1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear floor mat issues

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jonb505, Jan 1, 2015.

1. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone else notice the rear floor mat never stays in place when people sit back there?
    Perhaps it's the height of the rear seats relative to the floor but I've noticed when sitting back there you end up naturally pushing the floor mat under the front seats, which then blocks the rear heater duct under the front seats.
    My previous car was a Honda Fit which had a locking retention system like the Prius v drivers floor mat for the passenger and rear floor mats as well. A very simple feature that would prevent the mat from moving around.
    Maybe I just got cheap mats included with my v? They are black rubber mats, I believe the oem all weather mats. I have the carpet oem mats too. Front ones say prius v on them. Rear one has the same look of the front ones but no "prius"embossed on it, just looks like a standard one piece mini van, truck rear mat.
    I've been thinking about getting weather tech or husky floor mat for the rear. I notice the weather tech have raised edges all around, do these block the heater duct on the floor?
    Another cheaper option I've been considering is picking up some 3m Velcro strips and seeing if I can make my existing mat stay in place better. Any ideas?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine move around in the rear as well. I've just accepted it until I trade the car so I haven't tried other options.

The Velcro sounds like it may stand a chance. If you've got some Velcro around, try a piece and see how well it grabs the carpet under the mats first. If it grabs pretty aggressively it may work, but I'd glue the Velcro to the bottom of the mat with gorilla glue or something quite strong as I doubt the standard adhesive will hold on all to well.

3. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm I think my rear mat is not oem, but a generic rear mat as I feared. Just noticed picture in this thread: For Sale - OEM All-Weather Floor Mats for Prius v | PriusChat
    Maybe those 2 piece rear mats would work better? Maybe no. I might even try putting the carpet mat back in see if it works better, it is noticeably stiffer than the generic rubber mat I have in there now. I'll give the Velcro idea a try first see if it will grip the carpet..

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've got the ones in that picture (the OEM ones) and mine still move around.

Mats need anchors to stay in place, whether it's driver, passenger, rear seats, they need anchors. Simple things car manufacturers, just give us the simple things... My Infiniti QX60 has anchors in the rear and they stay put, like mats should.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My Weathertechs stay in place. Never noticed any heater blockage.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US and Canadian all-weather mats are different in design. The one you linked to above is the U.S. version that look like a palm tree design. The Canadian versions have hexagonal in design with twin water channels surrounding the mat. It's design to trap snow and ice while the U.S. appear to be for mud and water.

I found that the rear mats do move around (I have mine on top of the carpet mats). I find it's just people who push to lift themselves up from the car. I tend to use the leg outside of the car to lift myself up rather than the leg inside the car which is what most people do. I've noticed that the rear rubber mats in all of my friends' cars are usually out of position or nearly under the front seats lol. Carpet mats have grippier undersides than the rubber ones for some reason (But they're spikier than the rubber mats and I forget that from time to time when I vacuum the mats)

Those are U.S. designs. Ours is different.

Yeah I was gonna say, only a handful of manufacturers have hooks in the rear. I think they're mostly luxury manufacturers (Lexus has anchors on the ES but not the IS)

7. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I took the lazy route and just placed an order for the weather tech digital fit rear floor mat, hoping it will stay in place like you say mikefocke. I intend to keep this car till its worn out which I'm guessing will be another 8-10 years so I figure $100 isn't a bad investment for that period of time.

In regards to my 2008 Honda Fit and it's anchored mats, I should note I had to actually purchase my mats separately, Honda did not include any floor mats with the car. So I suppose the fact that Toyota included 2 sets of mats(carpet and rubber) for free makes it not so bad. anyone need a nice set of lightly used oem mats? (y)

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Jonb: I just removed my rear and trunk Weathertechs today after hauling an Xmas tree to the dump. Since the tree had not had water for 3 weeks since it was cut (due to a leak in the stand), it shed needles and I needed to remove the mats to shake out the debris.

The rear mat hadn't moved. The front lip of the rear mat was about 1" from the heater vent and about half as high so room enough for heat to flow towards the passengers legs.

Only the drivers mat has a twist post attachment.

jonb505 likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Put it up in the For Sale forum with a picture. There are some members that may prefer the Canadian design (particularly those that deal with snow)