1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replace Nav Computer with Under-seat sub

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by AlBundy100, May 3, 2022.

1. AlBundy100

AlBundy100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

I have been performing a variety of upgrades to my 2005 Prius (with JBL). I replaced the head unit with a new Kenwood double din with Apple Carplay and installed sound deadening.

My question is: Does the GPS computer under the driver's seat perform any important functions other than navigation that would render the car unusable if I removed it completely? Because I now have Carplay, I have no need for the built-in navigation and would like to use that space to install a small subwoofer.

I don't want to get a larger sub with an enclosure because I want to keep the trunk empty for transporting items. I've seen some people build custom small enclosures for 10" subs in the rear right/left cavities but I have no manufacturing skills and don't want to spend too much time making something of poor quality. I would buy a small enclosure that sat flush in the rear cavities but I can't find any.

Thanks for your time.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you try just unplugging it for a few days and seeing if you get any problems?

3. AlBundy100

AlBundy100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that would be the easy thing to do now wouldn't it :) In the process of diagnosing a separate issue (front left tweeter and door speaker barely play any sound) I looked at the schematics for the JBL amp and nav system (here) and can see the nav system receives several signals from the JBL amp and outputs others unrelated to navigation, one being the front left door speaker signal, so I can't just rip it out.

4. Brucetafer

Brucetafer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    its part of the AVC-LAN and BEAN system, will throw codes but in my 09 everything worked fine except nav and the maintenance menus.. as long as the system sees 60-80 ohms everything should work fine.. but do remember its connected to the bk/up lp relay, combination meter and MFD..