1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Entune w/ Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by QuintonD, Aug 19, 2016.

1. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most car manufacturers keep their crapy stuff and then have carplay/android auto as a "side option" that you click like choosing FM/AM/SAT/Carplay as a source.

Most aftermarket head units support android and CarPlay, but Toyota firmly won't support android(The licensing terms require them to hand over all of the driving data to google, including things like speeds and where you go to improve advertising and traffic information). CarPlay doesn't receive any data from your car.

My recommendation, get an aftermarket unit. See this post for what I did. Retained everything and received tons more features, can buffer all of my XM presets up to 60 minutes, even when I'm not listening to them, can fast forward and rewind, has tune start where whenever you change the channel it goes to the beginning of the song instead of where it is at, WIRELESS CarPlay, android, HDMI, backup camera, displays in MFD at top, and can adjust all of the OEM settings and more that used to require a Carista OBD app.

Aftermarket head unit for model 2 2016 Prius | Page 5 | PriusChat

There is no USB dongle that can be plugged into a Prius for CarPlay.