1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prime running while off?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PrimeTime11, Mar 13, 2019.

1. PrimeTime11

PrimeTime11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drove my car to my place at lunch(like a 15min drive nothing intense and the weather is about 65ish) I went inside to grab my dog to take him for a walk. I started walking towards my car and I heard a car running(I live in an apartment complex so there is a few parked cars). It sounds fairly loud, almost exactly like an idling engine and I pinpoint the noise to my car. Confused, I checked to see if I forgot to power my car down. Nope, it was definitely turned off. Weird, owning this car for almost 2 years I have never heard it running while off. I went back inside and 10 min later came back out to walk my other dog. My car is still running! I went back to my apartment to put my dog up but by the time I came back out it finally turned off. The noise was definitely coming from under the hood more to the passenger half. Has anyone experienced this? Or know what steps I should take? Or is it nothing to worry about?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius makes many random noises after it has been turned off, for up to four hours at least.

If it was truly off, it likely wasn’t the engine.
    If it happens again, i would suggest getting in and trying to drive, or pop the hood to confirm.

3. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i never thought of it before , but with the prime and the fully electric HVAC system, it could be possible it was running just the heat pump to cool the battery? it can be noisy enough... and doesnt necessarily need to run the actual ICE, if the battery is pretty full. i havent heard of this before, but not out of the realm of possibility. i would have jumped in my car and cycled the start stop button to shut it off, see what was going on.only time i did hear of this was back on the gen II the main display would go bad (it also controlled the start stop button) and you could not properly start/stop the prius, and the display was blank so you never know if it was on or off. but you did hear it running all night long in your garage;) no matter how many times you tried to stop it.

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you accidentally hold down the key fob button to turn on the climate preconditioning? It sounds exactly like that and shuts off as soon as you open the door or reaches the preset inside temp that you had it set as last.

kevin.c likes this.