1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Prius Prius c Prius PIH Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) Impressions & Opinions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by catgic, Mar 22, 2012.

1. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Prius v Prius Prius c Prius PIH Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) Impressions & Opini

The sound is kind of weird but the sound level is so low that most people would have difficulty hearing it. And the video doesn't show it but the frequency goes up with speed so when you are slowing down, it does sort of resemble some scifi view of shuttle landing craft.

Personally, it doesn't really matter. Tires on gravel make more noise.

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Re: Prius v Prius Prius c Prius PIH Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) Impressions & Opini

Which is fine... Except most US roads down south of you don't have that convenient gravel to make noise for others. :p

3. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Yeah, even on our paved roads and parking lots there is tons of gravel! (Which is a good thing this time of year) :thumb:

Actually, I was suggesting that the noise level of the VPNS system is so low that I don't see what people are complaining about.

4. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I think people just don't like the sound chosen... Or might want a different sound.

Of course... They could have been evil about the sounds...

Or

or

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QM79i-lXQ&feature=related"]Error 502 (Server Error)!!1[/ame]

Or...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-RzQrd1QM"]Funny cats howling - YouTube[/ame]

5. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Is this a joke? You got one person on a chat board that said they hit someone. You want me to find someone with a gas engine car on a message board that said they hit a pedestrian?

One other link was just an opinion article.

Next article state - "But data on whether electric-drive cars actually hit pedestrians more often has been lacking. "
    And the new reports are on limited data, based on only 12 states.
    Also how do they determine twice as likely to hit cyclist? .06 to .03.

Not really good information.

I'm not going to waste more of my time watching your youtube video but I don't see any good evidence.

7. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

Short on time, quickly skimmed over everything and wanted to reply.

Regarding hitting ped. -
    Correction a handful of people from a post in 2007, postings from US and Canada.

You can find close calls with any type of vehicle.

As said before no real evidence that i can see.
    Hybrids too quiet article is people on a message board expressing opinions and the 2009 article Do hybrids hit more ped.... doesn't really say anything or prove anything.

Maybe we should make it mandatory for every vehicle to have installed Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Devices.
    I'm sure you will find more drunk driver accidents and deaths than Prius's running over blind people or any other ped.

8. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

As I said... You are more than welcome to turn it off... However, I am not the one who put all this crap together. The sound itself is not that damn disturbing and the simple fact is, there are people out there who would LOVE to sue you or make excuses to sue you because you 'hit' them without them knowing. You know, those grifter types who like to suit you, your mother and your little dog just cause they can.

I really don't care, but if it happens... I won't be the only one going, "I warned ya."

As for the 'Alcohol Breath Testing'... Don't be a jerk in your responses back. I gave you within reasonable response why the system is there. I never stated you had to keep it, I stated the reason you shouldn't remove it. If you have people who love to hate the Prius, or just wants to find ways to dick you over no matter what, that would be one of them and the easiest to do. Testing for driving drunk under the influence is not the same thing as driving without giving people an indication your car is moving or is making audible sounds heading towards you. One is you violating a literal law about not driving under the influence that can render you not only a danger to yourself, but to anyone on the road. The VPNS necessity is not a law, but a recommendation to ensure pedestrian safety. Removing it from your car or disabling it will also not protect you from being held litigiously liable for someone else getting injured.

Lastly, there is also a reason why some large trucks and delivery trucks have that 'reverse beep' on the outside or honking their horns when backing up. But hey, they don't HAVE to have the reverse beep or honk when they back up... But they do it for one reason... To avoid being held liable for not giving adequate warning for pedestrian safety.

9. Cvk14

Cvk14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are there any applicable laws requiring the VPNS?

10. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds]Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    While it is not a set law, the simple point is, the law won't side with you with regards to a lawsuit held against you if you wish to disable the VPNS.

11. Cvk14

Cvk14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    h t t p:// w w w.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/s841/text

The bill requires:
    <18 months of research first.
    <36 months to REQUIRE new cars manufactured after that date to comply with the rule. and that reflects 36 months AFTER the rule is established, which is AFTER the 18months of research. the wording is particularly confusing here.. but its Sec.3 of this bill.

even realistically, IF they took 1 week to do resarch (which wouldn't happen since this is the federal goverment), then they would require the device on 9/1 +3 years from 2010.. which is 9/1/13... thus my 2012 car manufactured in 3/2012 is not REQUIRED to have the device by law. at MOST.. 12/2010 (bill is passsed) + 18 months = 6/2012 + 3 years = 9/1/2015

I don't mean to sound like i'm trying to thwart the law here. my schedule at work has me coming and going at weird hours of the night and morning. i'm not sure how much of an impact the VPNS will make sound wise while i'm driving up my very quiet block, i'll see when i take delivery of the car, but based on the evidence here, its not law yet. it might become law, but will do so at the very earliest in 2013. and perhaps even later.

everyone who does disable the VPNS should do so by arming themselves with an understanding of the laws.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

i have found it to be much less offensive than i thought it would be. to me, it sounds like something is rubbing on one of my wheels. however, if someone ever posts detailed instructions to disable (preferably with a switch) i will definitely take advantage of it.

13. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Ok... For the umphteen time... I never said it was the law.

Please get this through your head.

Next, I pointed out that a court will not seriously give you a 'break' if someone were to sue you over an accident that involves having it turned of.

Secondly, the VPNS on the Prius is as 'obnoxious' or 'loud' as a bicycle with a trading card hitting the spikes. To be honest, late night driving with it isn't going to disturb you or anyone else in the neighborhood. Your horn is going to be more annoying than the VPNS and people are replacing the Prius v horn with something louder.

14. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I like the quasi-futuristic sounds the C makes at slow speeds. I think it's "neat".

I really don't believe that the noise will make clueless pedestrians realize a car is coming up on them though...

Having stated all of that, I purposely installed a backup horn (ie. beep... beep... beep, etc) on my Expedition. There are apparently a lot of people who like to loiter behind my Expedition while I'm trying to back out of parking spaces at Costco.

15. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I personally don't like it. I know why it's there and regardless... I don't like it on my car and wish I knew how to disable it.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read my comments section. :)

17. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    JBumps likes this.
  19. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    F8L likes this.
  20. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As I mentioned already in another thread. I want someone to hack it so I can customize the music/sound. Customize it like my ringtone on a phone. Most times mine would be playing the Empire March theme from Star Wars. During the holiday season it might be playing Trans Siberian's Wizards in Winter or just to drive the shoppers nuts, I might just keep circling the Mall Parking lot playing the barking dog Jiggle Bells over and over... Whoof!

Wolfman33 likes this.