1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Protect battery when (-30C) -22F

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fuel Miser, Jan 18, 2019.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's video (with an embedded graph) showing the effectiveness of the battery warmer during that recent polar vortex:

It's very easy to see how effective that is for keeping the pack at the ready, even in extreme temperatures.

Bill Norton likes this.
  2. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    One thing I have noticed about the battery warmer is that it turns on whenever it need it when there is no charging schedule active.

So , let's say you have one schedule active for Monday morning at 6am. If you park your car on Friday night and plug it and leave it until Monday The battery warmer will turn on only a couple of hours before your scheduled charging session. So yeah the battery can go below the freezing point during the weekend.

If you are not using any schedule , then the battery warmer turn on and off as needed to maintain a correct temp.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

vvillovv and Tideland Prius like this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perfect time of year to read this thread for the first time.
    NOT! (~ :rolleyes: ~).
    If only I'd read this sooner, I'd have already tried it to see for myself.

Perfect not since I'm already switching to,
    How do I help the car keep the pack temps lower and it's still under
    60 F (15 C )
    ambient today and pack temps are looking about
    10 F (-12 C )?
    higher than ambient temps

4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very nice video!
    But a question would be, Was the car in a warm garage at the start of this 5 min. 1.7 mi commute? How much of this battery temp was provided by the built in heaters?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The data is in the video. Dashboard shows outside temperature, which is the garage in this case (15°F). And the aftermarket app show battery temperature (41°F).

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @john1701a please correct me if I've overstepped

Bill
    A good question to ask, if the garage was heated. I had to rewatch the video, I had wondered the same.

In the first 22 seconds of the video, the video shows the dash thermometer showing 15 F with garage door closed and battery temp 41 F
    and the car was not used for 2 days prior to the trip in the video.

How much of the battery temp was provided by the heaters?
    I believe a good estimation would be the difference between 15 F and 41 F at the start of the video, although
    the ambient temps were probably fluctuating while the car was plugged in.

at 0:08 seconds in the video the graph shows the traction pack heaters being used Tuesday 3 times between 4am to 6am - 4 times between 9am to 10:30am - 3 times between 8pm to 9pm than Wednesday morning 5 times between 5:30am to 7am while the video was made on Thursday Dec 31st

Stats at the end were 30 minutes driving, 18.7 miles driven and 61.4 mpg show at timestamp 3:05 in the video.

I'm pretty sure I got at least some of the above right. They are all good questions and hard to see unless the video is played in slow mo.

I also hope @john1701a has more to add and corrections to mistakes I may have made.

Looks like it took me a half hour to gather that info
    Thanks for verifying John ;)

#26 vvillovv, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021