1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Sway Bar

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by wayside, Sep 14, 2008.

1. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh boo. I've been following your mod post, that's too bad :/

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    damn. that sucks so bad after all the work you've put into your cars. but wait! take the money from insurance and fix it yourself! you will have an easier time mocking up the turbo kit with the front off the car too.

SFO and gta_ like this.
  3. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So this megan racing 26 mm bar for 2008-2013 corollas....

Thmotorsports sells it also (and it is 98 dollars)...but they do not specify if it is hollow or solid.
    To be clear, hollow bars are very nearly as stiff as solid bars as the vast majority of the twisting of the bar occurs at the outer section of the bar and very little of the twisting occurs at the center of a solid bar...

and hollow bars are lighter...which is less important on a heavy sedan as compared to an open wheel race car...

My question is does this rear bar fit my Gen II? It is supposed to be for a 2008-13 corolla....

Just confirming before I buy it

Thanks!

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They sell a large front and rear sway bar. Both are hollow...

Email response from Megan Support back when I had a Prius still.

View attachment 142628

#444 Justdidit, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    mattbatson and SFO like this.
  5. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you for that....
    I think in your link it was the front sway bar? 28 mm?

They have a 26 mm rear bar (sorry too new to post a link)...and thmotorsports sells for less than 100 with free shipping...says it fits a 08-13 corolla.
    Will that work on our Gen II's?

megan racing part number MRS-TY-1710

thanks!

ps, and FYI I did call Thmotorsports and asked and the tech guy did not know

#445 mattbatson, Jan 16, 2018
  6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They will both work.

mattbatson likes this.
  7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The reason I never pulled the trigger was the 26mm rear MeganRacing hollow bar even though it was larger and lighter, is that it wasn’t rated to by any more rigid than the 24mm Solid progress bar. The 28mm hollow front would be a slight improvement over the solid front 24mm oem Corolla car most of us have used as an upgrade from the stock 22mm Prius one.

mattbatson and SFO like this.
  8. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, without knowing how thick the metal tubing is, it is impossible to compare it to a solid bar...

for me, I was mostly interested because of the price

now for some reason, the progress bars I'm seeing online are advertised as 22mm...?

is there a 24mm progress bar out there?

if wall thickness of the megan bar is around 0.15"...which is pretty common for most swaybars from what I'm seeing....then the 26 mm hollow bar will be equivalent to approx. a 22mm solid bar...

Which is what I was seeing online for progress bars.

But, if there is a 24 mm progress solid bar, then I will get that...as I want more bar if I can get it....even if it is another 40 bucks or so....

I will look around.

And thanks so much for all the info!

edit...
    found the 24mm rear bar on ebay for about 150...

think I'll do with that.

thanks again!

#448 mattbatson, Jan 16, 2018
    SFO and Justdidit like this.
  9. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    progress bar work good!

mattbatson likes this.
  10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    THMotorsports still has the best pricing for the 62.2150 24mm rear bar. However their description is wrong, they list it as a 22mm bar and the 62.2150 is a 24mm bar. Same one I originally installed.

Progress Technology AntiSway Bar PONTIAC VIBE

https://www.progressauto.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/61/sfID3/62/productID/581

Just have them verify the diameter before ordering unless it is drop-shipped directly from Progress.

mattbatson, gta_ and SFO like this.
  11. mattbatson

mattbatson Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

yes you are correct!

I saw that it was the same part number, yet they have it listed as a 22mm....

hence some of my confusion while shopping for a rear bar.

I am actually going to order from them in a few days...have to wait as I'm going to be out of town and don't want it delivered while I'm not home.
    I'll ask them to confirm diameter if they can

Thanks again for all of the help

I'm sure I'll be posting more on here as I take it autocrossing and to track days and continue to improve it....

I wanted to update my signature and to post a pic of the car in my avatar, but for some reason am having a difficult time figuring that out

SFO likes this.
  12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried this link already?

mattbatson | PriusChat

13. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Any comparisons between the 24MM TRD vs the 26MM megan racing hollow bar that is $40 cheaper?

14. DivideByZer0

DivideByZer0 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I installed a Progress rear sway bar about a week ago, and it is doing its own job well, maybe too well. The back end of the car seems much more "present", like I'm carrying the back of the car behind me. It feels a lot more stable going down curvy roads, and also on onramps/offramps. In regular street driving it feels a little more stable overall without any downside. Right now I'm on stock wheels and tires, and if i'm driving at say 75-80 on the freeway, the front end stability seems a little deficient, a little "muddy", and even though I can feel the rear end of the car, the front end has to compensate for it and I have to correct more while steering. On one hand that's good encouragement to watch my MPG, but I'm definitely going to put in a front sway bar to 'balance it out' as others have mentioned. Getting the Touring struts/springs installed should also help; things are definitely a little bit more bouncy than before.

By the way, 69shovlhed, you seem to be the board expert on front sway bar installation, based on my readings in the last couple weeks. There are a fair amount of techniques around for front sway bar installation, some of which seem more difficult/dangerous than others. Is there a certain guide that you know of (yours or anyone elses), that you would consider the best strategy for this project? Maybe this one: Front Sway bar Information | PriusChat

#454 DivideByZer0, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just put the TRD bar on. WOW! My Prius is no longer a wallowing pig in the corners!

16. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that one is ok. I don't remember which was the most thorough. its a 2 man job if you don't have a lift. but it's not too difficult really, but you should have good jack stands and a shop jack which you will want to put under the subframe. be real careful not to booger the subframe bolts or the holes in the body. if you cross-thread or strip the threads, you're toast.

17. DivideByZer0

DivideByZer0 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got the front sway bar put in a few weeks ago, still with the OEM 2005 springs. It definitely evened out some of the rear end's tendency to bounce/swing around slightly and the car felt a lot more stable going around corners and curves, but it still wasn't the best ride, especially going over any kind of dip or bump in the roadway, because the body would be bouncing around in a way that didn't help with controlling the car. It definitely wasn't dangerous or a downgrade or anything, but it was my one main gripe with it. Since my OEM springs had never been replaced, though, that might have had something to do with it.

I finally got around to put on the touring wheels, struts, and springs, and it feels great in comparison over bumps and around corners. (I had a 2005 Prius so I ended up swapping out the front springs and strut assemblies as well, since those were different parts after 06 or so and why not at this point) Overall this suspension upgrade project has been a huge improvement in handling and stability.

I ended up using the method I had linked above to swap out the front sway bar, although I couldn't figure out a good way to slide it out horizontally, so I had to angle the subframe down to take it out from under the car which might not have been the wisest approach although the bolts didn't seem particularly strained. Everything seems fine but it's definitely a beast of a job, however it's also definitely no snake oil in terms of the result.

#457 DivideByZer0, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    SFO likes this.
  18. Aztechmaster

Aztechmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just installed a 2008 Corolla front sway bar, and a 2006 Matrix rear sway bar. Took me about an hour on hoist (I am a professional) made for MUCH better handing up and down the hills here in S.D. Cost me 59 bucks.

69shovlhed and gta_ like this.