1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace just one Tire -- or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought four new tires for the Prius about four years ago. Two years into those tires, with them about half-worn out, I kept having a slow leak in one of the tires. Tire shops could never find the leak. Got tired of putting air in every two weeks.

So, two years ago, replaced all four of those tires. Now, with those tires about half-worn -- you guessed it -- one tire has a slow leak. I have tightened the valve stem, etc., but about every two weeks have to add air.

I will take it into the local Les Schwab shop in the morning and see what they say, but, what the heck. If they can't find a leak, I guess I am looking at replacing the tire.

Is it worth it just to replace one tire --- is it smart to replace just one tire on the Prius -- will that screw up the traction control function?

The current tires have been discontinued, so I cannot replace with an exact same tire (current tires are Goodyear Weatherhandler FuelMax, which were a Sears exclusive).

Opinions?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always try to replace tyres in pairs, or sets of four. If you have a slow leak, it might be the sealing of the tyre on the rim. If it's a very old (steel) rim, there might be corrosion on the sealing surface of the rim. I've had problems with a previous Toyota (Corolla) with steel rims, where the tyres kept losing air, and the solution was to get new rims. (I tried getting rims from a local junk-yard (recycler, as they 're called nowadays)), but they were almost as bad as the ones on my car which were leaking! When installing the tyres, air them up to about 50- 60lbs to get the tyres to seal properly, and then reduce the pressure to whatever you use. - hope this helps - Wil :)

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just had one tire replaced several weeks ago due to a screw in the sidewall. :(
    There's been no noticeable difference in how the car handles, and no traction control alerts. Of course, as always, YMMV.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can, take the problem tire off, set it on the ground, and slowly roll it while looking closely at the tread. Have a small, flat blade screw driver at the ready, to pry out anything you notice. Most will be gravel/sand, but you might find a nail or screw.

If nothing turns up, then try a spray bottle of sudsy water on the whole tire, and look for bubbling spot.

If you do find something embedded, with any luck you can plug repair, or get a shop to do a more kosher repair.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use windex if I can't find anything stuck in the tire. if that doesn't work, put the tire in a big tub full of water and patiently look for an occasional small bubble. if it is a leak at the bead, they do make a bead sealant which any tire shop should have. it works good.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you need a new tire, you could experiment and see what happens with the purchase of just one tire.

It is recommended to at minimum replace both tires on an axle, and put the new tires on the rear so that the car would tend to understeer. In that case you would get rid of the worst tire of the remaining three tires.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you drove like me, you could have 4 different tyres.:p

8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you replace just one on the rear, you'll probably not notice any difference. If it's one of the front ones, then swap those two with the two rear wheels.

You might notice that your car will pull to one side when accelerating if you leave the new tire up front.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have you put a drop of oil in the air valve(looking for bubbles), tightening it won't stop a bubble of air every 10 minutes, yes, do two, the front tires wear much faster, if it's a rear, put the two new tires on the front, when the fronts wear, replace all four.

10. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bet they'll find the leak, plug it and you'll be on your way. I've had many a slow leak discovered and remedied by tire shops (usually a nail, but one was a drill bit).

I've replaced just one tire (picked up a spike that left a hole too big to plug) but it was with the exact same tire and the tire on the other side had practically no wear. I'd be hesitant to replace with a different tire, since true size can vary a fair bit between different tires of the same size. Handling issues could also result.

11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O.K. Original OP here:

So, the wheels are the stock alloy....

I took my wife's good extra virgin olive oil out a bit ago and tried to put that around the valve stem, but it did not want to stick. Then, wifey saw me and I gave it up altogether (seems she is protective of her virgin oil).

So, now I have put some soap on the end of the valve -- that did stick. Nothing yet. It has been about 30 minutes. The whole theory about cheap valve stems rings a bit true, but we will see. I will keep updating. And, I guess soap is cheaper than her "pressed by the gods" olive oil.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Might be the valve, but I'd put money on a small finishing nail, with the head showing, and easy to overlook.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I routinely do this when rotating tires. I use a small pair of long-nose pliers to pull out the rocks. I've found a few nails over the years using this approach, prior to the tire actually deflating.

Agree.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP again.

Tire shop took off the tire from the wheel, examined all around and could find no problem. Said it was most likely a tiny leak, although said there was a slight possibility that the dismount and remounting might solve the problem.

Told me to either live with it for the time-being and bring it in again if it continues to lose air, or buy two new tires. The tirebuster said if it were him, he'd wait and see rather than go for new tires right now.

No charge for the service or advice.

So, I am waiting....

BTW, Les Schwab only stocks one LRR tire -- the Toyo Versado. They go for $150 out the door (not including taxes).
    Toyo Versado Eco Tires - opinion? | PriusChat

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seems pretty expensive if you have 15" wheels. I would expect a Costco is located nearby in your area and if so, you can choose from the Michelin and Bridgestone brands there.

16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP here again.

So, it has been a week and two days since I put air in the tire in question (actually, the tire shop put the air in the tire).

Checked the tire this evening and it has NOT budged even a pound from the PSI from nine days ago.

Can't be certain, but maybe the tire shop pulling the tire off the alloy wheel and remounting it did the trick. Nothing else has changed! Before, it was losing about 10 pounds every two weeks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a leaking bead, fixed by re-mounting! Congratulations!

18. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if it leaks again, spray it with windex. wife shouldn't mind you using that, and it works good.

19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I plugged my last three problems, nails. Original tires.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found a small finishing nail, about an inch from edge of tread, in one of our OEM tires (Michelin Pilot) while it was off the car during winter. That wheel had been chronically losing air, like a pound or two per week. Took the tire/wheel to our dealership, they said "no dice, too close to edge of tread". I decided to try plug repair, a first for me. Worked out fine, this was maybe 3 years back, still using it.

Then about a year later, one of our snow tires caught a small bolt, about the same distance from edge of tread, noticed in a mall parking lot the tire was totally flat. Plug repaired it too. Again, no further problems.