1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Small motor noise behind steering wheel dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eman08, Nov 7, 2016.

1. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i took my dash apart a couple months ago as I notice this weird electric motor rattling sound like a small motor turning back and forth some where behind my steering wheel and the right vent next to the start button. Is there some kinda of pump behind the dash because I sure didn't see one when I took the dash apart behind the steering wheel as all I saw was the power steering computer module? I only hear it with in side the car and no where outside of the car or engine compartment. It also happens while stationary and also when the AC is off. Its like someone rattling a door nob twisting it back and forth. Possibly be the electric steering motor doing that? Certainly doesn't effect my driving but the Prius sure does have its weird noises since its such a quite car as you can hear everything.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the buzzing sound when you open the drivers door?

3. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nope. just sounds like a small motor just turning back and forth with inside the dash like its trying adjust something or kinda like an electric pump or something. It does it every now and then not every day. drives like a charm though.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is quite a car but is not always quiet. I suspect the brake booster motor which runs even when the car is off sometimes. Other than that, you might have it diagnosed at a dealer. Just find one that will do a multi-check with an oil change and be sure to bring it up when you leave the car. Avoid the dealers that have separate oil change facilities.

eman08 and lrisius like this.
  5. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This was my first thought, too. I hear what I would call a whirring motor noise coming from directly in front of the driver (actually in the engine compartment) when I first get in the car if it has been sitting a long time. I usually notice it first thing in the morning. I haven't noticed it any other times but other sounds could easily hide it when the car is running, radio is on, etc.

eman08 likes this.
  6. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've yet did a comprehensive scan with my car yet since I'm one of those DIY guys. I will check the engine compartment again and maybe when I catch it doing it again will see if I can capture the sound. Haven't made my round to get the Toyota Tech Stream with Mini VCI cable yet but heard to do a full diagnostic scan with that is subscription based as I saw its about 55 bucks for a two day subscription as I'm better off just paying Toyota to scan it for me ha about the same amount of money. No trouble codes with my basic scan tools so far. Yeah could be some brake related issue but hard to tell since it doesn't do it all the time. Anyone heard of Scotty Kilmer? One of those famed Youtube Mechanics. Awesome dude.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like edd china from wheeler dealers. guy can fix anything. and roger barr, from chasing classic cars.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ever watch the episode where Mike got a Miata and Edd was trying to get in and out? I didn't know if he could fold, then unfold himself, but somehow he did:).

Also impressed Roger is still at it. He has some good quips as he is wrenching.

bisco likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm trying to figure out what car you're talking about ... your profile says you have a 2009 liftback, but you've posted this in a forum for the Prius v wagon.

I know the Gen 1 (2001-03) heater servos can get like that. I know they went to a new design in Gen 3 (2010+ and the wagon) that should be less prone to that problem, but if you're talking about a 2009, it wouldn't surprise me. I think those servos were still built like the ones in Gen 1.

-Chap

eman08 likes this.
  10. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The 2nd gen Prius. This is the 2nd time I've posted in the wrong category by accident ha. But yeah the sound is more like around the shifter and radio. So it could be related to heater/AC. But don't even have to have the AC or heater on. It does right when I out the car in to ready mode, does it for a little while and then it stops.

#10 eman08, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What do you mean be not having AC or heater on? If blower is on then the whole system is on. To me noise that you’re describing sounds like some air flap adjusting back and forth.

12. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nope. I don't even have to have the AC or heater on and makes a rattle noise like you are wiggling a door nob. It's more noticeable near the Shifter. It starts right away when I put the car in Read mode, does it for a little while and then stops and goes away. It also does it when the car is completely shut off too just sitting stationary. But again, it doesn't do it all the time either. It's like a mystery behind that dashboard.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I remember Roger racing his Formula Vee, the Barr Car. Yes, we are THAT OLD.

bisco likes this.
  14. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The rattle sounds just like the ABS booster pump, but you'd definitely hear that under the hood near the right side of the firewall. Don't ignore that, it could be a big ticket item and there's a warranty extension on it. What's your brake fluid look like?

A slower "back and forth" noise would be the three-way coolant valve, but again, you'd hear that under the hood near the left front fender. Check your coolant.

A bad blender door in the A/C system normally has more of a slow squeaking noise, and you would not hear that under the hood very well.

15. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah the sound is more on the driver side more towards shifter and air vent by the start button. Got about 166,000 miles on this bad boy and it's only 7 years old so definitely out of all warranties and doubt I would qualify for any extensions with such high mileage racked up in a short amount of time. The back and forth rattle like motor noise can be both fast and slow as it varies. It's definitely like some kinda a motor somewhere behind the dash board as I would have to look farther more since it's not audible inside the engine compartment. It's a very faint sound. Brake fluid levels are fine.

#15 eman08, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    See if you can hear it while adjusting the climate control vents (inside/outside air, etc.) Just a guess...

17. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's not doing it today haha. I does it when it wants to. And no I don't have to do anything does it on its own. It's a electric motor moving like click rattle noise. I will post a video of what it sounds like in a bit.

18. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well here we go guys got a video clip of the sound. Ignore me moving my phone around making a brushing sound. As you can see, you can hear some kind of motor moving back and forth at a fast rate behind the dashboard. Kinda of hard to hear it but you can hear it jitter like a washing machine going back and forth. What do you think?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZD2aOUG4DaVDJObWRMdzZWOG8

19. hollyhal

hollyhal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    eman80, it looks like your helpful sound clip is the last post in this thread? I found this today, searching to see what in the world the new sound is coming from my 2008 dashboard. Same place as you're describing, and happens whether the car is in motion, A/C is on or off, whatever. To me it sounds a little like the turn signal (but not the turn signal, obviously). Did you ever get to the bottom of this? It's driving me crazy.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Comparing the original poster's 66-megabyte video to the 1/3-megabyte one of a noisy HVAC servo that I linked to in post #9 ... I'd say the puzzle could probably have been solved last November if the OP had followed the link.

-Chap