1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for a 2-Bike Trunk Mount for 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by VicVicVic, Aug 14, 2017.

1. VicVicVic

VicVicVic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello. My significant other and I recently took up biking as a hobby, and we are planning to bike twice per month. We'd like to use our 2012 Prius to transport the bikes each time.

Initially, we were going to get a hitch mount, but it looks like professional installation, the purchase of a hitch, and the purchase of the mount itself will run at least $300 to $500. (If it can be done cheaper than this, please let me know because I prefer a hitch mount.)

We have spent nearly 3 hours looking at 2-bike trunk mounts. So far, we haven't found one we liked. Added to the complications is that websites do not seem to provide accurate information about which mounts will work for our vehicle. We are seeing such contradicting information on compatibility that we are a bit nervous about purchasing one that doesn't fit or work too well with the Prius.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. We don't mind paying a bit more for one that is of higher quality, and the biggest hassle for us seems to be that it'll take too long to put on and take off the mount. (We usually bike with friends and we don't want them waiting for us while we unstrap and such.)

Thank you!

2. m3pare

m3pare Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. sprdav33

sprdav33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a drawtite hitch and an Allen 2 bike Hitch Mount Bike Rack on Amazon for less than $200. It was just 4 bolts to install the hitch myself.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Jon Senum

Jon Senum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Saris Bones 3-Bike worked well for me (comes in 2 bike version as well) until I dove in for a hitch and a Kuat NV 2.0 rack. That combo is about the price you listed but works fabulously. FYI, I used to manage a $3mil/year bike shop for experience listed. Worked with a lot of racks. Some good, some horrible, others just gems.

5. Peleela

Peleela Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd like to know more about your experience with the Kuat NV 2.0 rack on the back of your 2015 Prius. I have the same model car, and I'd like to get a rack hitch because we have two 55lb electric bikes I want to travel with (I can't lift them, so I would use the Kuat ramp that's available). My concern is that the distance from the hitch to the furthest point out is 18" (not sure what that measurement is), and I'm wondering how often you end up dragging it when going over driveways. I've seen that the Thule T2 Pro XTR is only 12" in that same measurement, but I like some of the features of the Kuat over the Thule.

And if anyone has any experience with the Thule T2 Pro XTR (or other Thule), I'd love to hear how it's been working for you.