1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questioning the Value of SGII

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by markabele, Jun 18, 2012.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This is probably blaspheme in this forum but...I have yet to see the real value that a lot of you put on your SGII's. Don't get me wrong, it was beneficial for a day or two, but now that I know how those numbers correspond with what I'm seeing on the HSI I guess I don't find it very useful. I would love to be proven wrong and really learn how to get the full value out of it. Help!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can clear codes with it.

You can disable seat-belt, and reverse beeps with it.

You can monitor your coolant and MG temps with it.

Another neat gadget on the dash...

Use it in your other vehicles...

3. tevogel

tevogel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    IV
    how can i disable seat belt beep,please

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The more you learn about the car the more useful the gauge becomes. You cannot know engine temp, inverter temp, RPM, or even where or not you are in a true glide or why you cannot enter a glide etc. With experience comes even more questions and those questions can only be answered by the Scangauge. In time young Jedi. ;)

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    SGII is more entertaining than an iPod and costs less.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The biggest value to me is to learn what "normal" is the for many of the hybrid systems. Then when a problem does occur it will help me better troubleshoot and diagnose the problem.

8. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK HSI tells you rpm/coolant temp (not just engine but inverter for example), load, current going into and out of the main battery, 12V battery voltage, really want us to list a LOT if things which maybe relevant but HSI doesn't really tell you ...

For me just coolant temp and MPG worth it (well not really but ....) but these number is usually reported by average cars dam it.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I settled on some very basic gauges:

Accumulating mpg (since start up)
    Instant mpg
    rpm
    coolant temp

I haven't switched gauges (intentionally) in months, but find those very handy. Instant mpg in particular, gives overall feedback as to how you're doing. RPM is more accurate than the dash indication of whether or not the engine is running. And since I'm using a block heater and grill blocking, coolant temp is handy. Also clues you into when the engine's warmed.

Now if the Prius had a tach and temp gauge the scangauge would be less useful, but...

10. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Completely agreed! When I decided on grill blocking (first on my 2004) I was really worried about coolant temp. That is why I got scangauge ... and learned a few other things

Right on here ... most traditional car would have this info anyway. Not the 2004/2010 prius I had the touruing full package 2004 prius with bigger wheel colour screen backup camera etc that did not have it. But only pack 2. for 2010 so maybe the higher version has a little bit better reporting HSI IS an improvement but still rpm and coolant temp SHOULD be there.

cheers

11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That is definitely one area that I haven't thought about yet: coolant temp. Since I haven't owned my Prius in winter yet and therefore haven't tried grill blocking I totally forgot about that.

To those of you that use iMPG and MPG over life of vehicle: Those are things that the car tells you very easily. Although the exact number of the iMPG is nice no one has been able to explain to me why it is so much more important that the rudimentary gauge on the dash.

Also, to those not knowing if the ICE is really off or not, the 2012 tells you when you are in EV, so that's not near as important for us.

12. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you already have an android phone try Tourqe you would need a bluetooth ODBC gadgaget but that still a lot less expensive then ScanGauge II. Also there is a cheaper version of ScanGaugE (which I have and reviewed it here somewhere on PriusChat ... no Xgauges !!!)

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I admit, I wasn't even close to clear at the beginning of this thread. I actually don't own a SGII, I have the Torque app on my Android. Although I've heard there isn't any difference in the numbers.

In the past couple days I've found a number that's kind of fun to watch. It's the electrical flow of the battery pack. It amazes me that the AC on a hot day on hi (vehicle not moving) will pull as much current as when I am driving through my neighborhood at about 13 or 14 mph (no AC on).
    Also like watching how much current the AC is pulling.

14. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In this case YOU do not need SGII I found the Torque slightly more flexible and can report you entire trip (depending on dataplan for the phone). BUT it could be a lot more distracting ... I actually stopped taking my android tablet. I found myself watching it way to much in traffic ... SGe mounted leftish middle on dashboard just enough and I only change gauges at stop..

Did you try the eco-tree ??? that is fun to watch as well as the leafs are groing.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't tried the tree yet...what does it do?

16. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is just fun ... not sure what it measures but as you drive "more" efficiently the tree grows and gives you nice encouragement I guess.

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the 2nd Gen a person could earn cookies for driving well. Does the 3rd Gen have a screen for this? I dont drive mine enough to remember if it does and am not home to check it for myself :(

Thanks,
    Mike

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bar-based iMPG gauge does not offer enough resolution to accurately define mpg at a given time. It is very difficult to see anything finer than a 10mpg difference whereas the numerical iMPG display on Torque or Scangauge offer a much finer resolution. This is especially important when looking for small detail like AC impact or mpg over a given surface.

EV does not light up when you are in warp stealth over 42?mph. For example, on my work to home commute I drive down a long grade that allows me to "warp stealth" down the entire grade if I am lucky. I have no way of knowing if my car is actually in warp stealth or if the ICE is running and using fuel if I only use the factory displays. The Scangauge will show either 9999MPG in a GenII, or 960 or 992RPM in a GenIII, when I am in warp stealth. The EV indicator does not light up at these higher speeds. If for some reason I don't have enough SOC or the engine temp drops too low which is common in winter, the ICE will fire and mpg will go from infinite to 150-300mpg. These are things that you cannot observe with the factory displays. Furthermore, if I the ICE does fire, I would have no way of telling if it was due to engine temp or SOC unless I had an aftermarket gauge or the SOC was so low that you could see if on the factory display which again, is not very fine in detail. :)

19. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's interesting. Can I ask a question about that?

On my home to work commute, I drive down a long grade at speeds between 45 MPH and 50 MPH. I have a Four with the Solar Roof package, which includes the HUD. I have the HUD set to show the hybrid system indicator. If the traffic permits, I can often do a long glide at high speed. The EV indicator comes on in the HUD, and the bar shows pretty much nothing (its resolution isn't high enough to really tell).

Is that the kind of thing you are talking about? To tell you the truth I've never looked to see if the EV indicator on the dash is on. I will have to look now!

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Please do check and see if the dash light comes on. I checked it against yesterday and I didn't see it but I'll check again on the way home. I'm usually going 60-75mph down the hill on my commute. :)