1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle, MIL, VSC, (!) with codes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jason Antman, May 3, 2017.

1. Jason Antman

Jason Antman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving my 2005 Prius (248k) to a friend's house yesterday, on the highway on one of the first really warm days this year. About 4 miles from their house, driving at highway speed, I got the dreaded red triangle along with the check engine (MIL), (!) and VSC lights, and that awful red (hybrid issue?) indicator in the top left of the nav screen.

I managed to get where I was going, shut the car off, and did some searching on here. The gas cap seems fine, and I found the whole pile of threads with similar symptoms talking about the inverter coolant pump. I went back out and started the car to check it, but the battery monitor was showing one bar (I hadn't reached the comments about putting the car in ign-on/2 presses mode) and the motor was just running endlessly, so I couldn't tell if there was turbulence in the coolant reservoir.

I let the car cool down for about 2 hours (though the outside temperature was 80+F), but the lights were exactly the same when I started it back up. With no other real choice, I made the ~20 mile drive home as carefully as I could. I assume the car was in some "limp home" mode, as I couldn't get above 40MPH and it seemed as though the throttle was limited very low and barely responsive. The status/power screen was also going crazy, swapping between showing current flowing between all areas (motor, battery and wheels) and none at all. The hybrid fan (rear passenger seat) was also on, I believe the entire 1 hour drive. I made it home alive. Yes, I'm aware this probably wasn't the best call, but... extenuating circumstances.

As of this morning, it's exactly the same. Sat overnight, I checked it this morning when it was cold, all the lights are just the same. I'm home, so I won't be driving it until this is resolved.

I've figured out a bit of additional information though:

1. The battery is back up to 6-7 bars (even after sitting overnight). This morning I put the car into ready (2 presses, no brake) and opened the hood, but couldn't hear anything or see any movement in the coolant tank. I turned it on and let it run for a few minutes and then shut it off, still no movement or turbulence in the tank (at all - perfectly still), but I could hear a not-very-good sound coming from the driver's side of the engine compartment... I thought it sounded like a bad pump, but can't be totally sure.
    2. I have an old ELM327 OBD-II interface that I dragged out from a box. I have custom software for it, nothing fancy, that I haven't used in years, and I can't be 100% sure of the accuracy (someone else wrote it). It showed no current DTCs, but mode 7 (pending) responded with P0522, C048 and P11540. I believe the last one is an error in the software, not an actual DTC. The response from the ELM was:

Code:
    47 02 0A 80 30 16
    47 00
    47 00

I'm pretty sure the P11540 came from the software not knowing how to interpret a multi-line response.

If what I've found online is right, those are "Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Low Voltage" and "Brake Booster Travel Sensor". Nothing about coolant, though perhaps my software isn't pulling what it needs to be.

I will say that the car has been having intermittent low oil issues for the past few months... I'm moving next month and was really hoping to replace it after that, so I've been keeping it running but not putting in any money that I don't have to.

So... given that the lights are still on even when it's cool, does anyone think this is the coolant pump, or something else? Or perhaps I've fried... something important? I'm pretty strapped for cash and have no other mode of transportation, so any thoughts on next steps? Should I limp it to a mechanic and get a real code reader on it?

FWIW, I have a very poor relationship with my local toyo dealer. They've been trying to upsell me to ridiculous extents the few times I've gone there, wanted $750 to replace the 12v battery (which I did myself 2 months ago), wanted $1100 to do front bearings, and the last time I brought it there wanted to do $2,500 in maintenance that the car didn't need. I've never let them do anything, and have had all of the work done by a competent local independent mechanic who's a good friend.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

20170502_152304.jpg

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a hybrid battery failure

SM-N900P ?

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. Jason Antman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks... that's essentially what I've been dreading... and leaves me a month after a divorce with no money and no car. Would a better code reader be able to verify this? How certain is it?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes a better code reader can verify. But ALL your symptoms point to a failed battery.

You can do a simple module swap and that'll buy you a little time, many videos on YouTube

SM-N900P ?

5. Jason Antman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, thank you so much. I'll give my mechanic a call and see if his fancy new tablet-based code readers can handle the proprietary Toyota stuff, and if so, get the car over there and see what the verdict is.

I guess it's time to give some thought to what to do about it...

6. Jason Antman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, spot on. P3000 (HV Battery Malfunction/Battery Control System Malfunction), P3016 (Battery Block 6 Becomes Weak), P0A80 (Replace Hybrid Battery Pack).

Thanks for lessening the shock of the bad news.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are stuck for money buy have time, you may be able to swap in a module in block 6.
    This would give you time to save up a bit more money for a pack.

Be happy to talk through options with you. Provide some encouragement.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Jason Antman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe I missed your reply until now. Money is tight but I could probably swing a replacement if I have to. My bigger issue is that I'm the second owner of a 250k car, and I'm moving at the end of the month and should cut my commute in half at least... so pretty soon I'm going to be putting a lot more in the car in maintenance than it's saving me, or than it's worth...

I guess I'll do some reading on swapping a module. I have some time, and I'd say I'm relatively good with electrical work.

9. Jason Antman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I should ask what's probably my most pressing question at the moment, right off the bat: how much time is involved? At the moment I'm without a working vehicle, so I've been borrowing a friend's car when I can (luckily I work from home most of the time), and will probably have to start renting one when I can.

I've heard some positive things about the HV Hybrid Parts modules, and there's one on Amazon for $40.

How important is balancing the modules, as opposed to... well... just popping a replacement in?

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll send you a set of two modules for $90 including shipping.
    And help you via phone to boot.
    Not some random dude on Amazon.

Give me a call and we can talk through options. You are in a place that many of my customers have found themselves.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. Jason Antman

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll give you a call tomorrow, thanks! I'm actually trying to pull myself away from here - I'm on page 20 of the Individual Battery Module Replacement thread right now.

I certainly would prefer to buy from someone who knows what they're talking about, but for what it's worth, those are being fulfilled by Amazon and I've rarely come by a company with a better return policy...

I'm also looking at chargers, but I'm only up to 2014 in that thread and it seems like most of the recommended models (the HiTec X4 and the Thunder T6) are now discontinued...

Madison, WI, home of pink flamingos and the other statue of liberty. I have a friend who used to live out there, a while back...