1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Window Defogger Fuse Location

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JR Hageman, Oct 26, 2013.

1. JR Hageman

JR Hageman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My rear window defogger has stopped working. The owners manual, page 316, has the 3 fuse box locations and it says there is a 40 amp fuse in location #2 in fuse box under dash (says there is a 30 amp in location #1 for power windows). When I popped the cover off the fuse box and looked - there are NO fuses greater that 25 amps anywhere. Windows work fine. in addition - none of the actual fuse numbers line up with what the manual says or with what the inside of the fuse box cover says. This is total frustration. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to Prius Chat.

It would really help if you gave some information as to what vehicle you are working on.

Best of luck to you.

3. JR Hageman

JR Hageman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Toyota Prius, Body 4D, HB, Package #3 (Smart Key and Driver/Passenger Side and Curtain Airbags) only info available on my paperwork from 8 years ago. Actual Purchase paper says only model = "Prius" (no number)
    I believe this is the 2nd Generation of Prius.
    Does this help or where on my car can I find any additional information to help with this?
    Thank You so much.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for updating your avatar and profile. That does help. If you add your location that will help other's in the future.

There should be two large fuses on the left hand side of the panel inside the cabin. The fuse you are looking for is a 40 Amp fuse and should be to the left. Look closely in the fuse panel. You should see two rows of fuses. One row will be almost full, the other will have several spaces. The fuse you are looking for will be to the left of the two rows and parallel with the row that has several spaces.

Unfortunately, I can't get under that dash due to my arthritis, so I can't verify actual location. On our '09 that panel is in a tight spot and not easy to reach. You may find that the layout will vary but go by the description I gave you concerning the spacing of the fuses and then it should make sense. Sometimes the drawings get flipped around in the manuals.

fuse panel.jpg

Feel free to correct me if my description is wrong. Like I said, I could not pull the cover to verify my statement above, but it should be there and fairly easy to spot. Look for two large fuses on one side or the other by them selves.

Hope this helps you.

Zedhomme likes this.
  5. Kayl2e

Kayl2e New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same problem. I did pull off the cover and there are no big fuses there :(

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, this is becoming very interesting. I am going to have to contact Toyota on this one. I do agree that the picture on the fuse panel is misleading. I did get the cover off today. I have a feeling that the problem fuse is either the pink or blue box that is on the side of the fuse panel which is directly behind the dash panel.

I did not pull the panel to verify that, but I do agree that the fuses for the defogger and the power windows are not under the cover of that fuse panel.

Odd why Toyota would label it the way they did. Thanks for pointing this out. Once I hear back from Toyota, I will let you guys know what I heard.

Hopefully someone else on the board will post on this who knows a little more about it than myself.

7. Kayl2e

Kayl2e New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I finally got some information that should be helpful. Please refer to this string which should clarify where the defrost and A/C fuses are (30 Amp & 40 Amp).

I did communicate with Toyota, but they were not much help. However a technician who post's here on PC did provide the correct information.

Please refer to the following.

Cannot find these two fuses | PriusChat

9. Kayl2e

Kayl2e New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much! I haven't had a chance to do this yet. I appreciate your help!

10. Palladin

Palladin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I am experiencing a similar problem with my 2010 Prius. The manual doesn't indicate if a fuse even exists for the rear window defogger much less its location. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!