1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace 17-inch wheels?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by GeoST, Jan 13, 2017.

1. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I love my new Prius v Five! However, I'm on the fence about the 17" alloy rims. They look really pretty, that's for sure. But unless it's my imagination, the ride isn't as cushy as I dreamed it would be. I know the shocks are new and may feel stiffer than those on my '08 Prius sedan, but I'm also wondering how big a factor the larger rims and thinner tires are. Would it be completely crazy to downgrade to 16" rims and more comfortable tires? The dealer told me four new OEM 16" rims would come to $1800 - ouch, can't do that. Surely there's a v owner out there who'd prefer the 17s and will make a mutually beneficial deal. What's the best way to go about this? And which 16" tires are right for a mature lady who likes retrievers, long walks in the moonlight, and a super-smooth ride?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tire Rack

Tire & Wheel Packages
    [​IMG]
    Availability: In Stock

J10
    Enkei Performance
    • 16x7
    • Finish: Black w/Mach Lip
    Qty
    Price Each
    Item(s) Total
    For 2017 Toyota Prius v Three
    $116.00
    $464.00
    TPMS Kit (Per Wheel)
    $56.00
    $224.00
    Optional Black Valve Sleeve and Cap (Requires TPMS Sensors)
    $2.99
    $11.96
    Included Hardware
    No wheel installation hardware is included with this wheel.

Important Notes New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

[​IMG]

Availability: In Stock

How soon can I get this?

Bridgestone
    Ecopia EP422 Plus (H- or V-Speed Rated)

• P205/60R16
    • Mazda
    • Sidewall Style: Blackwall
    • Serv. Desc: 91H 1356lbs (615kg) per tire
      Speed Rating “H”= 130mph (210kph)">
    Qty
    Price Each
    Item(s) Total
    For 2017 Toyota Prius v Three
    $63.25 Special
    $253.00
    Free Road Hazard Protection ($24.00 value. Exclusions apply.)

Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing included free of charge with your Tire & Wheel Package.
    Sub-Total:
    $952.96

RCO likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your right that the 17s are stiffening the ride. But changing the size will also affect the speedometer some. You could probably find some used v wheels and put your existing pressure senders in them. Costco or Sams Club usually have good total tire prices short of buying online. By the way, I would test drive a 16" v to be sure the improvement is worth the money. The v is decent on smooth roads and the highway but will never be mistaken for a Lexus in the ride department, particularly on rough roads. As for brand, I like Michelins for ride and their ability to stay in balance.

4. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 17" tires will need replacement this summer. I'm not happy with the harsh ride but have no intention of switching in 16" wheels.
    I will research on-line which tires are quiet and less harsh riding. I may even switch from low rolling resistance tires and not worry about a couple of $ of fuel savings. Also, I'll keep the tire pressure at factory specs.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Changing from one OEM alloy to another, brand new through the dealership, is guaranteed to be an expensive project. I would just stick with what you've got, stay close to spec on tire pressures, try to get used to it: going to 16" won't be a night-and-day difference I'm sure.

We alternate (on a regular 2010 Prius) between OEM 215/45R17 and 195/65R15 snow tires. The OEM are definitely firmer and less give, but ok, especially staying close to spec pressure.

6. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    At 17000 miles I purchased a set of 16" wheels and tires w/tpms for our "v"-5 that were OEM "v"-3 takeoffs..
    Wanted a higher profile tire for a potentially softer ride...They were advertised as having 5000 miles..?
    Not certain they provide a softer ride but I feel more comfortable with the higher profile sidewalls....
    They were OEM Michelin energy savers 205/60R16...presently have 51000 on the odometer..
    FYIW paid $550.00 for the complete set including shipping from Fla. to Ohio....
    Sold our OEM 17's(wheels,tires w/tpms) for $1000.00 inc. shipping to Cal.
    When it comes time to purchase new tires, I feel confident the 16"ers will be somewhat cheaper.
    BTW the 17's looked better than the 16's....

7. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that the 17's do ride harsh at time, but I love the way the steering feels and it take curves since the tires are low profile and are wider than what I'm used to on most Prii.

I had a 2005 with 15's and over 200,000 miles and it seemed to just float like an old Buick! It was actually very nice! My v five is a MUCH nicer car than that one ever was, but it sure doesn't ride near as smooth. I appreciate it for what it is though. Also I think the 17 inch wheels are drop dead gorgeous, and really finishes off the look of the larger fatter wagon. I think the 16 wheels on the v make the car look cheaper overall and sorta cheesy. But I do envy the better fuel economy and nicer ride!

I guess moral of the story; you can't have it all!

8. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is the 2017 Prius v Five still coming with the awful Toyo tires? Replacing them transformed the ride of our v: BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires transform ride quality | PriusChat

A set of four refurbished OEM 16" Prius v wheels are less than $500 from
    Replacement Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Wheels not including shipping and possibly some tax depending on where you live.

The refurbished OEM Toyota Sienna wheels I bought from Wheels and Caps in 2014 were absolutely like new and are still like new in their third winter of use with snow tires.

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you buy the 16* wheels from a v through a wrecking yard, you don't also need the (to me) ugly full hubcaps usually seen on the wheels. Mine are siting stacked up on a shelf in my garage. The wheels themselves look a bit like alloys and some cheap center caps with the Toyota logo are an eBay item.

Just posting your exact location should entice some offers for your existing wheels via private messages.

Every time I see the cars run by me with the ultra low profile tires I think of the next pothole.

10. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is all really great advice - thank you! The comfort question is much more important to me than the appearance. CLUBGUY, did you notice any significant changes in handling after you made the switch? And Offline, the link only goes up to model yeat 2014. My understanding is I need 2016-2017 - am I wrong about that?
    It would seem a logical first step would be to drive a v with the 16s. Then try changing out the tires on the 17s as Offline suggests (B.F Goodrich? Michelin? Bridgestone? Which is most comfortable?) But I'm prepared to make the full switch, as this could be a dealbreaker with an otherwise perfect car. I'm about five hours north of San Francisco.
    Silly question: the TPMS is the tire pressure sensor? And I'd have to have the dealer reset it if I went to 16s?

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tpms sensors measure pressure and cost upwards of $500 for a dealer to replace and reprogram your cars cpu. Switch out the sensors you have for zero incremental dollars. Try another car first with 16 s.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, too much expense and grief with debatable benefit. You've got the high end rims, rides a little rougher, but how much of an improvement is there, with all the machinations the step down to 16". Check the tire pressures too, maybe they're set high?

13. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, I agree. I'm going to try the BF Goodrich tires on my original rims and see how that goes. Pretty sure I can sell the Toyos online and come close to breaking even. Will report back.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Okay, I'm going to go for it - I've found OEM 16" rims on ebay and have picked out great tires (that happen to be on sale). Lowering tire pressure to specs helped a little, but not enough, and Costco is out of the BF Goodrich Comp-2s "indefinitely." My question: is there any reason an OEM 6.5x16 rim wouldn't fit on my 2017 v five? The bolt pattern is identical. And then I can just switch over my sensors, right?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure any other OEM would fit.

16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  17. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, that's a cool site. Thanks. Looks like it's a go. The offset for the 17s is 45, for the 16s is 39.

18. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Okay, it's a done deal, and I have to say I'm thrilled with the change - the Michelin Premiers are such a nice cushy ride, and I actually like the look of the hubcap-less OEM wheels (take-off, not remanufactured, $485 including shipping from Santa Ana Wheel). Mpg has gone up, noise has gone way down. Call me stodgy, but 16s work for me. Now I have pristine 17" alloys and nearly-new Toyos to sell. Any interest out there? They sure are pretty...

Attached Files:

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hang on to them man!

20. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle: