1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Front SWAY bar links on an 04'!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ana Hernandez, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Ana Hernandez

Ana Hernandez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anybody dared to make this task a diy? SWAY bars links, SWAY bar bushings AND Strut mounts (since I changed the springs and struts a couple of months back but had forgotten to purchase the mount- rookie here).

If anybody has pictures, videos, links on how to replace these parts or all I would highly appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say mounts you mean the top steering bearing? Yeah thats important. You won't believe how much easier it is to steer with new bearings. Got to pull the strut back out to replace those.

The sway bar links usually called stab links are pretty easy compared to the struts. Buy oem online. After markets are crap.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius fits the same front and rear sway-bars as recent model Corollas.

The most common mod is to get an upgraded rear sway bar 22-26mm like this one.

Then get a stock 24mm sway bar out of Corolla at a junkyard, or buy one online like this one for $60-70:
    https://ahparts.com/buy-used/2015-Toyota-Corolla-Sway-FRONT-STABILIZER-BAR-48811-AB011-48811AB011/100587-1

Here's a good thread on this: Cheap suspension upgrade: Front and rear sway bar? | PriusChat

Doing this is one of my upcoming Prius mods! (y) Note: double check your fit, before purchasing.

4. Ana Hernandez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okie doke!! What website do you use? I was thinking getting MOOG's. OE with Toyota Dealer run at $130 ea. For simple the links -.-

5. Ana Hernandez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking to replacing sway bar LINKS buddy not the actual bar!! Thank you for the links tho!

6. Ana Hernandez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are the torque specs? Anyone knows?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Moog suck. Olatthe toyota $87 each.