1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red bullet VVTI seloniod

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Max Taiwan, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    West coast Vancouver at least has very mild winters, compared to anywhere else across the country. The east coast has more severe winters as well.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I did report to keep an eye. It is interesting he thinks he may be close to both Vancouver & Toronto They are many miles apart. (or was it Vancouver & Virginia?)
    He appears geography challenged too? :D

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I started in east end of Toronto & then many years in Scarborough near the southern end of Highway 48 (Markham Rd.).

5. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not the person who is making it. I was just fortunate to come across the item on my travels to different parts of the world. As this item is new to me i thought I'll put it in the modification and where relevant for discussions and for trying to do it properly I had also assigned it in the sales section so not to sell it on the discussion area although, through much discussion it seems some members in this discussion are from the same country and even in the same city. Which make it very easy for them to access the item due to the ease of transaction. I apologize that some form of purchasing has leaked into this discussion area of strict discussion but it was a relevant place since people responding are from nearby geographical areas.
    If moderators believe it was inappropriate to mention etransfer here I apologise and will accept the consequence.
    In regards to the item. If you are intersted please feel free to contact me and bear with me to take videos of the item for comparison with the OEM which I will upload here.
    In regards to oscilloscopes and data logging I'll try to do it with my torque obd2 or maybe send it out for 3rd party testing.
    Or i can just make the videos and you can decide for yourself.
    I'm sold on the product being designed to do what it says will do. Like I experienced more acceleration and better fuel millage on the fuel economy brags.
    Regarding the P value was just a tease since my PhD is in translational medicine and we are doing biostatistics lately so i am going to run the video test as much and many times as i can and being fair on the results by giving them a equal chance.
    But sure i can run those 3rd party test also making the product in the end "unaffordable" for everyone to share the cost of getting that done.
    I had a look on eBay and it seems the OEM seloniod costs more then $150. If I am mistaken please feel free to correct me if a OEM is cheaper.
    I have asked the manufacture to give out more samples to a few guys here because of the nature of the discussing but they said it has limited warrenty on manufacturing defects only, which they will gladly replace if you get a defect one but for guarantee in property damage is only valid here in Taiwan.
    Thank everyone for the input and I will keep working hard to bring this item to you guys to the best of my abilities.

#25 Max Taiwan, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    CSuirp likes this.
  6. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    CSuirp likes this.
  7. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I have two sets of videos that I was able to record. where should I post them?
    They are roughly 15 mgb each.
    56km cut to 100km cut from the video
    OEM time : 9.59sec, 9.96sec
    Red bullet time: 9.37sec, 8.33sec
    overall a 10% increase of acceleration performance.
    I would need to find a good stretch of road to do it with a constant start speed or at least get a longer paddle to the metal time for me to get a more distributed data.
    Right now I am using the same highway merge ramp. The lowest speed I can do when I get there is 50km and above for the rear traffic not to hit me. The ramp does have a up gradient also which will influence the results. But from the two runs it looks promising.
    I have felt good performance from the get go, but proving it takes real numbers and video evidence.
    The video definitely picked up engine sound of more output for sure. Just have to figure out where I can up load these four files.
    I will keep you guys posted!

#27 Max Taiwan, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    CSuirp likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Open a YouTube account, post them there, then you can link them here.

Max Taiwan likes this.
  9. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Run 1 stock:

Run 2 stock:

Run 1 Red bullet:

Run 2 Red bullet:

I climb a long ramp to get home everyday and it does do it so much easier with the new upgrade.
    within the attached is the highway ramp I use to do the test. ramp.png

CSuirp likes this.
  10. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I was driving as if it wasn't a hybrid no more today. The weather was nice and I had my windows down. Heading towards my lab on a Sunday thought I'll enjoy the drive since there is not much traffic.
    In the past the car always had better millage running in city speed limit. And not using the ICE too much over the EV bar.
    Now it drives like a regular car with a smooth increase acceleration despite holding the throttle like before in the same position.
    I was able to hit 30km/l without nursing the throttle. That was not possible before with the stock seloniod on this regular route I take since i got the car a month ago. 20190414_121936.jpg

CSuirp likes this.
  11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Has the weather changed at all? I've found that 10 degrees F variance can make a huge difference in cruise MPGs.

CSuirp likes this.
  12. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Interestingly the AC pulls roughly 4 amps when its running in normal mode which adds up to a good amount if you factor it in the grand scheme of things.

I'm getting around 800km to a tank of gas which I'm happy about, i know i still have 3l in the tank but don't want to see that meter flashing non-stop.

Car runs nice and full of pull when I need it. I'm suffering a little on MPG due to I'm pushing it more often nowdays because now it does make a difference with the new red bullet.
    Before i tend to not use more then 1/2 throttle because its not gonna make a big difference if i did step on it so why waste gas. I tend to not bother to overtake because I had to rely on the other driver to not speed up so that I can have a smooth overtake and not ruin my efficiency for nothing.
    But now; I have the power to overtake, do I use it or not, hmmmm.

I will be doing a long road trip this weekend going to shoot a IPSC match down south. Will update you guys the constant highway performance.

CSuirp likes this.
  13. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    hi Max. First I want to say thank you for all your posts, videos, and keeping us up-to-date on your experiences with the new solenoid. It really is helpful, along with everyone else's comments and feedback.
    My powertrain warranty will be ending soon as I hit the 60k mark, so I'm thinking of possibly installing the solenoid when the warranty expires. The only thing that is holding me back from purchasing/installing this is the risk of damaging the engine in some way. I did read the posts that damaging it can really only happen if the part is defective and metal shavings get into the engine/oil. Other than that a defective bullet would only cause non-efficiency. Putting back the OEM will fix it again.
    Here are my questions in this post:
    1) I noticed the link above where you referenced Toyota's price on the OEM part being at $86.11. In light of that, what's the current price for the red bullet?
    2) How long have you been using it?
    3) Have there been many others in PriusChat who've been using it for a while with good results and no serious engine issues?

I'm just cautious that's all. Thanks everyone!

14. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Suirp,
    Great too hear from you and knowing your getting good results.
    I'm talking with Danny to see what will be the best way to bring it to members of this forum. Price is still not set but I'm trying to work it out with Danny and the manufacture. As this is such a new product for people out of Taiwan it will take a while for it to build reputation. It took decade for our electronic product to be in the hands of everyone in the world; Asus, Acer, HTC... this product will find its way sooner or later.
    I have been using it for only weeks but others have been using it since 2016 here in Taiwan and I've not heard about any problems yet. The item is a really simple design, not reinventing the wheel or anything out of the box. It is just improving on the materials and the electronics of the existing functioning part.
    As this item is new for outside Taiwan I don't think anyone here has tried it yet, but I could be wrong That is a reason I'm working so hard to make it happen.
    Today is my birthday also so I'm going to be a little busy with family and friends from all the time zones. I'll swing by the post office for EMS quotes and update the members who are intersted.

I appreciate your encouragement Suirp and look forward to seeing one of these red bullet with you soon, if you have further questions please feel free to ask me here on the forum.

CSuirp likes this.
  15. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Max for the info! I have a better idea now where the product is at in terms of use and getting over here in the states someday. Glad it's working out over there for Prius owners. Hopefully it will have the same success over here. Having said that, I wonder if the design of the Prius in Taiwan is much different than the build we get in the states (East Coast for me). I know cars are made differently for Europe and I would image that might be the case for cars build outside the US. I would imagine it wouldn't matter much even if there are different car builds for different locations, but it's something that should be confirmed somewhere along the line prior to globalizing it.
    Happy Birthday to ya Max...enjoy with family and friends!! (y)(y)(y)

Max Taiwan likes this.
  16. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for the wishes Suirp,
    I'll look into it regarding the engine format. As far as I know we get ours from Japan by direct import. So we all have Japanese models that were meant for the Japanese market. I have the 1.5l engine output is just under 100 horses combined with the electric motor. From my research they built different trim and body style and improved on a few suspension and handling items along the way but the engine(1NZ-FXE I4 VVT-i) is throughout the line the same internationally regardless of left or right hand drive. I might be wrong about this, if so please let me know.

CSuirp likes this.
  17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have nothing to say................

Max Taiwan likes this.
  18. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's good to know then! Yeah...if anyone out there in PriusChat land knows for sure that the engines are the same across the board globally for these cars, please share. In the meantime, i'll see if I can research that as well. (y)

19. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    EMS is $40 dollars and air parcel is $9 wich arrives in 2 weeks.

20. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Guys so I was told that the seloniod does have two different part numbers for the Prius C. Apparently there is a number to check to see if your engine is compatible. If your OEM selenoid serial number is 15330-2140 then you are good. I'm getting data from them regards to dyno runs which will save me time and dangerous driving and they also received praise from a 60000 km per year Taxi using the part for two years consecutively. Meaning 120000km run with the seloniod. I am excited and hope you guys are too! That is as much as I could do on my birthday.

CSuirp likes this.