG]
    Also for the remainder of the Exhaust system:

Yaris MidPipe and Resonator: 17410-21541
    :
    [​IMG]
    G2 Prius MidPipe and Resonator: 17410-21500:

[​IMG]
    I would probably do a something similar to the Nitto Mid-pipe (No Cats):
    [​IMG]

or if I wanted to stay CA legal... Create something custom like this with Cats:
    [​IMG]

and a custom 2" cat back...with (2) Magnaflow mufflers (one to simulate the oem resonator)
    [​IMG]
    and tips kinda like below:
    [​IMG]
    Magnaflow #35168
    [​IMG]

$250 - DC 4-1 header
    ?? - Mid-pipe...
    $188 - Magnaflow #14714 (2@$94ea)
    $60 - Magnaflow #35168

$500 so far plus labor and material

16. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hah.. found a picture of the undercarriage of the Prius.. Gives me a better idea of the bends needed to complete this custom exhaust.

[​IMG]

17. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ok so those aftermarket headers are for the yaris? it looks like the yaris manifold and the prius manifold are almost the same; only in the pix one is upside down. i think the choke point isn't the manifold, as you see from that poor car some twit flipped into a ditch, the pipe after the 2nd cat is way too thin, and from there on back its just as thin. if someone was to make a pipe from the 2nd cat back, (it'd have to be welded on) that might free up a little power. its got to be making more back pressure than you'd ever want. i think toyota wanted the cars to be very quiet, and didn't expect prius owners to actually want to drive the car. what is that 3rd cat? is it just a resonator or is it actually part of the catalyst system?

18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here's a better comparison shot:
    1 is Yaris - 2 is G2 Prius both use the 1NZ 1.5, just one is the 1NZ-FE and the other 1NZ-FXE

The Picture angles aren't perfect...but from what I can tell - Everything including the bolts and o2 sensor bung are all in the same location.

Yaris: 17141-21130 .....................Prius: 17141-21120
    [​IMG]

But, why 2 cats, i have no idea. I thought maybe this was a CA car with the extra restrictions, but from what I can tell, all G2 Pri have 2 cats. I don't exactly know what the diff is between a Cali CAT midpipe and the other 49states. 'Cept a couple of nitwits.. I would guess resonator in the middle of the exhaust...just has one from what I can tell on other cars i have modded the exhaust on, usually you will find a resonator just about the middle of the car (just like the picture of the 'twit-flipped-prius" lol)..then more piping then muffler. Because the Magnaflow muffler is a straight thru design, I could use two of them. This would most likely keep the noise down, but it would be a lil louder than stock. I am def NOT a fan of the muffler resonating loudly as I drive down the freeway at highway speeds. My civic did that, but then I was a lot younger bk then and I had also removed the cats. Cars aren't smogged in KS.

I may just start with the header swap then just cut off from behind the 2nd cat and weld the Magnaflow #14714 muffler/resonator, some 2" mandrel bent SS piping, the 2nd #14714 running out to the #35168 Tips.

19. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No smog? Then don't p*ssy out. Skip the headers and muffler and put them pipes right through the hood!

[​IMG]

Daves09prius likes this.
  20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hah! "We're Not in KS anymore..Toto." The lil Prius would most likely lose 2 much back-pressure with straight pipes peeking out the hood and run like crud...Besides that def wouldn't pass smog here in California...beside being way too loud for daily driving.