1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

reputable PRIUS mechanical shops in the GTA (Toronto)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Prican, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Prican

Prican Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,
    i am considering getting a prius, but i am hesitating because of the ability for repair. i have a mechanic i use for my car, but i dont know if he can work on a hybrid.

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the GTA (Toronto) who works on prius (part of their bread and butter). i saw someone on the forums mention J&JW, but unless you live in mississauga (west GTA), it is really out of the way. I am more central GTA,

This issue can potentially be a non-starter for me, and i dont want it to be. I do not want to take it to the stealership as i dont trust many of them to be honest.

Can i take the car to a non-hybrid mechanic for parts not directly linked to the drivetrain?
    any experience in thie area is appreciated.
    thanks
    -Prican

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius at its peak of sales over the past 15 years were putting 25K new cars on US roads every month... There's so many of these cars that any mechanic who works on a lot of cars has worked on them. They aren't much different than other cars as far as a mechanic is concerned. As for the electric aspects of the car that most mechanics have less experience with, there's always someone in a big city with that experience. And most auto mechanics have always sucked at electrical troubleshooting regardless of what type of car anyways.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Prican

Prican Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    its good to knowmost mechanics can work on them. from your experience, are repairs commonly electrical related?
    and i 'm looking for that person in the GTA. does anyone on the forum wants to chime in on that?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like their trucks, there's not many Toyota repairs to expect in general but if things go bad for repairs they can be 5 times as bad as non-hybrid car, most of which are electrical. But a used lemon Prius is rare. Learn more here: Did you buy a Prius with 100K+ miles? Share your story here! | PriusChat

5. Prican

Prican Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    can we move this thread to the main forum to see if anyone knows a reputable mechanic in toronto as it is not necessarly a noob question (my bad)?
    thanks
    -Prican

6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Resurrecting a very old thread.

I bought my car from J&JW in Milton. However, the Toronto Hybrid Meetup recommends Autodex in Vaughan. Someone else also pointed out Bullock City Auto Services in Markham. Just google them for the address.

I haven't visited any of these hybrid mechanics yet because I change my own oil. I will eventually need to visit one.

Choroidal, Mendel Leisk and Skibob like this.
  7. s11

s11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bumping this one up as Mony at Autodex is retired. Having an absolute devil of a time finding anyone else who specializes in Prius' in the Greater Toronto Area save for J and JW.

#7 s11, Jul 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial:

GTA stands for Greater Toronto Area.