1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v 4 Backup beep

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by joeruo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. joeruo

joeruo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm planning on getting one of those Scan Gauges and first up i want to remove that backup beep.. Not being very teck savey, could someone in the know, e mail me ([email protected]) detailed step by step instructions on how to remove the beep after i attach the gauge. Thanks in advance to who if any can help me out.
    Joe

2. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That would be a great post for us all that have considered the scan gauge. Most comments regarding it seem pretty techno trying to determine what codes to translate to get to desired results. I would sure be more comfortable knowing what to expect for my $.

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From page 2 here in this thread in Gen III 2010+ Prius Technical Discussion; ScanGaugeII work on 2010? | Page 2 | PriusChat

More detailed instructions from page 9 of the thread;
    Here is the spreadsheet with all codes first referenced on page 5 of the thread;
    Welcome to Google Docs
    I have used most of the codes for ScanGaugeII firmware 3.15 (I have early version) and they work great on my Prius v (wagon) w/ Adv. Tech. Pkg.

And finally on page 27 of the thread, I found this;
    My admiration and thanks goes out to all who contributed to this informative and useful thread.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  4. LeeH

LeeH New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    While the manual says you can modify it to beep only once, my Toy tech was unable to do so.

5. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not that this helps Joe, but I just had the dealer do it for free. LeeH is correct that you can only go down to on beep- still much less annoying than the constant beeps. On a side note, thanks Chazz8, I just purchased a Scangauge ii, and have been looking around the forums to see if the codes for the gen iii will work with the v and from your post it seems it will.

6. asudan

asudan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer wants a $75 diagnostic fee to change the backup beep and he said that it will change from multiple beeps to one long beeeeeeeeeep. Is that true?

7. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Find another dealer in your area if you can, or wait until your 5000 mile checkup, I've read here that some people were able to get it done free during that checkup.

The beep is just a single short beep not a long beep.

eroxie likes this.
  8. asudan

asudan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Jim. You would think after buying two cars from them they wouldn't try and nickel and dime me.

9. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've taken my prus-v for service (in Canada) and I was told that reverse beep can not be disable (reset to one beep) on Canadian models as we have a different software.

Is this correct or my dealer is incompetent?

10. grayvee

grayvee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about competency, but I do have a Canadian Prius-V and had the reverse beep reset to one beep during my first service. I would certainly check out another Toyota dealer that has techs that know how to read their documentation.

11. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The backup beep is listed as a dealer configurable option in the Prius V owner's manual (at least in the US manual). You'll find this documentation in section 6-2, page 528. What you see in the table there is that Toyota built this feature to be customizable to beep repeatedly or beep once, but unfortunately only a dealer has the official keys to change this (unless you buy tools like the scangauge to modify this yourself).

I used this documentation with my dealer to prove this wouldn't "void the warranty" or "get them in trouble with Toyota". That was the initial response I got from my salesperson who I think didn't really know the right answer. The service manager was much more accommodating and this is on the list of maintenance to perform at my 5K service.

Whether the dealer tries to charge for this or not is another story. I'll see how far I get with the argument that it's a quick customization and Toyota didn't give me any option but to burden the dealer with making the fix.

12. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    With a $20 bluetooth adapter, and an android phone, anyone can change the beeps with the correct app. In 2017 I found an app that was free, and I was given the Options:
    - Continuous beeping (factory default)
    - One Beep
    - No sound at all!

Dr. Prius can change the beeping, but only supports continuous or a single beep, and it costs $9 in the play store. I used it a few weeks ago on my 2017.