1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear wheel squeek

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hox, Feb 23, 2023.

1. hox

hox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello everyone,
    We have a fairly low mileage (~17K miles) 2020 Prius Prime. I use this car for my daily commute to work and we have taken one long road trip from Oregon to Colorado last year. I have noticed that when I make left turns, I can hear a noticeable chirp/squeek coming form the right (passenger side) rear wheel. The noise changes with speed. I first noticed the noise at work, where I use a parking garage and have to make 4-5 sweeping left turns to exit each evening. If I take some twisty backroads to work, I also can hear the noise if I roll my windows down at a turn in the road that requires a left turn.

I inspected the wheels and tires and there is no odd wear on the tires and the wheels are in good shape. Pads and rotors look almost new and I do not see any uneven wear on the pads, nor do I see any odd grooves in the rotor that would tell me the slider pins on the calipers were frozen.

There is no odd side to side or top/bottom play in the wheel when I put the car on a jackstand, so I am not sure it is a bad wheel bearing.

I have had my share of hitting potholes living in Portland, so I am wondering if I am at the beginning of a failed bearing or this wheel itself may be bent? Cannot see anything obvious and I would think I would have a vibration if a wheel was bent.

Got an Appt. with the dealership next week. I have not been impressed with service around here so I am looking to see if anyone else has had something similar happen and how they fixed it.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.