1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear foam cover removal?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ray bazil, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ray bazil

ray bazil New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife has just acquired a 2017 Prius 4. It has the air pump and FixAFlat stuff.stored in a foam panel. There appears to be be some available space for storage under the foam cover. But the cover is installed with fasteners that resist removal. How do you remove them and the cover without destroying it?

PriusOffroad likes this.
  2. mark27lim

mark27lim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    in mine there is a left half and a right half foam cover. one half overlaps the other, can't remember which one. also each half only has two fasteners the first is a black rectangular like handle nearer towards the seat back. the second is a white circular plastic coin size thing nearer the wheel well with a philips cross head that you need to unscrew first. after which you can go back to the rectangular one which just pops off if you pull straight up. that's it and you're done!

PriusOffroad and RCO like this.
  3. ray bazil

ray bazil New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tried to unscrew the white fasteners but they just spin and don't back out like a screw would. That's when I thought that maybe they were some other kind of fasteners. But, maybe tToyota just stripped them during manufacture. I just don't know and am afraid of damaging something.
    Thanks for your information.
    Ray

PriusOffroad likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #4 Prodigyplace, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  5. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Others have removed them intact.

I stripped them when pulling out by brute force. As a matter of principle and pride I wish I had not done that, but as a practical matter those little white fasteners will never be missed.

FWIW, I removed just the left most insert and filled the void with a bunch of stuff -- compressor, reflective road triangles, umbrellas, folding shovel, etc.

#5 ATHiker, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Priifan and RCO like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I just tugged the white fasteners off mine when I changed from the gunk to space saver spare wheel foams. It takes some effort, but I did manage to re-use them on my new spare wheel foam bits, so although they looked a little worse for wear when I pulled them off they still hold down. I couldn't re-use the front ones as they are not deep enough for the new foams, which are thicker.
    IMO the fasteners are not needed anyway the foam isn't going anywhere when it's in, it's held in place by the rear seat and the trunk floor panel.

RCO, Priifan and bisco like this.
  7. mark27lim

mark27lim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i actually didn't really get a chance to try unscrewing the phillips head white fasteners as i had accidentally popped the off already when i realized they were meant to be unscrewed. but nothing doing. when putting back the panel i just pop back the rectangular ones and leave the white ones as is. everything seems to go back to original place just fine and nothing loose or rattling.

RCO likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those white fasteners do unscrew, but it takes patience. Lots of turns. Large Phillips head didn't work worth a hoot and the large flathead didn't want to stay in the slot for more than a few turns at a time. Thankfully, they just push back into place. I just finished installing cargo lights in my wife's 2017 trim 2 to match the ones in my Prime.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like fasteners where you need to unscrew and pull up at the same time?

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does help to pull while unscrewing, which increases bonus points for degree of difficulty. Otherwise, pressing on the screwdriver pushes the fastener back down. I should have mentioned that. Thanks, Mendel.

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    [​IMG]

This is the style holding down the rear foam on my 2019. No amount of mere turning will make it screw up and out. It's more of a release, then a pull-up.

Worse comes to worse, these probably don't cost an arm and a leg to replace if you break them.

#11 Mambo Dave, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I removed that rear foam to put in a full sized spare - one of these days I'll take a picture of how I upfitted the rear area.

[​IMG]

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. Mine did unscrew, but as Mendel reminded me, I did have to lift at the same time. And it takes lots and lots of turns. I thought about just pulling but was concerned that I might break out the bottom of the hole it's in.

Is that the entire fastener in your picture. The 2017 I had apart looked like a two-piece affair. The white part you show and a yellow part. I should have snapped a picture.

14. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    That is the entire fastener that came up and out. There may be a yellow receiver still down in the hole. I don't know.

jerrymildred likes this.