1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle of Death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nickkliesen, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Nickkliesen

Nickkliesen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No when I had the battery out the wiring harness was corrosion free so it was not replaces there was minor corrosion on the neg terminals of the battery packs. but it was cleaned I am leaning more to the inverter coolant pump because I do not remember the resivior being full and when it runs there is a smell of hot coolant so I am thinking the hose is not on correctly or there is air in the system

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is this based your experience solely in the WA area? In the south-east US area of SC, GA and Fl I have yet to see a battery core where it's failure could be traced to corrosion issues on a harness, bus bar or fastener.

Are you finding that the modules themselves are still in excellent condition and the battery can be returned to full service after corrosion repair?

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No the inverter coolant pump doesn't cool the battery. It has nothing to do with the battery temperature or the speed of the battery cooling fan.

The most likely scenario is that your traction battery was faulty. That a module locally overheated and failed with a bang. That your battery (probably already hot before the bang) then completely overheated causing full fan speed.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So you've probably got other problems as well as the traction battery. But the inverter coolant didn't cause the battery to go bang and overheat.

5. Pacific Northwest Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yah, that's not good. I know a few tricks to bleed the system if you need help. IM me or hit me up on fixmyhybrid at G mail

6. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks To jerrymildred I now know that the codes for my car a P3000 and a P3022 I do not now if this information is helpful of not I am going to try to work on the car again later see if I cant figure out why block 12 is weak I think that is somewhere around the cell that I replaced but I am not certian.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    which end do I start counting from to find out which block is block 12

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nick, it was great to meet you today. Someone posted a picture showing the block numbers in this thread. It's post #7. Battery Module/Block Identification | PriusChat
    But I would definitely try a grid charge before replacing that module because the voltages looked very similar from one to the other and the resistances were all identical. (Unless you saw something different in the picture you took of the screen, since the voltages were all slowly dropping, which made a precise comparison hard to do.)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Jerry thank your pointing me at that picture, but I am wondering if a big problem on block 1 could be causing a problem on block 12. I am guessing that this was the cause of the bang. the guy that helped me put it back together and in the car did not have the screws on one side when he put back together. got some more cells on the way IMG_0743.JPG

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like that module on the end exploded.

11. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah it did but Jerry had me hooked up to techstream today and it said block 12 was getting weak and the fan was blowing on high. these cells are on block 1 not 12 so I was wondering if block 1 could effect block 12

12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good deed for the day done(y).

With all you have going on, still finding time to help those in the Tampa area.

@Nickkliesen sounds like he has a good direction now (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting!!! It sure looks nasty. Odd that it showed OK on techstream. If it hasn't failed yet, it sure looks like it will very soon. I PMed you Todd's info in reply to your query. I'm sure he'll have something helpful to say when you call him tomorrow. Keep us posted.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was an excuse to get the PiP out on the 70 mph highway for the first time without a 25 mph cross wind. Looks like it was averageing about 50 mpg on the Suncoast. Pretty happy with that and having some quality time with my lovely bride of 42 years while I was at it. All in all, well worth it. :D

Once my son gets the transplant and recovers, I think we'll take a nice long road trip. Thinking Colorado at least. But that's a few months away. Mostly now, we're waiting and helping where we can. Probably taking #1 grandson to baseball practice again tomorrow after work.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #1 by birth or are you admitting to favoritism :p.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By adoption order and age, actually. I like 'em both, but I spend more time with #1 since the 18 month old is still getting used to grandpa. He's all over his grandma, though. LOL! He'll come around. I'm like the Pied Piper. In a good way. :LOL:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's any help the melted modules in Nick's picture are from Block 14, not Block 1. You should replace both of those modules because the terminal seals have been compromised.

If the car is setting a block 12 code you can bet there's an issue in that one as well.

I can't stress enough how important it is to torque all of the terminal nuts down when you put these batteries back together. Double and triple check every one and don't trust that your buddy did it. I've seen this same mistake before and it always happens when two people are working together to assemble a pack.

Your ECU is probably fine. The only common problem with the computer modules is corrosion buildup in the orange plug that connects to the voltage sensing lines on the front side of the pack. If you take it back apart you can take a look at that connector and make sure everything is clean. That's about it though.

Matt

jerrymildred and edthefox5 like this.
  18. Nickkliesen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    when I test all of the other cells the all read great they are all with in the range of 7.8 to 7.9 even the two that are melted. I have new cells on the way to replace them. I saw another post that said starting from the ecu is block 1 going to the other end that is block 14 either way I am replacing the melted ones. and will go from there. There no corrosion left I cleaned everything when it was apart

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nick, I can't guarantee that that picture was accurate. No one in that thread disputed it, but that's not a guarantee. I'm sure Todd can tell you when you call him later. If the picture is wrong, I may look it up again and make a comment to that effect, even if it is an old thread.

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, that post is wrong. On the Gen II, the end near the ECU is block 14 and the opposite end is block 1.