1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reversing camera angle adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Sep 2, 2020.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So I upgraded to the latest firmware. I'm not sure if it's related, but the bottom quarter of my reversing camera image is suddenly my number plate. It wasn't like this before. It doesn't feel loose or anything similar. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the reversing camera angle, either physically or via software (e.g. the engineering menu)?

Mambo Dave likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps @Elektroingenieur knows of something? If the camera housing isn't loose or hasn't been removed and reattached, then there must be something that happened in the update.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Wow. I'll stick around for the answer to this one.

I've always been curious of Honda's three-view-angles from one camera in their rear cameras. Normal, then about 170-degrees, and then almost straight down to the bumper (I could back the car within less than a centimeter of an object). I wonder if programming / firmware was how they achieved it, now, instead of three different lenses?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Unfortunately, I don’t know of any adjustment for the rear camera on U.S. or European models; see my previous posting.

alanclarkeau and jerrymildred like this.
  5. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So I went into the hidden Engineering menu on the sat nav (turn on car without brake into Accessory mode, hold media button down while switching headlights from side lights to Auto 3 or 4 times), and went to Function / Check Setting, then Camera Setting appeared there but it was greyed out. I pressed the brake and Start to go into Ready mode, hit Back on the screen then back into Function / Check Setting and Camera Setting was then available. Pressed that and one of the options is Back Camera Setting, but it's greyed out. Tried putting it into Reverse, but nothing changed. No idea what to try next. So close...

Attached Files:

alanclarkeau, jerrymildred and krmcg like this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks for sharing the photos. That button might be a vestige of the head unit software for certain Japanese models, on which the rear view camera is often added as a dealer-installed option, with guide lines that have to be configured.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm pretty sure the license plate has always been displayed on the bottom 25% of the screen, at least.

What I would love to see is a panning camera that pans in the direction you are backing up into.

8. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I have the guide lines and steerable lines on my camera (UK model).

You'd think there'd be some way to calibrate them in software.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I'm certain mine has moved. Not only are the fixed guidelines on the display much further to the left than they were (I'm not hitting the kerb with my tyres before the lines touch it, previously I'd be 4" away), but I've never noticed my number plate before. I'm sure all i could see was the very edge of the bumper.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yeah that's exactly how mine work too.

I'm not sure if I was clear before, but when I said "I'm certain mine have moved", I meant that I'm sure the alignment of those guidelines, or perhaps the camera, has moved recently. The camera feels solid and it doesn't physically move when I try to move it by hand. I can't see any damage to it or anything that supports it. It feels like a software calibration has been reset during the firmware update... but that's just a feeling.

12. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    You can only select the type of back up lines in the nav setup/vehicle/back up camera setting but no way to adjust them.
    Interestingly, my 2016's engineering menu is slightly different to yours, yours looks like the Gen 3 and the Prius+ ones I had did, are you sure you have the correct update ?
    My camera setting button takes me to the same screen as your last one, unfortunately with the camera option greyed out like yours. :(

13. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Well... I guess it's possible it's the wrong update. However, I'd be surprised if the wrong update worked at all on this head unit, or that it would allow it to install. The Toyota website (UK) only provides updates that are specific to your VIN number, and the version number matches what I expected it to be.

Ah well... I can get used to it.

kithmo likes this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I suspect the camera has a wider angle view than what we see on the screen and it's gone into a different part of that view, so there's got to be some way to adjust it, probably dealer only though. :(
    You never know, the next update may bring it all back in line again, hopefully. ;)

15. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yeah I'd be surprised if there wasn't some way to do exactly that in software.

#15 The Professor, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Bring on the next update. ;)