1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v software recall

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by telmo744, Jul 15, 2015.

1. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is same recall as the Liftback EOE. Any thoughts on why Toyota has taken this long to identify the v's?

Later models, fewer miles, buying time, continued failures?

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Wow, if my wife's 2014 v has to go back and if we lose 5-10 mpg then we will be at 25-30mpg. Omg!!!

Currently at 35 mpg calculated...

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Driving in "B"?

Bob Wilson

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Nope, she just drives it like a normal car (she actually accelerates pretty slowly though) and pumps the ac full blast almost all the time.

Her commute is only 9 miles each way and has a bunch of traffic lights and some elevation change.. Not the best combo. I am going to show her the YouTube pointer video again...

DogDaze likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That explains it

6. wheaten lover gal

wheaten lover gal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My local dealership said,yesterday,a notification via snail mail will be sent when more info is received. I will call them myself,weekly,and not depend on them to contact me.

I drive too many highways for a problem to cause my Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) 3 to stop suddenly!

Scared!!

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Take 5 mph off the top speed and you'll be fine. The energy required increases by the square of the velocity . . . especially above 45 mph where aerodynamic drag has the greatest contribution. Slightly slower speed helps a lot.

Bob Wilson

#27 bwilson4web, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    DogDaze likes this.
  8. wheaten lover gal

wheaten lover gal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hard to drive under 55mpg where we live,hgwy with 3 traffic lights to get into town. Tailgaters if we drive slower which is really stupid,rural folks in Jeeps and pickups

iPad ?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are already driving close to "under 55mpg" (assume you meant 55 mph), you have nothing to worry about. But if you are flooring the accelerator to get up to 70 mph climbing up a hill, there is a problem.

Drive softly and look for other traffic to follow ... semi-trailer trucks and pick-ups with a trailer. Not all but handicap licensed vehicles also work. Just 'get stuck' behind them until the patch arrives. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#29 bwilson4web, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    DogDaze likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup yup. And keep at it after the patch.

DogDaze and bwilson4web like this.
  11. brian.fred

brian.fred New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am a new member here only because this issue has happened to my wife. She was going about 50 MPH when the car shut down. The dealership diagnosed the IPM is the problem. Has anyone experienced this issue? I am really scared to put her back in this car knowing this can happen.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Priuschat.

I have had our 2003 shutdown ~40 times and our 2010 about 6 times. In all cases by running out of gas. So I put the spare gallon in the car and drove to a gas station. Still, people should not live in fear.

It might help if you could provide more details as I would like to repeat the failure. I already drive mostly at 50 mph so that doesn't work. We have both a 2010 and 2003 Prius and except for deliberately running out of gas, no problem.

How old is the car?
    Who diagnosed the problem?
    Was it a warranty repair?

Bob Wilson

13. lo_aus

lo_aus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    The recall has now reached Australia for vehicles built between November 2011 to November 2014.
    ==================
    Toyota Australia has announced a recall on approximately 2900 of its Prius V hybrid family cars, affecting models built between November 2011 and November 2014.

Forming part of a wider recall that affects around 625,000 Prius V models globally, the issue centres around a software glitch that could cause the vehicle’s hybrid system to fail.

In a statement today, Toyota Australia said that software settings in the motor/generator control ECU and hybrid control ECU “could result in higher thermal stress in some transistors, potentially causing them to become damaged”.

Toyota says that, in most cases, an event of this nature would result in warning lights illuminating and potentially a switch to a failsafe mode to avert further damage.

The company notes however that “in rare circumstances”, the hybrid system could shut down while the vehicle is being driven, resulting in a loss of power that would bring the vehicle to a stop.
    ==================

Does anyone know what "failsafe" mode means? How should a driver respond should it happen when this happens?

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Usually "failsafe" means the car operates at a reduced speed and power mode. For example, the NHW11 noisy encoder failure would limit speed to 25 mph. The traction battery 'turtle' also reduced power when it got too hot.

Bob Wilson

15. KFRED

KFRED New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Our vehicle is 3 years old. We've had it for ~40 months. 2012 Prius V. No issues until Friday when this issue occurred.

Had about 8 gallons of gas in the 10 gallon tank, so not an out of gas issue. I was changing lanes while accelerating and was doing about 50 mph. I would not consider any of this out of the ordinary, so I would guess not repeatable.

It felt like I lost power (Steering, reduced speed, etc), and I was able to coast to a stop. Several dash lights came on (if you look at the preliminary notification for the recall, those were the illuminated lights).

I turned the power off and let the car sit. Called husband, checked oil, fluids. Called the dealership and they said it should be safe to drive in. However, after restarting the engine, more lights were illuminated, and the car would not go into drive. Had the car towed to dealership, and was told that there were over two pages of error codes spitting out.

Toyota service diagnosed the problem. They said it is the first one they have ever had with the issue. It will be covered under the Hybrid warranty. They will replace the IPM, but they do not have the software repair ready. Therefore, it could potentially happen again.

DogDaze and mikefocke like this.
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    KFRED thanks for the detailed description.

As we get more and more electronics in our cars, I think all cars are going to be susceptible to this type of failure. A manufacturing variation combined with imperfect code that was never designed to handle the situation. I say this as one who played at the intersection of hardware and software for 37 years.

DogDaze likes this.
  17. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    DogDaze likes this.
  19. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We can only assume it's been fixed on the Gen IV.

DogDaze likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DogDaze likes this.