1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations between Michelin premier or Defender tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by SolarTop, Sep 10, 2021.

1. SolarTop

SolarTop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Energy savers done and need another set of Michelins.

which would you guys go with? mpg not all that important as I am getting 38.7 mpg last few tanks. These old tires I bet are part of the problem.

I’m looking for a more comfortable ride and we don’t get that much rain here in SoCal.

I would want the better performing tire and am ok with 40k tread life. Leaning towards premier. What do you think?

sorry if wrong forum.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Premier A/S - Tire life will be exceptional as well FFABFF2F-9B15-4A58-8981-D6E5E156EACA.png

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A "four touring", that's 15" or 17" rims?

For readers 'round the world, "Socal" is Southern California, USA.

Addendum: think they're 15":

upload_2021-9-11_9-22-27.png

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I definitely found the tire life of my Premier A/S set to be "exceptional", but not in a good way—which, combined with their premium price, worked them out to be about 2.4 cents per mile in my experience.

I have been running on General Altimax RT43 since then, and I have liked their driving quality just as much as I liked the Premiers. I haven't checked in on their tread depth lately to project out their longevity, but given their substantially lower price up front, I think it will be hard for them not to come out lower in cost per mile.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Of the two mentioned in title, and assuming 15": I'd vote Defenders. They give up a little mpg, but not much, and are a durable/dependable choice methinks.

Think the latest iteration has suffix T+H, something like that? Too, they now say "Total Performance", instead of "Green-X", but is that anything but marketing dreck now??

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have premiers on our hycam, and energy savers on our prius. i'd rate them about the same. wear looks good after 30 or 40k, mpg's are good, both fairly quiet and smooth.

i can't speak to performance as i drive like a granny

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Michelin Premiers have 60k miles and should easily make 80k miles when I have 270k miles on the car. We drive fast but not stupid when braking or cornering. Still have the original brake pads and smooth rotors. Your results may vary.

If only the engine design was as good Toyota might not be looking over their shoulder at Tesla.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even with gen4 and what looks to be a better design, prius is pretty much toast in n/a. alt fuel users are more interested in bevs, the rest of the population could care less

9. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had Premiers on a Camry and currently have Defenders on the Prius. Premiers are a nicer tire, but I wouldn't hesitate to get Defenders again either.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    there are some tire shops that will give you 30 days to try a new set of tires and switch to another new different set for free if you feel like the first new set doesn’t meet your requirements/expectations.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I always wonder what happens to those reject tires; sold as near-new? Maybe as new, if nobody's looking?

12. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ChapmanF

what about the mpg's of the General Altimax RT43?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a thread about them over here where some other posters have talked MPG. It started with a lowball number in post 1 that got revised upward in post 4 after poster 1's wife read the original post. :) As far as I gather from the rest of that thread, nobody had anything bad to say about MPG with the Altimax.

If you look at a bunch of my own posts, you see that I really hardly ever post about what effect item X has on my MPG, and that's kind of the lasting damage from some coursework in experiment design I had years ago, which deeply impressed upon me how very much more control I would need over my real-world driving conditions if I wanted to sanely stand behind a result. Pretty much stops me from ever joining in the "I changed X last month, now my MPG is 4.7 better" kinds of discussions.

About as much as I really have the strength of data to say is "I sure haven't noticed any MPG problem with them."

3rd3rd and StarCaller like this.
  14. SolarTop

SolarTop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the input guys. Local prices are around $580 out the door mount and balanced. That’s a deal coming from my other cars with low profile 19 and 20”.

15. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i have two gen3 prii. one has Goodyear comfort-tread. the other has Goodyear weather-ready. these have been nice tires, better than the michelins IMO, which didn't last that long. the two Goodyear models were bought for better traction in wet driving, and may sacrifice 1-2 MPG, but the difference is hardly noticeable. the tread-base is wider. if you live in a non-snowy, non-rainy climate (i.e., socal), might want to go with a harder (higher life) rubber tire with a thinner tread base, as you might not need all that road grip. With that MPG you mentioned, I would be inclined to think something else is wrong though. I cannot see bad tires giving ~12-13 MPG difference, unless they are almost empty and or defective in some other way.

16. Zlakin

Zlakin New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Michelin Defender and Premier are great all-season tires, but they shine better when driving on wet roads. However, in my opinion, I recommend the Michelin Premier because of its outstanding speed and control. For example, the Michelin Premier LTX is more for comfort and driving in bad weather conditions such as rainstorms or light snow.

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Premier A/S now have 91k and still legal tread.

Toyota is now trying to catch up with Tesla in unibody and ev design.