1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendation for new suspension (keep springs or replace)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by thomassster, Mar 7, 2016.

1. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I'm at 160k miles and I'm still riding on the factory struts and springs. I do not feel much of a drop in height, but my ride has been feeling bumpy. I am planning to replace my struts this summer and a little undecided between the KYB Excel/GRE-2 versus OEM. I may elect to get Excels since rockauto seems to have them. That's one concern, but my biggest concern is whether to change my springs. As much as I like the look of a lowered car, I live in Denver and I need the car to be high enough over snow. If I wanted a smoother ride (similar to luxury car feel), would I be okay just replacing the struts and keeping the springs? Or should I purchase new springs, OEM or aftermarket?

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2008 touring shocks were stamped with KYB and Toyota logos and part numbers...so I'd say its a safe bet OEM = KYB. That being said, touring suspension was different than the base model Prius. What version of Prius do you have?

I wouldn't think your springs need as much of a change as your shocks do. Usually the bouncy feel comes from a shock not being able to handle the spring rate anymore.

Can't speak for lowering springs ride quality as my Ground Control kit has Eibach springs on Ground Control springs. I've lowered mine -2" and get around in Alberta just fine with 17" steelies with decent snow tires. Maybe someone with only springs can chime in.

3. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have the base model. If I can last with the original springs, that'll be the best, but I wouldn't mind spending $200 bucks on springs if it'll make my ride more enjoyable for the next 5 years. Sadly, it's been so long since OEM suspensions that I forgot what the original ride felt like. I probably wouldn't mind lowering an .5-1" on the springs if it made the ride feel better.

For KYB Excel vs OEM, I read reviews about minor differences about different sizing of nuts, plastic vs rubber boots which makes me think they will ride differently. I'll probably still get the Excel since they are substantially cheaper at rockauto, but if the ride is horribly bad, I may be convince to go OEM.

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Maybe someone who doesn't have a KYB Toyota stamped shock/strut will chime in. Been super happy with my Toyota/KYB stamped struts. Got over 140k out of them and probably could have got more had I not increased the spring rates. But after that many miles I just ordered new KYB fronts and Bilstein sports for the rear.

More order included:
    (1) KYB 333388 Front Gas Charged Strut
    (1) KYB 333389 Front Gas Charged Strut
    (2) KYB SM5215 Upper shock Mount
    (2) Bilstein B8 Sport Shock Absorber Item: 24-069250 (same larger shock size as the Prius Touring)

#4 Justdidit, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. KelleyLafitte

KelleyLafitte New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm interested in this as well. Just bought an '06 Base model and I'm looking into what I can do to improve it without destroying the value.

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Improve the suspension? Whats do you feel is wrong with it?

7. KelleyLafitte

KelleyLafitte New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing, really. I just don't think that anything comes perfect off of the lot so I was seeing if there was a common upgrade to it. After getting the sales pitch on the touring suspension I started wondering if the stock setup was sub-par.

8. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    hey justdidit, did you try out those KYB Excel-G yet? How did those feel?

9. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The new KYB fronts aren't on yet. Just got delivered this week and will go on probably this weekend. Keep in mind i'm running coil-over sleeves with 8.2kg springs up front and 6.7kg spring rate in rear AND lowered at least -2" and haven't blown the KYB struts yet BUT they are worn out after 4 years. None of the four are leaking but the So, I bought new KYB for front and Bilstein Sport for the rear. I've been running the KYB since I bought the car. Thats what came with the car. Mine are stamped with KYB and Toyota. Been happy but I think if your looking for a bit stiffer suspension as I am, I wish we had more options. I can't wait to see how this new KYB/Bilstein combo responds with the Coil-Over sleeves. With this and my other suspension mods, this car should really handle well!

10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are TONS of threads on suspension upgrades, as long as your are not using Tapa Talk or viewing on a mobile site, you can see all the upgrades I've done to my suspension in my signature links.

24mm 2006 Matrix Front Sway bar
    Polyurethane Bushings
    24mm Rear Progress bar
    Tanabe Sustec Front Under brace
    Front Strut Bar Brace
    Lowered on Ground Control Coil-Overs with Custom springs: 8.2kg (450lb/in) springs up front and 6.7kg (375b/in) spring rates in rear (TOURING spring rates Front=212 lbs/in, Rear=252 lbs/in and Normal BASE spring rates Front=212 lbs/in, Rear=265 lbs/in)
    KYB Excel fronts struts and Bilstein B8 Sport rear struts.

#10 Justdidit, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    UberPrius likes this.
  11. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just replaced my struts at 178000 miles, switched to coilovers and they are way better than the stock suspension. Along with the sway bar upgrades and the underbraces you will be golden.

12. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Do you have a link to the sway bar upgrade?

13. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. Pruis-er

Pruis-er Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm thinking of increasing the spring rates but I've read here that it's not necessary to change the existing springs if upgrading to a newer Bilstein shocks. Is that recommended or better to replace both shocks and springs?

15. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I increased my spring rates quite a bit on the OEM Tokico shocks before upgrading to the Bilstein B8 Sport shocks... but I also started with the touring shocks which are valved stiffer than base.

16. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What would we replace the bushings with? New OEM ones or ones from the donor car? Does adding a new Matrix bar cause issues with the bushing already on the car?

17. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the corolla/matrix bar is larger diameter, so you need to get the front frame mount bushings with the bar because the prius bushings won't fit the corolla bar. the brackets are the same, so you don't need to get those unless your oem brackets are rusted badly or somehow damaged.

18. Max Finch

Max Finch Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What about the rear?

19. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there are no bushings in the rear, except one rubber block that sort of slides onto the bar, but it won't fit the heavier bar and isn't really needed anyway. everyone that has installed the progress or trd rear bars has just thrown it away, since it doesn't fit.

Max Finch likes this.