1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Road hazard oopsies

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chanterelle, Dec 13, 2020.

1. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Earlier in the week, I was driving on the freeway and a six inch thing flew into my car from the cars in front of me. It seemed to hit where it did very little damage (knock on wood), on the black part right between the blue areas.

Today, as I was driving, a piece of wood about an inch thick and a square foot seemed to spin right into my car, and knocked out both the left tow hook cover and the triangular black piece next to the vertical lights. I can't figure out which parts to try to order so the car doesn't look ghetto. Also, all the tow hook covers I see are black. Help, please? IMG_20201213_161814403.jpeg IMG_20201213_162133464.jpeg IMG_20201213_161824105.jpeg IMG_20201213_161826775.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, the joys of cali freeways :(

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In your third and fourth photos, the front bumper hole cover RH (part number 52127-47909) is missing. When identifying parts, left and right are from the perspective of someone seated in the car.
    This part, like many exterior plastic parts, is sold unfinished, probably because it’s assumed to require painting to match the surrounding surfaces, on which the original finishes may have faded and weathered over time.

In your first photo, there are two damaged parts: the front bumper extension LH (52113-47901, for cars without Intelligent Clearance Sonar), which also requires painting, and the radiator grille sub-assembly (53101-47041), which doesn’t.

Your third and fourth photos show damage to the front bumper extension RH (52112-47901, for cars without Intelligent Clearance Sonar), but it’s difficult to say whether it would need to be replaced or just refinished.

In your fourth photo, the fog lamp cover RH (81481-47140, for cars without fog lights) is missing. I can’t tell if the front turn signal lamp assembly RH (81510-47120, for cars without fog lights) has also been damaged.

The thing in your second photo appears to be a drift or bull pin.

Parts catalog references:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes you CAN'T dodge stuff, but: increasing your following distance will help, reduce the incidences. Good for mpg too.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This was in the middle of the road earlier this year for the wife to find:mad::

7E9931D0-0A05-4B1D-8C1E-A3851DA7946B.jpeg EC80E1EF-C373-4ADD-956E-1580F9DD075D.jpeg

In the middle of rush hour traffic, lane changing wasn't an option:cool:.

So insurance claim it was;).

It took the body shop a bit to get things back to normal, but she's happy again:love:.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Many years back, one time I drove over a pallet, diamond oriented, right in middle of lane. Didn't see till too late.

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember reading in another thread about someone driving over a metal object dropped by someone on the highway that caused tons of damage to the underside of the car. I can't remember for sure but the car was near totaled?

The "six-inch thing" shown in the photo looks very dangerous. OMG, what if that flew into the front windshield... especially if it came through the front of you or the passenger. Sorry to see your car damaged, but you should feel lucky that it did not cause more damage than it really did.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't see a jack handle in the road not long ago. Black metal laying on black asphalt is kind of invisible. I really dodged a bullet there. The left front tire apparently kicked it up and it speared the plastic undercarriage cover just in front of the left rear tire and came through the wheel well rubbing the inside edge of the tire. Had it been an inch to the left it would have speared and destroyed the tire and then probably gone for a few orbits around the tire ripping up all kinds of stuff. As it was, there are just two small and hidden holes in the plastic. WHEW!!!

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ooopses indeed!

That spike like thing in the first post picture appears to be a pin used in assembling scaffolds.

I've hit a few things on the road. Now I try to stay as far as practical from the cars in front of me.

Dan

jerrymildred likes this.