1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Realistic battery life

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Andres V, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a Prius 2010 and soon I'll have to change the hybrid battery.
    I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before my Toyota dealer hits me in the teeth with the diagnostic and quote.
    My car har roughly 150000 Km, I bought it used last year and now the "Check Hybrid System" error message has been appearing for the 2nd time in a month. The first time at the Toyota dealer they solved it by cleaning the fan filter but now it's back on and very probably it's going to be a battery change the dealer told me.
    Before buying this car last year I saw a lot of reviews and most of them agree that a hybrid battery is made to last the life of the car, which can be more than 500000 Km for as much as I know.
    Now my dealer is telling me that the realistic life expectancy is around 120000 Km, after that "some" batteries may need a change.
    Now I come to you. Do you know what percentage is that "some"?
    It's just that I fell very unlucky to be one of the few who won the unlucky "lottery" with a battery change, from what I read, it's not that common, most dealers have changed around 2 batteries in more than 10 years. Is it really that common to change a battery after 120000 Km, it's like saying, changing the whole combustion engine on any car after that much, it seems very improbable to me.
    Thanks.

amos likes this.
  2. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine threw a code that the battery was going bad at 73,500 (118300 Km) and I got the death code at 78,000 miles (125,500Km)

I get the impression that life is around eight years, mine started dying at eight years four months and went into I'm dying at nine years two months. In my opinion mileage has little to do with the life of the battery. Time and environmental conditions seem to affect the battery more than mileage.

Starship16, dubit and scona like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our 2010 Prius II with 187 k miles (purchased August 2009) has the original battery that I maintain with the Prolong equipment and it is running strong:).

When the dealer told you the first issue, did they read the code?

Do you have a way to read the codes?

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

you are in a warm climate = strike one.

500,000km is fantasyland but for a few cab companies in mld climates.

we don't have any statistics on battery longevity.

you probably are a bit unfortunate to be at the lower end of 'average'.

what you read about '2 batteries in 10 years' sounds way, way off.

don't forget to call toyota customer care and ask for goodwill warranty help, if and when you get the bad news.

all the best!(y)

Starship16 likes this.
  5. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Chances are the Op being in Mexico, a bit above Mexico City, is seeing a shortened traction battery life because of the daily, yearly hight temperature, is there any law against the Op driving to Texas where by prearrangement, and hopefully a cost of no more than 3,000$ US, getting a new one installed?

6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    A little more knowledge about the OP's climate conditions might be useful:

upload_2018-9-28_10-46-33.png

Temps are more like those found on the West Coast than anywhere else. Battery should never be under stress from ambient temperatures given how cold it gets at night. I think the worst conditions are on the East Coast in the summer where it never cools off at night. I would look for some other reason the battery appears to be dying a premature death. I'm betting the fan was really clogged when the dealer finally cleaned it.

amos and Starship16 like this.
  7. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my experience, in Oregon/Washington, these batteries live 12 years on average in the 2nd gen. With the 3rd gen it depends on whether it was used as a cab or just a daily driver. I'm not seeing any particular pattern yet with 3rd gens and have only been fixing cabs/ubers and courier cars with 200-300k miles, once we hit 2021-2022 I expect most 2010s will need a new battery.

8. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    5900' of elevation, ah, so a moderate temp, good point.

davecook89t likes this.
  9. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Today I finally got the diagnostic. Well I'll get it tomorrow written, I explicitly asked for the diagnostic codes, they sounded hesitant at first. Hope for the best for tomorrow. There's only one thing that got me really angry. The told me they need to change the car's CPU with the battery change. They claim that when the hybrid battery is changed they have to do a software upgrade, on the CPU and the battery too. Most of the time the CPU doesn't hold and burns, so they have to change it preventively. How much bull crap is there in this claim?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

amos likes this.
  10. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They are talking about the HV battery ECU, correct? Apparently it is quite common for the connectors to become corroded or covered with what is called malachite, at least on the earlier generation cars. Take a look at some of the pictures here: The battery fires at ECU sense connector thread | PriusChat

It's possible the 3rd gen cars will also be affected by this problem, most of them just haven't been on the road long enough to develop these kinds of problems. Perhaps you can ask to take a look at all of the HV battery components once they've got everything pulled apart. If you see corrosion on any of them, you might be well advised to be proactive about replacing some of them that have not failed yet, but will soon. That said, I certainly sympathize with you in your situation. You would not expect to have these kinds of problems in a car that is barely out of warranty with relatively low miles.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You don't have to change the ECU with the battery. You can but it generally isn't required. The Gen-2 and Gen-3 requires no ECU update. This was more common on the Gen-2 because there were some ECU fire/corrosion style problems that over a decade made it either too fragile or broken.

Most likely they are either too lazy or incompetent to swap over the electronics. Or worst case, they are planning to re-sell your old core as a rebuilt.

When you replace the HV battery with a Toyota battery they ship you a brand new shell plus all the battery modules installed but without the electronics. Your dealer then transfers all your old electronics to the new shell with new batteries. Then returns the old shell with the old batteries for a core refund.

There is a second more expensive option which is just the whole battery electronics and all. That one you just drop in. and return your core. As far as I know, you get no credit for the electronics, it is the same $1350 USD core.

It could just be they do so few Prius battery swaps down there that they are unaware they have to swap over the old stuff.

12. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So you say batteries should never be exposed to great temperature gradients?
    That shortens their life span?
    What do you guys mean by "Op" anyway?

13. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Could you point me to a list of systems errors please. In an hour I'm going to pick up my car and I wanna check the error codes they will give me.

14. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    By temperature gradients you mean differences between operating temperatures and ambient temperatures, correct? As I understand it, the HV battery does best at an operating temperature of about 35 to 40 degrees C. If ambient temperatures are below that, charging and discharging will warm it up to that range and the Battery Management System provides for this. If the fan is not working correctly or is clogged or the temperatures inside the car become too high, the BMS may not be able to keep the battery temperature in that range. The battery will start to degrade if is forced to operate at temperatures much higher than that, individual modules may expand and even explode if the temperature gets too high. At this point, I should mention that our car's middle HV battery sensor actually hit 54 degrees C climbing a mountain near Las Vegas last summer, and the car is still running fine with no error codes. I wouldn't think it would survive a temperature much higher than that, but as they say "Your Mileage May Vary". Low ambient temperatures should never be a problem as the battery will always heat up to the proper operating range.

"OP" stands for Original Poster.

amos, Starship16 and Robert Holt like this.
  15. davecook89t

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not sure where I got the information in the file attached, but it might help. Hopefully, it will have what you need, but if it doesn't contain a code they give you, you can always do a search on the internet. Also note that my file does not contain any information on sub codes, which I understand may be essential for digging down a little further into what's causing an error code. For proper diagnosis of a sub code you may want to access an online Toyota Repair Manual at https://techinfo.toyota.com, which will cost you $20 for 48 hours access, I believe.

Attached Files:

Luis Cifuentes likes this.
  16. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When mine started to die last year the car threw a P0A7F code. Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration.

Nine months later last month, it threw the dreaded P0A80 code, Replace Hybrid Battery Pack.

Without the codes you have no idea what you're dealing with.

17. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, I thought I read some specs that if any battery temp sensor hits 55 degrees Celsius, the HV system shuts down? There was also,a,shutdown temp for the engine coolant temperature, IIRC.

davecook89t likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't yah love acronyms. Probably it meant "Original Poster".

amos likes this.
  19. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The diagnostic threw the P0A80 code. "Murder" that's what's she wrote.
    I passed the weekend looking for a used battery, from any trashed 2015 Prius. That should be the newest compatible battery. After that I'm thinking to sell the car, it still holds some value with a functional hybrid battery. It was my mistake to buy such an old model. Before buying nobody mentioned this 8 yearsish life span for the battery.

#19 Andres V, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do a search, plenty of us said this before. I’m one That repeats this over and over that battery life 8-10 years.

jack black and Starship16 like this.