1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Programming the Smart Key

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mhl0125, Mar 13, 2010.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I haven't talked with @3prongpaul for a few years now, although I do checkup on his Bolder Hybrids Service and Repairs business web pages once in a while. I just noticed his business has 98% 5 star rating on Carfax.com today.

There is a chicken dance that is explained in the Gen 2 forum, that doesn't need even techstream and so doesn't need a seed purchase either. That is if you have a working key and can find a virginized, or reset or new key fob to purchase.
    see his post here ; Programming the Smart Key | Page 2 | PriusChat

and I believe this is the original chicken dance instructions he is referring to.
    How to Program a New Key Fob for Full SKS Functionality | PriusChat

;)

2. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  3. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you do the "all keys lost" option? I guess that's why it didn't matter they weren't virgin (confirming info from Paul's post earlier), good to know.

Are you sure FCC ID didn't matter? If your car is an 4ACX then that's probably why they both worked as they both appear to be 4ACX. If you get a Lexus Credit Card key I think you'll be disappointed because they don't have a 4ACX version.

4. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hmmm, Interesting!

Looking at all of the remotes, they are all 4ACX and I feel like I read someone eons ago someone did it, but maybe my brain remembers from when I had a GS350 and someone got it to work on that vehicle. The way it's coming back to me, my thoughts will now look into the different versions, thanks for that piece I didn't calculate into the plans.
    The plan was to stumble upon a swapmeet where there are multiple tables of returned Amazon items for sale and I'm sure there will be one filled with key fobs... heh, figured the way things go for me, I'll literally stumble upon 5-10 and I can pick the version I assume should work.

to answer your question, yes, all keys lost. heh, literally that was the situation to only find the one key 25mins after not completing the process and locking myself out of the immobilization system. Another Prius owner in the house thought it was theirs and wondered why it didn't work on their car. ha! They thought the batter was dead! I thought I tried the Gen 4 Prime key but now I remember I didn't want to go through the process to add the key back to that car. I figure it wont hurt to try and program another version, the way I've realized Toyota works is they can have one part have multiple part numbers specific to individual cars but things all still work together because of their secret sauce.

You can see the fobs and their IDs on this blog article I wrote about programming the prius smart key system with a Lexus key fob.
    n

[​IMG]

now I feel I need to go back and look at all of the fobs I have, something says one wasn't the same that was programmed and it wasn't the Prime key... this after typing all of this out.

5. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah you see! It doesn't matter, I've been thinking about your words here because I dontknow how to prove it to myself of what I did but... something is telling me I used another remote or something and it worked. Any who... I found a credit card fob for stupid cheap and a freidn says she would buy it so I cant wait to see if it all works.

I have another theory too in all of this. The OP in the link above has an Advanced Tech Package like mine and again, I can't say why but my brain is very adamant that we tested or found the remove doubt from my thought process in that the PIP with Advanced Tech package is another car quite frankly. Im willing to bet that something like the smart key immobilization system is something out of a Lexus and not the same maybe PCB board between the two parts in the two models.