1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime first impressions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by t_newt, May 31, 2018.

1. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I recently went from a 1st Gen 2001 Prius to a 2017 Prius Prime. I still have the 2001 Prius. I got it from my parents, and am keeping it for my son to drive when he finally decides to get his driver's license (what is it with kids these days, putting off driving? As soon as we turned 15 1/2 we rushed down to get our learner's permit).

Some comments:
    A minor nit pick:
    Some reviewers have complained about the transmission control being confusing, but it is actually pretty simple. Yet I have one nit. Everyone who's ever used a joystick in a video game, or driven a tank (okay, I've never done that), knows that you push it forward (or up) to go forward, and pull it back to go backward. But Toyota did it exactly backwards! It makes me pause a second every time I put it into gear.

Looks:
    It is interesting that so many reviews of the Prime complain about its looks. When the 1st Gen Prius came out in the US it was universally panned for being excedingly strange and ugly. That turned out to be a good quality, though. Its unusually high mileage at a time when Hollywood stars wanted to show off their green credentials meant that they all wanted one, and its strange looks guarateed that it would be noticed. Ford actually came out with a hybrid at about the same time: the Escape. But it looked exactly like the regular Escape. It was not popular because why would you pay extra money for a car you couldn't show off?

Fashion is interesting. Now days the 1st gen Prius is considered very conventional.

I think the Prime looks great. I got the red because it was the only 2017 model they had, but it turns heads and gets comments from friends.

Plus Entertainment system:
    I bought the basic Plus because of expense. But it turns out I much prefer the smaller screen system. I like buttons, and the Plus system has big volume and tuning knobs, and several air conditioning buttons. The Advance Prius does not, but it does have a large, distracting 11" screen. I can control everything I need without taking my eyes off the rode.

The sound system is not supposed to be as good, but that is the advantage of moving from a 2001 car to a 2017 car. The sound system is immensely better than the older Prius, so it sounds absolutely wonderful.

View:
    The 1st generation Prius had a much better view out the back. Most newer cars have a restriced view because of improved aerodynamics. Fortunately there's a nice backup camera so it is not that big an issue when backing up.

Driving:
    My point of comparison is the older Prius, and it is, of course, much better than the 2001 car: faster and more controlled--just fun to drive.

Mileage:
    Interestingly, it has the second best electric mileage of any car sold in the US. Here's the federal top 10 electrics. The Prius prime has an MPGe of 133, which places at #2, better than Telsa or Leaf. Of course that is only for 28 miles. There's an advantage to only carrying the weight of a battery that meets your driving needs. Most of my driving is about 15 miles a day, so it is primarily electric. I've driven 190 miles now, and the tank is still full.

And of course the Prius can't be matched for mileage in hybrid mode.

Also, I have a thing about electric cars. I like to take long walks and bike rides around the neighborhood, and there's nothing worse than lots of smog producing cars driving by to ruin the experience. I've heard that in crowded rush-hour traffic in LA, there's so much carbon monoxide, it affects drivers' brains. Imagine if that were all..just..gone.

I used to love it in my 1st gen Prius when driving slow or being at a stoplight and having my engine just shut off. Now I can drive all over town without the engine running.

Overall I really love the Prius Prime.

2. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Appreciate the day-to-day driving feedback. This is on the short list for when we no longer need a Sienna for the kids. Wife's commute is 23 mi each way.

Maybe by then, the Prius, or whatever variant they have, will have even more range on EV.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome, and Congrats on your new purchase of the latest Prius. I couldn't agree more on every points you just made on Prime.

Joystick being backwards has been discussed here Back-up beeping | Page 2 | PriusChat. I guess, some old US regulation make it impossible to make the gear D-B-P-N-R. What did Gen1 shift knob look like?

I ended up buying Premium trim, because it was offered to me with lower price than Plus trim I originally wanted, but if I can trade it without paying anything, I would trade mine with Plus any time for exact reasons you stated. I also hate Softex Pleather! It's cold to touch in winter, and sticks like vinyl sheet on sweaty skin in summer. Only thing I want to keep is 3 door SKS.

#3 Salamander_King, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The shifter is in the PRND layout... except the shifter starts at N rather than at P.

It had a "gun-grip" column shifter in PRNDB layout

2002-toyota-prius.jpg

t_newt and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, is that mean when car is Parked and shut down, will it go back to N or stay at P?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P since we have an electronic shifter. With the Gen 1, you have to shift into Park like any other regular automatic transmission. With Gen 2 onwards, you could skip that and just press POWER to shut down the car and the car will automatically select Park. (Does not apply to Gen 1 Prius c)

I was thinking of the physical location of the shifter (rather than the actual selected position) when I was talking about N vs. P in my previous post.

Salamander_King likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on which car with an automatic transmission and standard shifter on the console, do you move the shifter forward to go forward?(n)

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on my Google search, none in the US automatic transmission as per US Department of Transportation Standard No. 102. "P-R-N-D is a US government standard, specifically US Department of Transportation Standard No. 102. (It also mandates starter interlock, direction of shift pattern on column mounted selectors, etc). Prior to this the gear pattern P-N-D-L-R was quite common. Such a pattern led to a number of deaths and injuries owing to driver error causing unintentional gear selection, as well as the danger of having a worn selector jump into reverse from low gear during engine braking maneuvers. The P-R-N-D selector pattern introduces a safe zone between the drive positions and reverse positions, making unintentional gear selection less likely."

I've never seen P-N-D-L-R shifter myself. I don't have a problem with most other automatic shifters with P-R-N-D. P is above R and D. From park when car is stopped, you have no other choice but to go down. With Prius joystick, it automatically position it back to center, just like game joystick, so you actually go UP to Reverse, and Down to Drive. That's where my confusion comes from. That said, I think this standard sifter configuration the most intuitive.
    main-qimg-cccbe8890cbc756d8d6bcfae79a8d903-c.jpg

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Until you get into a 190E 2.5 Evolution with a dog-legged shifter :LOL: