1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wont go into drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ContainsJuice, Mar 8, 2019.

1. ContainsJuice

ContainsJuice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2006 Prius with 130k miles on it. I got it a few days ago and drove it a 100 miles back to my house with no problems. The next day I drove to school and stopped and noticed the red triangle of death and several other lights come on. The trans would go into neutral but nothing else and the speedometer was gone but the odometer was still shown. The ready light was off and the brake like was on. We tested several things including the battery and engine and ran a code reader. All coming back positive. We erased the codes and it worked but a few hours later the same scenario started and I was back to square one. Anyone have any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    check the inverter pump. did the speedo come back on with the reset? did you test the 12v or hybrid battery?

3. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for helping out. Hybrid was tested and came back perfect. The 12v said it was fine as well, however recently I did disconnect it and when I went to try the car again the red triangle was gone but the lights stayed. I went through the maintenance mode to check the codes but I decided to just go with a code reader and I didn't even need to erase anything when it switched to ready mode. Im thinking this is temporary but will keep the thread posted. Also how would I go about checking the inverter pump?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat !!

What were those DTCs that you erased ?

It would be quite helpful if you could post the codes here.

5. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It would definitely be very helpful but sadly we both forgot and that was definitely stupid. I was manly just excited it was working again. When we went back to the shop we were thinking it was P0122 which is a throttle position sensor code (low voltage) but I don't want to say thats for certain.

6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a high voltage leak. It's the only code that causes no driving problems until the car is shut off. Then It will not restart. Clearing the code allows the car to again drive normally until the error is detected again. Then you are back to the no restart condition.

The car seller was most likely aware of this problem.

Skibob and SFO like this.
  7. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It errors even while driving which I found out today. I can be driving for a few minutes and then it errors again. Could you explain the high voltage leak? Also the seller had it taken into a hybrid shop in which he found a cell that was going bad so he replaced it and 5 others that could possibly go bad. Then he had the shop run a full check and everything seemed to be up to par. It wasn't until I drove it here that it started having this problem. I must note it has been decently cold and we have had a ton of rain as well. I checked for leaks in the trunk and found none.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the inverter coolant level and the inverter pump for operation, if you can't hear the pump or visually discern liquid movement, then take a finger or a pencil/stick/rod and touch the inverter pump housing to sense any working vibration : P0a93 engine code | PriusChat

Here is the workup for DTC P0A93 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/21bpm/0a93346.pdf

9. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After the dash has lit up like a Christmas tree, does it keep driving fine until it's shut off?

10. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It does. When I park and shut it off and then turn it back on it lights up again and wont let me go into drive or reverse

11. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ok update on my Prius. So I went and disconnected the 12v and reconnected it. It worked for 2 days just fine and it wasn't until today that it decided to go off again. Same scenario and everything. It wont show any codes on my code reader but my code reader does get rid of the triangle but thats it. Im still stumped

12. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your reader sucks!

For $20 at Amazon you can get a blue tooth reader that works with any Android phone or tablet. There are dozens of apps available. A couple of good ones are Torque or Dr Prius.

The other option is a $20 Mini VCI cable, a Windows XP laptop, and Toyota Techstream software. This option will pick up sub or detail codes that will help pinpoint the location of the leak.

The missing code is P0AA6.

Skibob and SFO like this.
  13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This. And it’s not going to get any better. Plus the battery could explode if you keep resetting it and not fixing the problem.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your home most likely has ground fault circuit interupt outlets in the kitchen and bathrooms. The purpose of GFCI is to avoid shock in the event an electrical appliance is shorted to ground. For example, suppose you drop a hair dryer into the bathtub full of water. Or the toaster ends up in the kitchen sink. If the outlet detects a ground fault, a breaker within will trip to disconnect power to the outlet.

The Prius high voltage battery consists of 28 modules. The modules are electrically isolated from body ground. However, if a module develops an electrolyte leak, the leakage path constitutes a conductive path to body ground. This constitutes a ground fault, much like the home analogy discussed above. The battery ECU has a system to detect the presence of a high voltage leak. As a safety measure, the ECU will register a fault code and prevent the car from starting, once it is shut down. However you've found a workaround is to clear the fault codes, then the car will start at least once, until the ECU logs the fault code again.

I think that you can see that one module leaking, although a safety hazard, does not cause an immediate problem. The problem occurs when a second module develops an electrolyte leak. Now you have battery modules short circuited, which can cause a fire or other damage to the vehicle and perhaps anyone who happens to be inside the car.