1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Prius Prime 2019 heat problem

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by syldeninf, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well said!

"If they design something that is totally idiot-proof, someone will design a better idiot."

srivenkat and jerrymildred like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope the o/p didn't turn into a popsicle

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have some extensive experience with vehicles that have inadequate or no heat......old Volkswagen's.

Trying to drive while shivering and scraping the frost off the INSIDE of the windshield is no fun.
    I can not see a BETTER use for a few ounces of fuel than to be able to drive while warm and safe.

4. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It was snowing today on my way home from work, so I had the heat blasting the whole way. I stopped for an errand about 25 minutes from work and was inside for about 30 minutes. After I was done, it was above freezing in the car and 34 degrees F outside. The windshield fogged up, so I set the heat to defogger and feet (EV mode), high temp, and Max fan, AC off, fresh air. After about 5 minutes the windshield was mostly clear of fog since it warmed up enough. I turned the fan down to 3/4, and left it like that the whole way home. It got quite warm,and when I got home hybrid assistant said it was 77 degrees inside the car. When I parked in my driveway I didn't observe any difference with the AC on or off, but the windshield was already warm and dry on the inside at that point. There was no sound of the a blend door moving, fan speed or compressor speed changing, nor any change in power shown on hybrid assistant (it was around 2.2kw the whole time). I'm not saying the AC light never does anything, but in this case it didn't seem to have an effect. It would have been interesting to try it when the windshield was foggy, but I didn't think of it and since it was snowing heavily I needed as much heat as possible to keep snow from building up on the glass.