1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Remote start, 2017 Prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusRoadWarrior, Apr 15, 2017.

1. PriusRoadWarrior

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found out from Toyota that there is at present no remote start for the 2017 Prius as they have encrypted the key since the 2016 year Prius. Checked at 3 different places including a Toyota dealer. Had one on my last 2 Priuses and would like one on my 2017. What gives?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Technological progress, especially in software-defined radio, has made a wide range of attacks on anti-theft and immobilizer systems increasingly practical. (See the articles linked in my previous posting.) Reverse engineering and prototyping of radio-frequency devices, at levels of sophistication that once demanded the resources of an industrial or university research lab, can now be done by casual hobbyists, some having criminal intentions.

Like all automakers, Toyota faces pressure from customers, insurers, and regulators to mitigate these attacks. They may have determined that the cost of continuing to support a remote starting feature, after making security improvements, was not justified by the number of Prius sales that would be gained. A remote starter was offered as a Genuine Toyota Accessory in previous model years, so Toyota probably has a good idea of how many buyers are interested in this feature.

It’s interesting that a Remote Engine Starter is listed in the December 2015 edition of Toyota’s MY16 Prius Accessory eBrochure, but not in the June 2016 edition of the same brochure.

RCO likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Woman in Manchester UK had her Mercedes hacked by thieves on her door step with a laptop. They interpreted the keys and the car and va, va voom!

4. toyoduz

toyoduz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    START+ is available as a dealer installed option in Canada.

MDNHW11 likes this.