1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended 100k Mile Maintenance ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Michael Wood, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm looking for recommendations from some of you Prius gurus......not dealership recommendations. On a 2015 gen3 with 100k miles, what would you do for maintenance?

I've changed the oil and filter every 5000k since new, and kept the air filter clean and tires at proper PSI. I just replaced the 12v battery which died almost 4 years EXACTLY from my date of purchase. But other than that, I haven't done anything else.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with the maintenance schedule that came with the car, then add tranny fluid change

Michael Wood and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second the transaxle fluid change. I'd really recommend to do it about 90K back, but no time like the present.

Some more:

1. Do a full brake inspection. Long overdue.

2. A brake fluid change would be a good idea too.

3. Throttle body cleaning.

And then, depending on how long you intend to keep the car, and how deep you want to get into it:

4. Exhaust gas recirculation system inspection/clean. Start with the pipe, easiest, get some idea of the rest.

5. Intake manifold inspection/clean.

6.. Oil Catch Can install on the Positive Crankcase Ventilation circuit.

Watch @NutzAboutBolts videos, pinned at top of 3rd gen maintenance forum, lots of insights and tips.

A couple of threads to read:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

4. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the detail. I haven't been able to log in for a while, but I appreciate the info. I'll get this done.

I am a semi-sorta-competent backyard mechanic. I've never had a problem doing brake pads or fluid changes on my other vehicles. I'm wondering if I'd be able to handle the front pads on my prius. My strategy has always been to change the pads early, and leave the rotors alone - that's saved me a lot of money and aggravation over the years, but I don't know if this strategy would work on the Prius.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pads aren't difficult, but there are some precautions on a prius that other vehicles don't have.

such as, the brakes are electric, so if you don't disconnect the 12v, and open the drivers door, the pistons will shoot out, and then you'll be changing the brake fluid too.

best to watch a how to video if you can find one.

otoh, prius pads can last a long time, so measure the thickness, don't just change them for no reason.

Merkey likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it will be interesting to see how clogged your egr is. you have the upgraded pistons and rings, and we don't see many 15's with 100k already.

RMB likes this.
  7. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 14 has 95000 so I’m right behind them. Mine only has the newer rings right? Or is it the pistons?

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rings, correct. time to take a peek inside :)

RMB likes this.
  9. sorrywereclosed

sorrywereclosed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    right behind you at almost 90,000

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your model year being 2014, I believe just the revised pistons. I compiled this list querying replacement pistons and rings (for various years) at McGeorge Toyota Parts:

upload_2019-10-25_7-38-55.png

One thing puzzles me though: why McGeorge would not suggest the updated parts, regardless of year.

The technical service bulletin relating to excess oil consumption (attached) instructs to tear down the engine and replace the pistons and rings with the revised (2015 model year) parts. The implication there is that these pistons and rings are better, less prone to causing oil consumption down the road.

But it's not stated. I would think if you did the engine tear down and replaced piston and rings with the old numbers, it would also likely stop oil consumption, likely for the practical life time of the car.

Which leaves the question: are the new pistons and rings that much better? Maybe, but who knows. It'd be interesting to see side-by-side comparison pictures of them, measurements, any variations. Maybe the new rings spring out more? The piston oil draining channels are larger or more?

I started a thread with a poll: what year do you have and how's your oil consumption:

3rd gen model year and oil consumption | PriusChat

So far the preponderance of votes have been early years, no 2014, and two 2015's. Not enough of a sample to draw any conclusions I think. Feel free to vote btw, get a 2014 in the poll. (y)

Greenteapri likes this.
  11. TB1026

TB1026 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just bought a 2014 with 88k

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in