1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V 2017 Squeal

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by klaats, May 17, 2018.

1. klaats

klaats Junior Member

New 2017 V purchased 12/28/17. 9000 miles but this has happened from beginning. Squealing noise of undetermined origin. Happens very sporadically from cold start for only 15 seconds or so. Car moving, foot off brake, not turning steering wheel. Have to dealer 2nd time and still no luck duplicating. Have 3 videos of instances. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Logged with dealership and Toyota corporate.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First 15 seconds of movement only? Seems to eliminate most engine components. I would focus on the brakes perhaps. Do you engage the parking brakes? I would try to have someone outside the car when you first drive it to try to pin point the location. And also have the dealer lube all the brake system touch points.

3. klaats

klaats Junior Member

Not touching brakes when this happens and the dealer has checked all brake components. As soon as I post a few more times the forum should allow me to post Google video links.

4. klaats

klaats Junior Member

Thanks

5. klaats

klaats Junior Member

6. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I would leave it at the dealer overnight so they can run it from a cold start and see if they will provide you a loaner. if you already tried that. Record the sound on video and the location its loudest, that might help dealer pin point problem area.

7. klaats

klaats Junior Member

Yes it's there at dealer now for second time. They have not been able to duplicate yet. I've logged the incidents with Toyota Corporate also and have sent links to 5 video instances when this has happened since purchase. I know you are just a customer, but thanks for your help. Were you able to view the video?

Google Photos

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You don't have to touch the brakes for the brakes to make noise, especially at startup. Have someone stand by it in the morning. Your video sounds like the back brakes to me....

9. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That does sound like friction brakes. There isnt really much moving parts esp at a full stop.

10. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    If it is a brake squeal......

Sometimes when vehicles are driven and braked at low speed a glaze on the rotors and pads occurs and can cause a squeal.

FWIW you could try accelerating to 70 mph and braking very hard (even engaging ABS) to 40 mph.
    Drive two miles to cool the brakes and repeat 3 or 4 times.

Might work...might not, yet this will remove a slight glaze.

There are further options to remove glaze that will require wheel removal.

Hopefully the dealer will resolve for you.

Let us know the results.

Good luck.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like the same problem I had once upon a time. Turns out, there was a problem with a lug nut. They replaced the stud, then carefully retorqued the wheel into place. That did the trick.

12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Fyi... a video showing typical rear disk brakes with drum parking brakes. Not a Prius but you will get the idea from a fairly entertaining guy. Note how he adjusts the parking brakes to reduce drag and noise. He also puts lube on sliding surfaces, again to reduce noise.

13. Gfacer

Gfacer New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Did you find a solution to this? We have a 2018 Prius V and it sounds a lot like Prius v brake noise problem fix | Page 3 | PriusChat .

So far the dealer has had it twice. They heard it the first time, said it was glaze, and resurfaced the rotor's but that only fixed it for a few weeks (or days - it came back gradually).

Its not back to its peak yet but sounds like a scaled down version of the 2012 issue that led to the TSB. I notice there are no TSB's for 2017 or 2018 which seems unlikely. The key point is that it does not happen when the brakes are applied, only immediately after you start motion and are in motion. By the time you get up to speed, its gone.

So it seems to be either off tolerance rotors that are rusting fast and or pads that are absorbing moisture (swelling?) or a combination. Either way its one of those major minor issues for us. At its peak it was clearly audible outside the car. Regardless, it should not be happening. Its not a normal thing to happen on a new car.