1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Registering TPMS IDs

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigFan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t think anything has changed since I wrote post #91: the European edition of the Repair Manual describes the switching function, and the U.S. version does not. In general, differences like that are significant; the rest of the TPMS information, for example, is word-for-word identical.

Jeppefinn, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    This is what it's like here 20-30 days of the winter. The top one is at 5 PM. Not much light here.

#142 Jeppefinn, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  3. barenstam

barenstam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    So did anyone come up with a solution to resetting the TPMS warning light in a North American gen 4 Prius? I have a 2019 XLE with original wheels, original TPMS and snow tires. One day, weeks after the snow tires were installed the TPMS warning light came on. I figured it was just the cold weather caused the tire pressure to drop. I added air and the light was still on. I tried a 2nd gauge to verify the correct pressure and still have the light. I tried increasing to 37 psi and still have the warning light. I've gone into setting, chose TPMS maintenance. It says press and hold button and videos by other show initialization complete after 3-4 second. That doesn't work on my car.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So no extra rims; the snows are on the stock rims, with the sensors?

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is your TPMS light stay on solid after a short blink when you start your car? If so, your TPMS sensor may be damaged and not functioning correctly (i.e. ECU cannot read the signal). This is usually what happens when the battery in the sensor dies, but your car is only 3 years old, so it is more likely that the sensor is not working. This can happen often if you are switching winter tires on and off from the rim.

upload_2022-3-11_19-42-50.png
    upload_2022-3-11_19-35-5.png

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If Gen4 is like Gen2, if you take away a wheel/TPMS, the car still holds the old value (let's say 40 psig) until you drive at least 20-30 minutes. That is how much time it takes the system to figure out that a stale reading is not getting updated. You can do really short trips for weeks and the light will stay off.

So I am guessing you are not getting the TPMS reading from the snows, and a week was how long it took for your car to realize that. Also if the TPMS wheels you removed are in the garage. possible that the car can "see" those tires and registers a good pressure. Not sure if you reset the codes.

#146 wjtracy, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.