1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear sway bar upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caravan2429, Nov 24, 2018.

1. caravan2429

caravan2429 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After searching for chassis upgrade for gen 2 Prius on Priuschat and some related forums, I just replaced stock rear sway bar with stock gen 1 Pontiac Vibe GT one, and found out huge difference with handling! I feel more stable and better cornering balance. No more wiggly swerve. Let's see the difference: solid and heavier bar compared to original lighter and hollow bar. Bolts in and out directly without mod. Just need tools to loose and install. Take 20 mins to do. The used part cost me $15 roughly. Budget upgrade!

Does anyone know more about Matrix/Vibe rear sway bar thickness and design?
    Is there difference between Corolla/Matrix/Vibe bars?
    Are Matrix XRS/Vibe GT bars larger than regular Matrix/Vibe?

The upper one is Vibe GT's. The below is Prius Base.
    [​IMG]

More comparison:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After installation on my car:

[​IMG]

velorun, SFO and tacopyro like this.
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i think the vibe rear bar is the same as corolla. unsure about the front bar, but if it is the same, go back to the junkyard and get the front bar too. the front bar is more difficult to replace, but it to will make a fantastic difference. also you may find the car wants to fishtail if you hit a corner too fast. the front bar will balance it out.

SFO likes this.
  3. HOWFAST

HOWFAST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice find. I ended up getting a rear sway bar off of a Touring model. I am currently waiting to pull the 03-08 Toyota Corolla front sway bar. 24mm over our little 20mm sway bar.

Gus//

4. caravan2429

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The stock Prius is well-known as "crazily-understeering", I am not sure if I just put on rear bar, it will correct too much understeering to be more neutral?
    After installing the bar, I feel the rear axle is kind of heavier, stable and sometimes agile when cornering at higher speed. No more tail shaking and soft feeling.
    If I also put on front bar, will it remain the property as "crazily-understeering"? As far as I know, if you put stiffer front far on, then you will get more understeering, right?

5. caravan2429

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the difference of sway bar between Base and Touring models? According to Toyota Parts eStore, I found out the part numbers are the same with both models? And even I take a look at Touring rear bar, I don't see much difference with Base model? I only know the struts are different.

6. HOWFAST

HOWFAST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no factual measurements from my self personally. I read it on here from the other post I was looking at.

Link: Cheap suspension upgrade: Front and rear sway bar? | PriusChat

Something was posted about the rear being 19mm on a base model and 20mm on a touring. 20mm front sway bar and the Touring having a 22mm. Seems the only factual info has been the Corolla front sway bar.

I can tell you the 16 inch tires from the Touring make a difference.

Gus//

7. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    handling is pretty predictable with both bars upgraded. slight understeer, whereas replacing just the rear seemed to my butt dyno to give it a little oversteer. it felt like the back end wanted to slide out if i cornered too fast.
    if the rear touring bar is hollow like the base bar is, its not gonna do much. the corolla rear bar is a forging and should definitely help.

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    duplicate post

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would say that just changing the rear anti-roll bar to the one from Corolla (European model but is there a difference?) just reduced understeer and did not make it oversteer by itself. This is on European model with 16” rims (so basically a Touring model). But is there really difference in front anti-roll bar?

With the upgraded anti-roll bar it’s just easier to make it oversteer by for example using lift off oversteer or some other driving “tricks” but it does not really want to oversteer by itself. I did test this by driving around ice race tracks. Stability control system seems to allow understeer without really doing anything but then limiting oversteer as almost soon as it’s induced.

#9 valde3, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the corolla front bar is definitely stiffer than the prius bar; I noticed a difference when I installed it. I don't know if the euro models have better bars than the NA version, but the oem rear bar is a joke. it seems to be made of very thin mild steel, almost like its a fake bar. so body roll is excessive at least on non touring. I installed the progress rear bar several months before I saw someone here had done the corolla front bar swap. most definitely installing just the rear bar caused a sensation of oversteer, the car felt like it would spin out if I pushed it too hard. installing the front corolla bar negated all of that; handling is very neutral now. definitely the best mod (except possibly a sound system upgrade) you can do to increase driving pleasure.

audiodave likes this.
  11. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I hear you on that original rear bar. About as cheap as you can get and still be functional. lol
    I swapped both bars with Corolla ones. Much more stable and firm.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So you had aftermarket rear anti roll bar with stock (non touring) front anti roll bar? No wonder that was oversteering. Those aftermarket rear anti roll bars do seem a lot thicker than Corolla rear anti roll bar.
    I just have Corolla rear anti roll bar and stock front anti roll bar. And that doesn’t make it oversteer too much. It just reduces some body roll and understeer.

13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    slap that corolla front on there too and you'll love it!

audiodave likes this.
  14. Dorien

Dorien New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was able to locate the front corolla bar, but does anyone have the part number for the rear bar? I plan on going this route soon

15. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Rear Corolla bar? That's all I used, Corolla front and rear.

16. Dorien

Dorien New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    understood, im just wondering if anyone has the part number so I can order the correct one

17. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    just get one from the junk yard. cheap, and very unlikely to be damaged.

Georgios likes this.
  18. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Corolla or matrix, 03-08. More years work I just definitely know those. Bought mine both off Ebay. About 100 for both shipped.

19. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  20. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model: