1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on amp install w/ factory head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SkudShark, Jan 6, 2013.

1. SkudShark

SkudShark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick Q for you guys and gals out there. I was looking to replace the front and back speakers and add a small 50x4 amp that draws less than 30 amp, to my gen 3, but I want to keep the factory headunit. A guy at one shop stated that the factory head unit sends some sort of pulse, to the speakers and that if I added an amp and new speakers and kept the factory unit, it would make sounds even when no music is playing. Is this true or just him blowing smoke?

I was looking to add a set of Infinity reference 6.5"s to the rear and front. And a JBL GTO-504EZ amp under the seat or in the back.

I know the stock head unit is meh, but I want to keep the phone and system integration so Im stuck with it. I assume a metra harness of some sort will be needed.

Thanks for any help!

2. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need a way to signal the external amp that it should turn on.
    Most amps have a remote power signal.
    Not sure how to do that with the OEM radio.
    I am also thinking about a small external amp.
    Many radios have a 'power antenna' external connector that puts out 12v when the unit is powered up. I suspect the prius doesn't, but there may be some line that gets 12v when the unit is on. You can use that to switch your amp on...

3. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same idea, keep the head unit but dump the speakers and add more power. I didn't overdue it; got 2 sets of Rockford Prime 6.5's for the doors and a Boss Audio CX350, 40w x 4 amp and love the improvement.
    Audio Control makes a bunch of line output converters that use the audio signal to send the 12v remote for the amps. I used an LC6i, nice and simple. You can find schematics in this forum to tie into the existing soeaker harness. The LCI fit perfect under the seat and amps in the cargo tray. You can also use an amp that takes speaker level inputs but if you use a good ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358216720.817376.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358216750.950129.jpg converter, you'll get a nice noise filter included.

Friend of Bill W. likes this.
  5. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't mean to take over the thread and dump such huge pics into the middle, that was the first time I used tapatalk. I thought you could see how the speakers fit the door, etc.

6. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Chris!
    Nice work! :)

7. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks a lot! I found upgrading the stereo hasn't been bad, just really time consuming. Thank God for Prius Chat and all the help with schematics!
    I like your wood dash, looks great with lighter interior. I'm trying for the same as you, still keeping the trunk functional. Once the weather warms up I'll put the sub into the left-side cubby with fiberglass and re-carpet the entire trunk floor to match. Then I can keep the tunes nice while hauling the family around if I need to! Access to the spare tire will be effortless if I ever need it (Hope not!!).
    I power the LC6i with a tap from the lighter but may insert a switch. I have a decent speaker pop when I turn off the car since the audio that triggers the remote never really goes away when you just turn off the radio.

Attached Files:

8. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I replaced just the door speakers, put a Polk 4x50 amp under the drivers seat (since I dont heat the rear floor) and have high to low converter behind the HU. all works fine. The 'pop' on the amp can be controlled by lowering you gain on the amp. Too much gain, will cause also a lot of hiss and that pop and too much bass.

9. CocoaBeachPriusChick

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I just installed Rockford Fosgate P2s and RF amp along with a capacitor in the back of my 2008 today. I have the JBL sound system upgrade with a factory head unit. I’d like to keep the factory head unit. I feel like I’m getting washed out by bass now though. What’s the best approach to even things out? Upgrading my interior speakers? Tuning the amp? Or something else...

10. CocoaBeachPriusChick

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I just installed Rockford Fosgate P2s and RF amp along with a capaciin the back of my 2008 today. I have the JBL sound system upgrade with a factory head unit. I’d like to keep the factory head unit. I feel like I’m getting washed out by bass now though. What’s the best approach to even things out? Upgrading my interior speakers? Tuning the amp? Or something else...

11. CocoaBeachPriusChick

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

So what is connected to your boss amp? Just theninteriors or the subs as well? I have an RF Prime 750 powering the RF woofers as is. Is it best to disconnect the factory and add another amp under the seat? And redo the interiors? I love the RF 6.5s