1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v - Seized Caliper Pins & Non-OEM Rotors

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Leroy105, Oct 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Leroy105

Leroy105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I had a post back in the summer, for getting my rear brakes replaced at 66K miles.

Prius V -- Rear Brakes Down to Metal at 66K Miles? | PriusChat

I was in a hurry and didn't have the gear to lube the slides. I went in to the dealership and they are saying the rear caliper pins are seizing, and the pads are now shot at 70k miles.

They called out the pads being pretty worn last time and were being truthful, so I'm hoping they are being equally truthful here. Sounds like I just need to grind down the slide pins and lube everything up. That's TBD, because I need to jack the car up and get at the pads.

I feel a little bad if I just chewed up some new OEM pads in 5k miles! Why didn't they call this out earlier!

---

They are calling out a full pad, shims, and rotor job on each side of the rear axle.

Can anyone weigh in on non-OEM rotors for their Prius V? (Has anyone done a non-OEM pad & rotor job that didn't squeak and sound horrific? Would you recommend a brand? I just remember doing brake jobs in high school using the cheapest stuff at Autozone cause I was broke, and it was awful results....).

If the pads are toast, I will replace them with OEMs (I have had horrific results with non-OEM pads).

2. Leroy105

Leroy105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This gets even sketchier.

The service guy on the phone was a little sketchy, and was telling me they were going to disassemble the calipers and sandblast them and all sorts of nonsense and I needed the fully monty on each rear axle.

SO -- I am looking at his paperwork and they claim the rear caliper slides are seized.

What is this sketchiness on the little Toyota paperwork, you'll notice they marked all the brake pads are fine. But they didn't measure any of the pad thicknesses like I asked.

BUT, they marked that the DRUM BRAKES are nearly dead. This car doesn't have drums does it? I don't see anything looking like a drum.

It's definitely possible the caliper is seized / sticky since no one has ever lubricated the slides and it's been through 4 salty winters in Chicago.

----

SCHAUMBURG TOYOTA, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

If this car has no rear drums, I am going to tell them I want at least this oil change comped.

Attached Files:

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    forget the comp, get your car and get out of there!:eek:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Leroy105

Leroy105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, I jacked up the car and checked out the caliper slides...

THERE IS NO SEIZING OF ANY SORT. PADS REPLACED AT 66K, LOOK FINE.

CALIPER PINS LOOKED TOTALLY LUBED AND NOT CORRODED AT 70K (THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN LUBED).

I lubed up the caliper pins anyway with some 3M Silicone paste, and bolt everything back together.

This is like borderline fraudulent for a service department to claim that level of wear in a braking system. I seriously I am going to make a fuss to Toyota corporate. Waste of 2 hours of my time chasing this.

PS -- life is so much easier with an electric impact wrench...
    20181005_125103.jpg

Attached Files:

5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Yeah they look fine alright! This is why I try to do my own maintenance whenever possible. I don't trust most shops!

For the record, I replaced all four rotors with 'zinc plated' ones and they still look great. Note that my rotors were in really bad shape but marginally functional. The sliding pins were not in good shape.

Here is the link to the entire saga if interested : Hi all, new Prius v owner | Page 3 | PriusChat

I have also done a lot of other things to the car...I also ended up replacing the entire front suspension. (y) Again..read the thread above if interested. It certainly was a learning experience!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius v rear brakes maybe have a small drum brake inside the rotor? @farmecologist maybe knows, can confirm.

Be really careful with 3M Silicone paste, there's two kinds, and there's (too) subtle hints in the descriptions: one is ok with rubber, the other will swell rubber. The rear pins (I see from your pictures) have rubber rings.

I'll look through my notes, see if I can find which is which.

Assuming this is the one you used, it appears to be fine for rubber:

3M™ Silicone Paste | 3M United States

I'm pretty sure there's another, similar name, not rubber compatible. I'll see if I can find.

7. Leroy105

Leroy105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    @Mendel Leisk -- I read about the silicone paste earlier after my post at 66K.

I got the 3M Silicone paste recommend by "Eric the Car Guy" on Youtube, it's the rubber friendly stuff. Not cheap, like $30 for a tub or something off of Amazon.

I didn't have anything before, and I just needed to get new pads ASAP on the car.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Leroy105

Leroy105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    @farmecologist -- those rotors look non-OEM? I usually have bought OEM parts for my cars (I don't wrench a ton, but on this Prius V I am planning on working on it more just because it is my dog car).

Have you bought non-OEM pads & rotors for your Priuses (Priui?)? Any advice to share?

---

I was looking at your other thread. Wowsa that is a dirty car, that needed some work!

9. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Yep our Prius v (wagon) was an extremely dirty car when we purchased it...but we got a good deal on it knowing we would need to do some work. It's all good now and I'm happy to say that the car doesn't consume any oil yet...even at 137K miles. (y)

Yes the rotors are non-OEM. I wanted to 'experiment' with zinc-plated rotors to see if they slow down rust. So far so good!

I put 'R1 Concepts' rotors/pads on the Prius v (wagon). I just bought some 'Powerstop' rotors/pads for our 2010 liftback. I don't usually plug websites but rockauto has been a great source for me.

And as @Mendel Leisk mentioned above..the rear brakes on the Prius v (wagon) are disc brakes. However, the parking brake is a mini-drum brake. This is a different configuration than the Prius liftback. My thread mentioned above has info about this.