1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Front and Rear suspension replacement clarification

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BeatleBob, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Patrick W., and others,
    I am going to replace suspension componentry on our 2004 Prius. The list that follows is a boil down from the information in this forum, particularly Patrick W's hints posts on front struts and rear shocks replacement. See links below. I shopped online on Auto Nation Toyota, and came up with the prices for the parts listed below. Questions: Would it be recommended I replace coil springs if the Prius has 153K miles and this is a first time replacement? Are there rear springs as well? Is the list correct, identifying all places where two units are needed, and where there is are right and left components to distinguish? I saw some posts about replacing corroded bolts -- are the bolts included in the parts listed here? What experience do people have going with non-OEM parts,e.g., Monroe, which would allow for some savings?
    Thanks very much, in advance.
    BeatleBob

Front Struts AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts
    48510-49495 Shock Absorber Assembly $101.23
    48520-49585 Shock Absorber Assembly $111.36
    48609-13010 Support Subassembly need qty. 2) $141.36 ($70.68 each of two strut mount)
    48158-47010 Front Coil Spring Insulator Lower (need qty. 2) $22.42 ($11.21 each)
    48157-02070 Front Coil Spring Insulator Upper (need qty. 2) $34.26 ($ 17.13 each note there is a left and a right component)
    481311N550 coil springs two -- if needed 90.68 (each $45.34 note there is a left and a right component)

Rear Shocks
    48530-49385, Absorber, (need qty. 2) $104.30 ($52.15 each)
    48257-02040, Insulator, MSRP $12.55, Net $9.54 (need qty. 2) 20.38 ($10.19 each note there is a left and a right component)
    Subtotal for All -- front and rear $625.99

References:
    Hints Regarding Replacement of 2G Front Struts | PriusChat
    Replaced Rear Shocks | PriusChat
    AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts
    DIYers download the necessary repair pages from techinfo.toyota.com to get the exploded parts diagram and instructions.

blaisep likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

Answers to your questions follow:
    Would it be recommended I replace coil springs if the Prius has 153K miles and this is a first time replacement? Only if you notice sag in the springs.
    Are there rear springs as well? Yes
    Is the list correct, identifying all places where two units are needed, and where there is are right and left components to distinguish? I will leave it to you to confirm the correctness of the list, that is part of the fun of DIY. My posts show the part numbers that I had successfully ordered and installed, but part numbers change over time.
    I saw some posts about replacing corroded bolts -- are the bolts included in the parts listed here? No

3. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Patrick. I appreciate your response. Are you of an opionion regarding non-OEM, e.g., Monroe parts?
    Bob

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    a lot of folks use kyb. they're about $65 a piece for the front. I put em on mine and they work good. I didn't replace the mounts, springs or insulators, just the front struts.

5. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going with KYB as well (and some chewing gum, and spit!) That should do the trick, don't you think? :)
    Thanks

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    only "with a little help from my friends". the kyb struts might be a little stiffer than the oem, but not so stiff it will give you that conestoga wagon ride quality.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

I don't know how good the Monroe parts are. The Toyota-branded parts are manufactured by KYB. So if you have a choice between KYB-branded aftermarket and the Toyota-branded parts made by KYB, I would go with whatever is less expensive.

8. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    KYB was stamped on the struts of my 2008 touring and 2007 base. I have liked mine and haven't had any issues.

9. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the Prius seems to ride okay, is a replacement of suspension parts, given 150K miles, justified? That is the essence of a question pending from my wife. It is her observation that there does not seem to be a big difference between how the new Prius rides versus our old Prius ride. This past weekend I drove the old Prius about 500 miles, from MD to NJ on I-95, and on some crappy side roads full of winter weather induced potholes. It seems to ride okay, I have to say. I have not driven the new Prius enough to really make a comparison. That said, I would think that apart from how the car feels while driving, the suspension at 150K has to be worn out and not a good situation for the chassis, etc. Wouldn't you agree? Is there a good source for a discussion of this I can show to the missus? Thanks.
    This is just another instance of "getting by with a little help from my [Priuschat] friends."

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if the ride doesn't bother you and the struts aren't actually leaking fluid, it wouldn't hurt to ignore them for now. put em at the bottom of your list.

11. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Based on feedback here, I'm planning on doing some smaller jobs, including PCV and air filters replacement, replace the serpentine belt, do the throttle clean out, and install an SL3 kit for Bluetooth audio behing the dashboard. While at it, my mechanic buddy and I will look at the suspension, shocks and struts condition and assess next steps and timing.
    Thanks,

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the main driver of that vehicle has no problem with the vehicle ride, then there is no pressing need for service.

A reasonable next step, however "looking" at the suspension is not a perfect way to inspect it. If you see substantial fluid leakage that is proof that the struts need to be replaced. However, absence of such leakage does not constitute proof that the struts are good.

13. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A different car buddy at work says the way to test struts is the thrust all my weight on the Prius' front corner and observe the reaction, e.g., watch for dipping and sagging. He says any type of up and down reaction means worn out struts. Also, try that on the new Prius and old Prius and compare responses. The test needs 200 lbs of pressure on the corner of the car. I only weigh 190. I wonder if (a) this is a viable test of any value in assessing struts' condition, and (b) if I weigh enough to do what he's asking. In driving last night, I took the Prius judiciously over some speed bumps and some rough road terrain, and again am noting that it handled things pretty well.
    This coming Friday, 3/20/15, we will be working ont the other stuff, and looking for leaks and assessing the suspension situation.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think the bounce test is effective on most modern vehicles. It was OK for use on large American sedans back in the 60's, but modern suspension systems typically require substantial effort to compress the springs.

If you don't have complaints about the car's ride in comparison with your new Prius, and you don't see any obvious visual clues then why worry.

15. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    190 lbs is plenty, but unlikely to show anything unless the struts are completely blown. and you might dent the fender if you're not careful. put it on the back burner.

16. BeatleBob

BeatleBob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah. No need to bend a Fender except if it has six strings and can rock and roll. It just blows me away that the suspension is decent with all the miles and the sh*tty pothole pocked roads around the DC area. I will suspend judgement I guess. Poor pun intended.
    Thanks

17. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I ran my '05 with oe front struts for 203k; I bet the folks I sold it to haven't changed them yet either. I'm more of a Gibson man, myself...

18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All strut manufactures stress 5 year/50,000 mile replacement interval to maintain OPTIMUM ride/handling quality. After swapping out my fronts and rears, I'm a believer in the strut manufactures claim. Before I had thought this was their attempt to get people to change the parts out unnecessarily and early; kinda like some shops still saying 3months/3,000 mile oil change intervals (absurd given vast improvement in oil quality and engines). To convince yourself:
    Read post #48 for fronts. Hints Regarding Replacement of 2G Front Struts | Page 3 | PriusChat
    Read post #3 for rears. Replaced Rear Shocks | PriusChat

Strut/shock deterioration is slow, and most won't be able to feel it, since it is gradual. If this vehicle is your daily drive, you would be hard pressed to know/feel any difference. If you had an identical car that was never used, you would have an excellent test vehicle for suspension comparison, and would most likely be able to feel the difference. I never saw any hopscotch marks on my tires, a tell-tale-sign of strut/shock failure. You have probably seen vehicles on the road where one wheel or both wheels on an axle are bouncing up and down superfast (pogoing), which would definitely produce hop scotch marks on the tires.

Remember, struts keep the tires on the road, which helps for traction, handling, and braking. The springs absorb most of the energy from an "impact." The struts smooth out the return keeping tire on the road, preventing the pogoing.

19. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    true but some folks don't really care about optimum. ultimately, a car is just a tool.

20. Old Still Running

Old Still Running New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2007 Prius Base model with 129k miles one it. It needs new tires and I am planning on replacing all 4 struts as well.

When driving around it sounds a little clunky, so I am thinking replacing the struts and sway bar links should solve the problem as well as getting new tires.

I have ordered the Monroe parts from amazon for half the price that American Tire was quoting me. They said they would allow me to bring in my own parts and just charge me labor. (Quoting total labor at $300 for all four struts) I also ordered the 4 mounts and the 2 sway bar links for the front from Amazon.

Do you all have any suggestions or comments that I need to consider?

Thanks for your help.