1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace front grille / bumper

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by chrisaw, May 25, 2021.

1. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey folks!

I ordered a replacement grille for my Prime (PHV here in the UK) which has the additional mount points for front parking sensors but have been unable to find a video / docs on how to switch it with the one already on the car.

Wondered if anyone has come across anything which could help? If not I'll have a poke around and try to figure it out.

Thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used front grille sub-assembly for my 2020 Prius Prime LE as a spare. It was off from 2017 PP Advanced and came with two parking sensors already mounted. My 2020 PP LE did not have sensors.

2019 Prius Prime Advanced - Front Grille Replacement | PriusChat

AFAIK, there are not many differences for the installation procedures of the front grille sub-assembly on Prius Prime (PHV in EU and Japan) for the one with or without sensors. In the US, Limited (earlier Advance) had two parking sensors attached to the base piece of the sub-assembly part which did not have on the lower trims without the sensors. If your car is without sensors and got a replacement grille sub-assembly that has sensor mounting holes, I would think you can simply plug it with some plastic plug or if you bought it used as I did, you can just leave the sensors in place but of course, will not be functional.

I ended up selling my 2020 PP, and thus never had a chance to install the "spare" grille on my car, but I still have this used and repaired grille in my garage. I don't know if this is any help, but I was going to follow the procedure written in the document linked below. The document is written in Japanse for Japanse Prius PHV (aka PRIME in the US). The photo shows which pins to remove. The procedure should be very similar for your Prius PHV.

https://www.aioinissaydowa-arc.co.jp/pdf/technical/technical_115.pdf

BTW, I reported the thread to be moved to the Prius Prime subsection of the forum. You have placed it in the Gen4 subsection.

chrisaw likes this.
  3. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, that is EXACTLY what I needed!!

I've managed to do the mod I wanted to do (replace the grille without sensors for one with sensors - now I can get my sensor install guy to mount them and have them look as OEM as possible!

It took me just over 2hrs from start to finish - managed to damage the Toyota badge so I've got that epoxy'ing back in but other than that - no harm done at all.

P.S. Apologies for posting in the wrong forum - posted this in a rush from the mobile app - oops!!

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I see, you bought a grille without sensor attachment holes, but your car has sensors. Yap, that will require some mod. If you don't mind, please share your mod and final look. As you know, the "glass jaw" of the Prius PHV is so fragile, there are so many owners needing to replace it. I for one had a crack on the acrylic piece on my 2017PP, that's why I purchased used grille subassembly just in case for spare. But, I ended up selling the car, so I no longer need it.

5. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the other way around.

No modding needed as such - my car doesn't have OEM sensors but I want to fit aftermarket ones.

I paid for a service to come and install them but the guy said there wasn't really a good place to install the front facing ones. He's installed the rear ones already but for the front facing ones he recommended the "clips he saw in a picture on Google" - yeah, turns out those clips are part of a whole other bumper (eugh!!)

So I imported another bumper from the US and installed it and now I've contacted the guy again to come and install the front sensors.

Will still, of course, post pictures of the after effects but I'm expecting it to look as OEM as possible. :)

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that sounds like an expensive mod just to add front sensors, I suppose for an aftermarket parking assist and such? Does it add Blind Spot Monitor and Cross Trafic Alert as well? Adding the sensor is just one hurdle, you still have to wire it to ECU and to the screen don't you? Does yours have an 11.6" screen?

AFAIK, you may be the first person reporting mod to add parking assist functionality on Prius Prime (PHV). Yeah, some people are very interested in seeing how to do such mod, and how much it cost.

7. chrisaw

chrisaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Zero additional functionality other than "BEEP BEEP BEEP" type sensors. Nothing fancy here at all.

I'm quite irked that I had to buy a replacement bumper and it was extremely expensive after shipping and import duty but it's installed and looks great - I'll take a picture (although it won't be very exciting until the sensors are in.)

Not using the DENSO modules which came with the bumper because I'd need a whole bunch of hardware which I don't have. No, don't have the large screen on mine.

All I really needed was a space to mount the third party sensors which use their own wiring, etc.

Once I've got them installed I'll post info about what they are and how they work (don't have the info to hand right now.)