1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius shutdown, won't power on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by miscrms, Oct 16, 2012.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any thoughts appreciated. Wife was driving 2008 w/70k miles, powered off completely in middle of street, coasted into parking lot. No warnings or lights on dash. Unable to shift to park. Won't power on to acc mode even. Interior lights etc work fine. Battery measures 13.6, 14.2 at front terminals? Slight burning smell from engine compartment possibly right side. Disconnected battery for hard reboot, no change. Unable to read codes as won't power on.

Waiting for tow truck, Amy thoughts appreciated.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow Rob, Sorry to hear that. I have never heard of that happening but, I know you have as much knowledge as any of us here. That is the craziest thing. The only thing I can even think of is a blown fuse (probably the one for the dome light (which also powers one of the ECU's)).

Edit: I just saw where you said interior lights work fine. I would still suspect a fuse.

3. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have exterior lights? horn? brake lights? door locks?

sounds like anything powered when the car is off, and powered by the 12v battery, works.
    i would say it's not the traction battery fuse. but there should be several large fuses underhood in the box. you should check them all, but without a test light, just look at the big ones for now

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess: a failed inverter coolant pump which has shorted out, causing the burning smell and blowing a fuse.

[email protected] likes this.
  5. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks all. Riding' on the flatbed to the dealer, will let you know what they find. Checked the fusible links up front, all ok. Didn't get to check other fuses, but dome light was on.

6. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Could be, but wouldn't cause the ignition to completely die and not power on even in accessory mode

7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, the inverter pump wouldn't cause that but, the blown fuse might. I just don't have the schematics w/ me right now to verify what else is on that circuit.

8. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, that's the weirdest part. Have 12v power, but can't even get to acc mode.

9. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also interesting to note that it did apparently go into park somehow, and that headlights will turn on.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IF the inverter coolant pump motor failed as a short, that would blow the 15A AM2 fuse. If that fuse is open, then no power will reach the engine fuel injectors, the combination meter, the transmission control ECU, etc.

12. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Patrick and all, sounds like a pretty good candidate. I think the pump in our 2005 was replaced as part of the recall, but pretty sure the one on the '08 is original.

13. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Inverter coolant pump FTW!

14. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You were pretty much right on (as usual) Patrick! Inverter coolant pump failed with a short! Bought the '08 as a certified pre-owned with about 10k miles, so extra CPO warranty is covering repair and rental with $50 co-pay. Will post whatever details I can get when I pick it up tomorrow.

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good call Patrick.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if preventative pump replacement on my daughters 08 with 50,000 miles would be a good idea?

17. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Didn't end up with any more details, picked up the car after the service dept was closed. All seems well, averaged 60.2 mpg for the drive home. Tomorrow my wife will be driving again and it will fall back to 45 mpg ;)

Thanks everyone for jumping in and helping out!

Rob

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the past I would have said yes, as I was the first advocate of that action several years ago prior to the LSC being implemented.

Now, it is unclear that a new inverter coolant pump is actually more reliable than what was originally installed. It may not make sense to do a preventive replacement especially if you have to pay Toyota dealer service dept prices.

I would suggest that you explain to your daughter the following:

1) what are the symptoms associated with a failed inverter coolant pump
    2) how to inspect inverter coolant flow by looking at the coolant reservoir when the Prius is READY
    3) what action to take if the pump on her car fails
    Glad to hear your drama ended well.

19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, that's great news Rob. This is the first time I've heard these particular symptoms associated with an inverter coolant pump. I would like to summarize what you saw for myself and others in the future. Please correct anything that isn't right.

Symptoms:
    1) powered off completely in middle of street (car seemed to remain in D or N???)
    2) No warnings or lights on dash
    3) Unable to shift to park
    4) Won't power on to acc mode even
    5) Interior lights work fine
    6) Slight burning smell in right side of engine compartment

Does that about sum it up?

In the past I've heard people say they can pull over for about 20-30 min and the car will start up again and appear normal until the inverter overheats again (not something you want to do).

[email protected] and 2006_HK like this.
  20. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that's about right, except maybe #3. Wife stated she was unable to put in park, and had to use parking brake to keep car from rolling back in parking spot. However, when we tried to load it on the flatbed we found that the car was in park somehow, with no way to shift it out. Driver did a pretty impressive job of loading rear end first using skids under the front wheels. On #6 I think burning smell was significant even without hood open right after it first happened. It was slight and traceable to right side of engine compartment by the time I arrived. My guess is the inverter never overheated triggering normal shutdown as she never saw any warning lights. It sounds like the pump failure/short was catastrophic and took out the electrics. When that occurred the dash went completely blank, so couldn't tell if it was in D/N/P. Never saw any activity on it after that except the smart key light when out of car, and door light when open. Dealer didn't say anything about replacing a fuse, but details on the write up were sparse.

usnavystgc likes this.