1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about a potential purchase- 2013 Prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by COclimber, Mar 28, 2017.

1. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I am a total newbie when it comes to the Prius. I am seriously considering buying a 2013 Prius v that I came across recently,for sale at a non-Toyota dealership. It has about 53,000 miles on it, which seems low for the car's age. Here's the thing: at the dealership, the car wouldn't start! The salesperson (who, I tnink, knows little to nothing about hybrids) said that the battery was likely dead. Here's my question: would the car not starting mean that the problem is in the small, 12v battery? If so, that seems like an easy fix. But could that indicate problems with the traction battery? The low mileage makes me wonder if the traction battery could have problems because maybe the car wasn't driven as often as would be ideal. Any thoughts on what I should be thinking about or asking about when negotiating for this car would be really helpful. Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

yes, it would be the 12v. they are small and weak, and die quickly if not charged frequently. they cost $150. to $200. plus install.
    the hybrid battery should be fine. i have 50,000 miles on my 2012.
    all the best!(y)

Montgomery and COclimber like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While the 12 volt battery sure sounds dead, you won't know how healthy the big battery is until they fix the 12 volt.

In CO , you have 4 more years and 47,000 miles more warranty on the big battery.

COclimber likes this.
  4. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the information! From what I read, it sounds like both batteries are involved in starting the car (again, I'm a total newbie, so if I'm wrong I apologize)- the 12v activates the traction battery, and the traction battery actually turns the engine over. So I wasn't sure if this problem related to one, the other, or both. Both of your replies are really helpful. Thanks. I appreciate the warranty info. Can a Toyota dealer run a diagnostic on the traction battery and provide information on its status? Thanks again, y'all. This is a great website.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12v boots the computers and relays, and the hybrid battery turns the engine over.

the dealer can tell you the health of the battery today, but not tomorrow. it's a go/no go test, the cells/modules are either within parameters, or they aren't.
    if the dealer replaces the 12v, the car starts, and you don't get any dash lights during a test drive, that's about the same test.

if you decide to buy, don't accept a recharged battery. letting them go flat is often the beginning of the end. demand a new one. and make sure you get two fobs.

6. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Great advice- thank you. I am wishing I had demanded two fobs when I bought my current car.

7. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hey there Bisco and Jimbo- just wanted to let you know that we purchased the Prius V today! The pre-purchase inspection came back looking great, and we got a good price. We are really excited about this car. Thanks again for the warranty info and advice. Now it's time to find a roof rack...

Montgomery and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! all the best.(y)

COclimber likes this.
  9. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First congrats on the purchase. Like you we love our 2016 Prius v Three.

Here is a quick search on these very forums concerning a roof rack for a Prius v. Hopefully you may get some ideas...

https://priuschat.com/search/31933599/?q=prius+v++roof+rack&o=relevance&c[node]=123

COclimber likes this.
  10. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Put on the rack yourself if you can!! Many places tighten it to much and crease your roof!!

COclimber likes this.
  12. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Woah! I don't want that happening to my new baby. Thanks for the heads up. I may have found a used Thule Traverse/Square pack that will fit it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  14. COclimber

COclimber New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model: