1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle Electric Motor Noise behind Dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eman08, Nov 10, 2016.

1. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    New Thread continued from my old thread. Seems like my old thread died out. Small motor noise behind steering wheel dash | PriusChat

Here is the video clip of some electric motor sound moving back and forth somewhere behind the dash board, sounds like someone rattling a door nob. Ignore the brushing sound as its just me moving my phone around. You can hear a rattling back and forth sound behind the dash board more near the shifter. What do you thing? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZD2aOUG4DaVDJObWRMdzZWOG8

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does this only happen when the engine is running? It almost sounds like a gurgling noise. Have you checked your engine coolant level? And not just at the reservoir, but at the radiator cap under the black splash shield.

3. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

That gurgling noise is also my phone making that noise. There is no gurgling sound in person. Just a rattle noise something just moving back and forth behind the dashboard. It does it when the ICE is not running too. Engine coolant level is fine.

#3 eman08, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not much help, hard to be sure which noise is which.

5. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will. Take the dash apart again over the weekend and take a look. Hopefully I can get a better recording or find what that little guy is causing that noise and it doesn't do it every day which is strange as it's like a few times in a week.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed the same, haven't found the answer. My theory is that it is the auto a/c setting and there is a baffling between how much air is being drawn through the condenser coil and how much is being drawn from outside or recirculated and from the cabin. Mine only seems to do it when it is auto cooling the outside air not when heating it. Also only after it has gotten to the set temp, usually 71 F. So I think it is a thermostat controlled servo motor that controls a damper.

iPhone ?

eman08 likes this.
  7. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Seems more likely since it not consistent as does it when ever it wants to. I double checked the engine compartment today and nothing audible in the engine compartment which rules out any pumps. Only audible inside the car behind the dash. It doesn't make the noise in Accessory mode but does in Ready mode. Any Idea where would that servo motor located at? The sound is def on the driver side of the car and not the passenger side.

8. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting I'll compare mine to that

iPhone ?

eman08 likes this.
  9. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Found a video that sounds actually the same. very faint rattle sound just like mine, but in a 1st gen Prius. Will be looking for that motor over the weekend and pull it out.

#9 eman08, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  10. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Same sound

Paul Schenck likes this.